back to article Android, BlackBerry phone owners favour Apple tablet

Now the Fandroids are not going to like this, and are advised to look away lest they suffer an apoplectic fit and shower their keyboards in even more drool than usual. US market watcher Maritz Research asked 2500 North American smartphone owners which tablet they would like to get. Many said they'd like an iPad, Forbes reports …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. jonathanb Silver badge

Seems about right

My phone is a Samsung Galaxy S, and I got an iPad in the Black Friday sale.

The simple reason is that I'm not going to pay more money for an Android slab, ie the unreduced iPad price.

1. tmTM

Truth right there

it's pretty much a given that the ipad is the best tablet, the OS is silky smooth and hardware-wise the ipad 2 is much faster than the current Tegra2 Android tablets.

So why would anyone want to pay even close to ipad money for an Android tablet?

1. HMB

I agree.

I own a Nexus One, looked seriously at an iPhone but if nothing else the screen size was a deal breaker. Lack of free sat nav and a few other features further soured the iPhone milk.

With an iPad, those issues go away. It's the silkiest smooth tablet I've seen. It's polished and refined. I hope that Android will get there one day.

Given £400 to spend on a tablet I would put it on the iPad any day. I actually ended up spending £200 on an HP Touchpad with the knowledge that ICS would come to it though.

So really this report wasn't the slightest bit surprising. I find the android fanbois disappointing but I guess somewhat inevitable.

2. Locky
    Pint

Not really a shock

The iPads are the premium brand in tablets at the moment, it's like asking if someone would like a all expensise paid car, and to choose between a Ford Focus, a VW Golf and a Ferrari Enzo.

Next week, IT departments, do they prefer to drink beers on Friday afternoons or do complience training?

1. mended

They're not even much more expensive...

Armchair comparison: assume you're lazy and looking for a tablet at pcworld. The sony s is £349.99. An iPad 2, also 16gb is £399.99. That's 14% extra for better build quality, faster performance, longer battery life, better base of apps, likelihood of being supported for longer and a bigger screen thrown in as well (in 4:3 not too short 16:9). Unless you got a touchpad in the firesale like me you'd have to really, really want android or usb slots built in to go for anything else.

It's annoying-apple know they have a hit on their hands so they can bulk-order components, make it for less than the competition and still turn a healthy profit which they can then use to fund R&D to stay ahead. Unless they stumble I can't see what's going to beat them in the tablet market.

3. My Alter Ego
    Linux

Not foaming at the mouth - Appley things are more polished.

I don't own a single Apple product, I've a Nexus One and eeePC Transformer*. However whenever I use an iPad (1 or 2), I find it's a much more polished product.

As a developer though, I'm in the 1% that takes issue with Apple's love of locking everything down, something the average consumer has no reason to concern themselves about. Currently none of the tablets tick every box for *me*, but when one finally does there's no doubt it'll be an Android one.

* I still take my ThinkPad (with SSD, GPS, 3g & Linux) around with me when I need to do real work though.

4. timhowarduk

Tablets <> smartphones

Order of events:

1) I get HTC Desire and like it.

2) I get macbook to complement windows laptop and like it.

3) I get iPad and like it a LOT.

4) I wonder about iPhone to match and get one. I couldn't live with the smaller screen size and (personal view) inferior keyboad compared to Desire and gave it to my wife, who loved it.

Equally I am not tempted by an Android tablet (yet), and until someone can manage roughly the same battery life as iPad for significantly cheaper I won't be shifting.

To my mind they have different jobs and at the moment (for me) the best tool for each job happens to be in different worlds.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I have a Jesus phone but an Android tablet. Presumably I'm doing something wrong?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

Then I must be doing something even WORSE...

...because I have a Motorola Droid Bionic and a 16 GB BB Playbook. Purchased the Playbook on "Beige Wednesday" (before the "Black Friday" CF here) from Best Buy for USD199.00.

2. Field Marshal Von Krakenfart
      Joke

No, you are just a equally valued person that is OS non-preferential or possibly you are transOSgendered

3. Eponymous Bastard

Spit roast?

