back to article Google hands Britain’s eTown award to Scunthorpe

Google has awarded Scunthorpe the title of Britain’s eTown, the UK locale that saw the strongest growth in AdWords use over the last year. The town, known for its dwindling iron and steel works, dodgy MP and unfortunately misspelt name, was at the top of 20 towns named in the UK for seeing growth in small businesses using …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Expect the clbuttic mistake

to crop up in a lot of the reporting of this story.

2. Grease Monkey Silver badge

If Typhoo put the T in Britain who put the cunt in Scunthorpe? Apparently Google did.

It's pretty laughable that they would award an "eTown" award which implies some sort of technical excelence to a town purely on the basis of its use of a single Google service.

3. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

Caen is a nice place

And at least it won't get its name censored on Facebook, a fate also suffered by some poor folks near Cork:

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/republic-of-ireland/facebook-versus-the-effin-people-16085481.html

1. Grease Monkey Silver badge

Still not convinced that there is any censorship involved there. Try to put in the village where I live as your location in FB and you get knocked back. Same with a couple of other nearby villages I checked. Nothing to do with profanity, I believe they have a database of locations and if your town isn't in it you're not getting in.

There's a simple check. If this womman is so proud to live in this Irish village maybe she shouldn't be using the English spelling. Does it work if she uses Eifinn, the Irish (gaelic) spelling, if it won't accept that then you can tell it's nothing to to do with profanity.

Oh and BTW the Effin place is nearer to Limerick than Cork and is, indeed, in County Limerick.

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

Correct about the Limerick/Cork, my mistake. The problem with the name isn't that Facebook says "no", but that it says 'no, this is offensive".

Then again, this was reported in the BT, a newspaper whose comment forum software turned Saturday into Sa****ay... