back to article Small biz owners plan for stingy Xmas celebrations

More than half of small biz owners are cancelling Christmas – well the annual festive lunch to be specific – as cash is in short supply. This is according to research by the Forum of Private Business, which states a new wave of Scrooges have emerged in the current climate who are unwilling to shower staff with cheap wine and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What is this "annual festive lunch" of which you speak? All my works meals have been organised by the workers, outside working hours, and PAYG.

AC, obviously.

2. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge
    Mushroom

Oh well

least it means I wont have to goto the annual works xmas party cum slagging off session/punch up/ court appearance/hospital visit this year

Nuke icon... because thats what usually happens.....

3. Aaron Em

"The benefits of an annual get-together cannot be underestimated"

No need to put one on, then, I suppose...

4. Alan 6

I've been working full time since 1988, and the only time my employer sprung for Christmas lunch for the staff I was working for a company owned, run, and staffed almost entirely by Muslims, WASPs were definitely in the minority there but we got a full Turkey & trimmings Christmas lunch on the last day before the Christmas break.

1. Uncle Slacky Silver badge
      Headmaster

Of course, you realise...

...that Jesus is honoured by Muslims as a prophet (AKA "Isa"), just not as the Messiah, so I'm not surprised that they'd do this.

5. Code Monkey
    Pint

How about giving me £30 to go and get pished with my real friends instead?

1. MJI Silver badge

You have real friends?

I worked out the nearest things I have to friends are workmates and people I play online with.

6. Captain Hogwash
    WTF?

"...motivate staff, and reward them..."

What planet is he on? I have studiously ignored works Christmas dos for 10 years and this is, in part, what prevents me from becoming demotivated.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Mushroom

" I have studiously ignored works Christmas dos for 10 years..."

Likewise. Couldn't agree more!

Like the folks I work with...but have absolutely no desire to "party" with them.

And this "Secret Santa" BS really makes me nauseous!

7. TonyHoyle

Office christmas? Aargh.

Seriously.. does anyone actually go to these things willingly?

At least the current place has the smarts to do the food bit first so I can get the free meal then get the hell out before the 'party' starts.

8. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Unhappy

Has it not perhaps occurred to the numpty that the reason SMALL businesses aren't putting on Crimbo dos, is because SMALL businesses have been shafted by the government, w^HBankers, energy suppliers and multinationals, to the extent they simply can't afford it.

9. LarsG

IF YOU DON'T GO QUESTIONS...

are asked why, if you do go you are damned.

The worst ones are when they include spouses, then you never get a chance to sh*g the bosses wife or the office bike.

1. Code Monkey
      Boffin

Show up, eat the meal, have a few drinks on the bastards, leave earlyish. Thus avoiding being the one that gets talked about/asked to see HR the next day.

10. Dazed and Bemused
    Pint

"10 point plan"

I think a 10 pint plan might be slightly more useful?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Bollocks to that

I am the MD of a small IT consultancy - Blueloop Ltd. We are throwing the usual annual Xmas dinner with all you can drink thrown in for good measure for all staff plus 1 this year.

@TonyHoyle - we usually get 100% turn out.

Strangely enough we value our staff and they seem to appreciate it.

I may even bring back my "state of the firm whilst stood on the dinner table" speech. I'm fairly sure this pub's tables will take my weight ...

Cheers

Jon

1. Field Marshal Von Krakenfart
      Happy

Can I send you my CV?

12. Anonymous Coward
    Mushroom

A public sector workers analisys.

Underpaid, (relative to the private sector, and some staff earn less than some people on benefits) have to take your own time off and pay for your own christmas lunch. It's at times like these that I wish I was back in the private sector where most companies (not all) spring for a private hotel and bar tab for the hard working staff ... and we did work hard ... then and now.

Go ahead, thumb me down. I don't care. Peace on earth, good will to all, etc. Bah humbug.

1. CD001

I'm in the private sector - they shitcanned office xmas parties here some 5 years ago because they were too expensive.

Still, you takes your choice, private sector with (generally) higher pay but worse benefits - public sector with (generally) lower pay and better benefits... though if they fuck off your pensions like they're trying to they'll probably find it harder and harder going forward to actually find good people to hire for public sector jobs - with job security already gone, the reasons for taking a job in the public sector get less and less each year it seems.

13. W3dn3sd4y
    Pirate

Phew!

Glad it's not just me that likes to avoid the usual cliquey antics! Doubtfully says "Go have your little party and then maybe you'll actually get some work done." *ahem*

This topic is closed for new posts.