6. Tony Paulazzo

I've got an HTC Desire Android phone (which I love) a Windows PC and an ipad 1. Whilst I'm a fanboi of Android phone and Windows PC I'm still not sure what my next tablet will be (future Transformer with SD card might be sweet but I've learned to live within the 16GB limit of the ipad and cloud).

My music library lives on my phones SD card.

Even tho' I've invested in ipad software, trust the security of the ipad ecosystem (in point of fact I now only do online shopping and banking on my ipad), and prefer the non widescreen aspect and battery life, I really dislike the Apple way of doing business (which, in reality impacts me pretty much not at all). But, if the ipad 3 comes out with retina display and comparable battery life I'll probably just upgrade to a 32 GB version, unless the competition do three things:

1. Same high quality display and battery life

2. Include an SD slot

3. Perceptibly cheaper price

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oooh, that's too much suppering!

Nothing to add, really.

8. JeffyPooh
    Pint

Works THE OTHER WAY too...

Our household has two iPhones (three if you count the one that's not quite working properly), and two iPod Touches.

I'd been looking at the iPad, but the $520 starting price was a non-starter. Yes, I know that the iPhones cost a lot more in the long run, but smart phones are "essential", and the monthy bill is exactly the same for any smart phone.

Then I walked past the RIM BlackBerry PlayBook display when they just went on sale for $300, and it was an easy decision to grab one. I wanted the Flash Audio capability to listen to Mark Coles world music Shedcast without being tied to a laptop (Apple products are not compatible). Since then, now that the PlayBook has been on sale for $200, I've bought two more as Xmas gifts and everyone in the office has bought one or two (over a dozen at last count).

Even though our family are "Apple fans" (with respect to the smaller devices and the entire ecosystem), the $500+ iPad is still a non-starter. We're not THAT much of a fan. A high quality $200 tablet is an easy spur of the moment decision; the $500+ iPad certainly is not. Given that each has their own advantages (e.g. Flash, convenient size, build quality, etc.), it's six-of-one vs. a half-dozen of the other (but with a huge price disparity).

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I may be a fandroid but...

I don't "supper" fools gladly!

10. Captain Hogwash

"...supper an apoplectic fit..."

Surely the only tablet needed would be an indigestion tablet. What are the respondents' preferences? Tums? Rennie? We must be told!

11. Admiral Grace Hopper

OS Loyalty

If we're only supposed to stick to our preferred OS across all platforms, can I have a VME tablet please? I'll use VMS for second preference, just anything rather than Windows.

12. Doogie1
    Gimp

Assimilated! Where's the Borg icon when you need it ;-)

13. Armando 123

No surprise

A lot of frustration with the iPhone has come from using AT&T exclusively until recently. That has changed, of course, but contracts don't end overnight.

However, most of the Android phones are lower end phones. They were smartphones whose great feature was "lower price". If the Android tablets cost the same as an iPad, the Android tablet is missing the one feature (price) that induced a lot of people to buy the Android phones.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

"......advertising sells products better than technological virtuosity does"

Which is why ipeople tend to be a bit thick. Droid owners can see through the hype and don't want to be tarred by the same brush as the easily swayed ipeople.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Gimp

"Which is why ipeople tend to be a bit thick."

And why fandroids are the new fanbois. Smug, arrogant and humourless? Check!

1. Markl2011

"And why fandroids are the new fanbois. Smug, arrogant and humourless? Check!"

No he's that because he's a bigot not because he's a fandroid.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I purchased a samsung GSII for 'wor lass a short while ago. I bought a tablet for her as a secret xmas box.

Then I thought, hang on, she won't use it. The tab doesnt send text messages or calls. Since this is all she seems to do, she'd not use the tab.

So if you've got a large screen phone, what exactly is the point of getting a tablet??

16. Rupert Stubbs

"It just shows that branding is key"?

Er... only in the sense that producing a demonstratively better user experience - and then showing it to people in adverts - is key.

