back to article Devon villagers chip in for mobile coverage platform

Community leaders in a south Devon village are planning to build a concrete platform so those wanting to use their mobile phones can climb up and use it to pick up a network signal. The 200 residents of East Prawle can't get coverage from any of the mobile phone networks. But after a holidaymaker discovered that an Orange …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

not very mobile

Surely this is almost the same as using their geographically fixed home telephones.... aside from the fact their home phones are in nice warm and dry homes....

As for the tourists, what ever happened to the good ole callbox?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just like Africa

Curiously similar to http://www.newint.org/columns/currents/2004/03/01/talk/index.php except it's presumably free!

3. Dan

It makes sense

Standing on a bench could be dangerous.

4. Jason

No surprises that the UK is so far behind.

My sister and mother live in Cornwall and can't even receive channel 5 yet, let alone Cell service. Psychotically it looks like the analog transmitters will be turned off before the local transmitter will be upgraded. Great planning!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Airwaves

So, effectively, a roofless phone box. Hmm.

As for digital in the South-West, the problem is that if they increase the transmitter power for digital now, they drown out the analog (since they share frequency bands), hence they need to turn off the analogue first, then give people a better digital signal. So, a major systems upgrade with no decent service during the overlap period? I pay my license fee, etc etc, rant rave.

A shame really that so much new kit is being released with digital tuners but no analogue (unlike the Panasonic HardDisk / DVD recorder I carefully chose and ordered which then became discontinued before I received it so I am getting the 'newer better' model for the same price but guess what? No PAL tuner. Luckily I have a good signal, otherwise I would be asking for an 'older, worserer' model instead)

6. Andy Davies

Aerial?

Wouldn't it be possible for them to put up some sort of aerial/ repeater setup?

AndyD 8-)#

7. Luca Spiller

You think Cornwall is bad....

I am in the heart of Exeter and can't get Channel 5 or Freeview.....

The same goes for mobile coverage on Orange.....

8. Andy Davies

Aerial?

Wouldn't it be possible for them to put up some sort of aerial/ repeater setup?

AndyD 8-)#

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I am going to have to redial......

......because there is a terrible echo on this post

10. Sacha Obado

Orange Coverage

Well Orange is using the gsm 1800 band which is not viable for rural coverage as it is more suited for urban coverage. It would be beat to put a repeater setup or petition orange to setup a base station.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like