1. turnip handler

Sure?

iPad adverts show the ipad and apps being held, they don't really use the device being used...

Where iPhone adverts show the phone being used they still have to show a disclaimer to cover the fact that they shorten the sequence for effect.

The adverts are polished and asperational, not functional. Brand sells, not functionality.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The most important function is a good user experience.

Harder to define and measure than some other functions, but far more important. I don't care if your new tablet can take me to the moon--if it's not an enjoyable user experience, it's a non-starter.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

41% does not a majority make

I'm not a fandroid. I mean, I have an Android phone and an Android tablet and this is a pro Android rant but I'm not a fandroid... I swear... why just last week I proposed that if my mother-in-law wanted a tablet she should get an iPad for ease of use.

Anyway, back to the point. You say that Android phone users favour the iPad. Well, 41 % do I guess, but leading with that is kind of misleading. Do the other 59% still prefer Android tablets? I get that they are different manufacturers, but you started off talking about OS and then stated the percentages for the manufacturers...?

1. Silverburn
      Happy

How to gain a majority

Here's a thought - if Apple want a true majority to ensure they can run the market, why don't they form a coalition with one of the smaller players who are willing to sacrifice all their principles and previous loyal customers just to piggy-back some market share?

Sound familiar for some reason...must be because it's a proven formula which has worked so well in the past...

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Android owners want an iPad now and will probably buy an iPhone next.

1. Tony Smith, Editor, Reg Hardware (Written by Reg staff)

Re:

Careful dude, you're turning into an anti-Barry Shitpeas.

Maybe we should bring the two of you together and... BOOM

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I suspect many people en up with Android handsets as they are cheaper and more often given as free upgrades and when it comes to choosing between a 'smart' phone (that looks like an iPhone) or yet-another candy bar Nokia you will go with the smart phone with the large screen etc.

The problem is many Android users will just treat it as a phone and little else.

However, the situation is different with tablets are you are choosing it and paying for it with your own cash (rather than getting it free / subsidised as many phones are). When you 'choose' like that you want the iPad as simply - for most people - it's the best.

75% of the (pretty huge) 'tablet' market is iPad - they are not all fanboys and girls.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

41% want an iPad - that does not mean that 59% want other tablets - it means 59% want other tablets or NO tablet at all.

I suspect if they drilled it down to just the people who actually wanted a tablet (at all) probably 75-80%+ would want an iPad.

75% of all tablets sold are Apple iPads - if I remember correctly no other manufacturer had more than about 5% each.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"So if you've got a large screen phone, what exactly is the point of getting a tablet??"

Do you want a 19" TV in your lounge for a 46" one?

For me large screen phones are too big as phones but too small to use for proper web browsing / watching videos - think the iPhone and iPad are just right as a phone and a tablet.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Which is why ipeople tend to be a bit thick. Droid owners can see through the hype and don't want to be tarred by the same brush as the easily swayed ipeople."

Or maybe the opposite is true and iPeople want a device to 'work' (very) well as a tablet and do not want to spend their evenings fiddling, rooting it or installing ginger-ice-creamy-biscuit or custom ROMs to get it to 'work'.

75% of the market is more than just fanboi's!

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Then I walked past the RIM BlackBerry PlayBook display when they just went on sale for $300, and it was an easy decision to grab one."

So it was you that bought one.

It's funny how people are - sometimes they would rather spend $300 on something they did not 'really' want rather than save up a bit longer for what they did - guess it's call compromise.

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Since then, now that the PlayBook has been on sale for $200, I've bought two more as Xmas gifts and everyone in the office has bought one or two (over a dozen at last count)."

Get them while you can if that is what you want but it's like the HP tablet - they HAVE to drop the price to get people to buy but they are selling at a LOSS. So fast forward 6-12 months and they have binned it and all support for it and you have an expensive doorstop.

At least an iPad is likely to still be around / working / supported in a couple of years.

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I wanted the Flash Audio capability - except Flash is near enough dead.

26. Rick Cross

I Have Both

I use my iPhone 4 for business and my HTC EVO 4G for personal use. I've also got an iPad 1 and had a Vizio VTAB1008 8" tablet. The Vizio went back.

I prefer the Android interface. True multitasking and Widgets make the device a big part of my workflow. So much so that I SHOULD be using the Android phone for business and the iPhone 4 for games and media.

I use the iPad for eBooks, games, videos and remote access to work computers. Since I don't care for most games on Android, except for gaming, most any Android tablet would be a better choice for me than an iPad.

I see the iPad as a really big iPod (I gave my Touch to my wife for eBook reading) and the better Android tabs as being more like a computer. The Kindle Fire may run Android, but the configuration of it (Amazon eBook, Amazon Music, Amazon Movies) make it compete more with the iPad than against other Android tablets.

That said, unless the iPad 3 turns out to be some fantastic device, I'm seriously looking at the Asus Transformer Prime for my next tablet. I think that the second generation Android tablets are going to kick some iButt.

1. Silverburn
      Windows

Wait...

I think that the second generation Android tablets are going to kick some iButt.

Wait - didn't they say that last year? So next year will be the 3rd gen Androids, surely?

Third time lucky an' all that, or next xmas we'll be repeating the same statement, incremented by 1 version.

Fandroid icon required...

1. Craigness
        FAIL

One could argue that some 2nd gen android tablets are already on sale, but even those still use the 1st gen OS version. Asus's 2nd gen has been out for 2 days and Samsung hasn't released on yet unless you count Galaxy Tab 10.1N, so it's too early to dismiss them.

2. Craigness

Marketing again

It's not the configuration of the Kindle Fire, it's that people know what it's for. If you go to Android Market you'll see sections for Games, Apps, Books and Movies. In the US there's a section for Music too. And they've recently released Catalogs (shopping) and Currents (for periodicals). The Google ecosystem doesn't come up short, it's just not pushed hard enough.

27. JeffyPooh

"...an expensive doorstop..."

How did you arrive at that nonsensical proposition? A. It's not expensive. B. Even if RIM dried up and blew away tomorrow (less than likely), the PlayBook will still do its thing long past the point where the user has moved on to the latest gadget (roughly three years).

The PlayBook or similar bargains are the Internet behind a lovely capacitive touch screen. They typically play streaming audio, including Flash. I. Do. Not. Care. about the long term implications of QNX vice iOS in a device that will be effectively obsolete in three years.

Many consumers are suffering from cognitive disorders that are impacting their decision making skills. For example, the lunacy of thinking that a particular gadget du jour (e.g. iPod 2) as being "The Last Gadget I Will Ever Buy" ™.

The PlayBook will be an *inexpensive* doorstop in three years.

The iPad 2 will be a reassuringly-expensive doorstop in thirty-six months.

Perhaps I'll buy an iPad 3 or 4 in about three years...

28. Azzy

Apple overwhelmingly dominates the tablet market.

Android has a large share of the phone-OS market - a large enough share that their users would HAVE to prefer the iPad, otherwise they Apple couldn't have the market share that they do! (even assuming that iPhone users will never buy any tablet other than an iPad, which is probably pretty close to the truth).

29. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Advertising and polish

Yes, the ipad is easier to use, the UI is fluid. Nice games, OK browser, very good battery life. Premium feel. It is the current The Tablet.

On the other side of the fence Android tablets are still first edition (the second-gen Asus Transformer Prime Ultra Mega Powered By Tegra III will be out soon, but it isn't out yet, and will come with Honeycomb, which is occasionally a bit rough around the edges). Tegra 2 is not as fast as the stuff in ipad 2. Combined with the semi-hardware accelerated Honeycomb, the resource burden of multitasking, the added complexity of having options (widgets etc), the math is simple. ipad is more appealing (apart from the walled garden obviously).

That said, I expect the lead to shrink and disappear in time. The new Asus device is no ipad2 beater, but it sure has a lot going for it (very good battery life, detachable keyboard/USB host/SD/extra battery thing, excellent performance). It IS a premium product, and if I were to buy a tablet I'd choose it over the ipad in a heartbeat. Sort of nice to be able to connect stuff through USB, for instance, making it more than a flashy toy/media consumption device and into a light work device.

But I'll wait. I don't need a tablet, being surrounded by computers. And will probably but a Vita in time, to play games with a real controller.

30. Andy Watt
    Stop

From the article -

"That's the trouble, people. Generally speaking, advertising sells products better than technological virtuosity does."

Wrong, wrong, wrong. Apple's got slick ads, but word of mouth and hand-to-hand wow factor is more. People who have iPads tend to be mavens (fandroid's call em "sheep") so they rave about the product. So more people buy it and - guess what - the product actually lives up to the hype.

It's not the hardware specs, it's not just the advertising. It's giving people a coherent, usable and seamless user experience and then letting people sell your product for you.

The old tech is dead. Long live the new tech, where companies have to think of people instead of shitty lists of hardware specs.

1. Craigness
      FAIL

Maven doesn't mean sheep

It means expert. The sheep are called sheep, not the experts. "Fandroids" (those are the people who sell google's products for them, 'eh?) needs no apostrophe, but "em" does. I'm ere to help.

Old and tech is not dead, and it won't be killed by having the lists of specs removed. What you're describing there is the death of the old advertising. It's true that advertising sells products better than technological virtuosity, a claim which you chose not to disprove, only deny.

31. MikeHuk
    Thumb Down

Why would I need a tablet at all!

This survey does not seem to ask the question, "Do you intend buying a tablet".I am one of those who will not be buying a tablet!

I have a Windows 7 desktop, a Windows 7 laptop and an HTC Desire phone. I can't think what I would use a tablet for. My next purchase will be an UltraBook.

32. rvt

Locky,

your analogy isn't correct because all tablets are affordable by normal people (to some extend) comparing a VW with a Enzo is just out of the line since a Enzo is so much more expensive then a VW.

At least, I haven't seen a Enzo that's priced 60% more then a VW.

STay real here...

33. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So Fandroid users are only cheap bastards

... when it comes to things that can be closer to their hearts. I'll let the readers imagination go down the implication pathways.

1. Craigness
      FAIL

Get your insults right!

Android is the operating system, Fandroid is a term of abuse generally used by tech iGnorants. QED.

34. Rambo 1
    Thumb Up

I'm a 10-year BlackBerry user who has an iPad (original). I guess I'm just too predictable. I also have a BlackBerry PlayBook and it sucks. The iPad didn't just raise the bar - it IS the bar.

35. RubberJohnny

No Contest

I could have got me a dual core Honeycomb tablet for £140. But the iPad is the only useful tablet so I paid triple for it without any problem at all. I chose sirloin steak instead of a pot noodle.

1. Craigness
      FAIL

Marketing...

...ignore it and save yourself £280 with a useful android tablet.

36. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

We are an equal opportunities household

I have a HTC Desire, my partner has a iPhone4s phone. I have an iPad, my partner has a HP Touchpad (bought in firesale). We have also used Android tablets and by far the clear winner is the iPad.

The iPad is slick with a better build quality and the software is silky smooth and flawless. It's just overall a much more enjoyable device to use. Infact the iPad is SO easy to use that I might end up joining her to the darkside and getting an iPhone when my contract is up too.

37. Ian Johnston Silver badge

I've got an Android phone (Galaxy S) and a an Android tablet (Galaxy Tab 10.1). The phone is brilliant but the tablet is a piece of bug-ridden, unreliable, crash-prone shit.

38. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I could express my lack of surprise that Blackberry owners are envoius of another platform, any platform.

I could express my lack of surprise at people who were clearly looking for a new platform (android) feeling downheartened by Google's mid 90's Microsoft-esq persona.

I could express my lack of surprise that people interested in iPads went Android because of Apple's unjustifiable price tag.

I could express lack of surprise at an uneducated consumer base shunning Samsung's Galaxy for Samsung processor based iPads.

Or I could just repeat my mantra that statistics can prove anything and that 86.37% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like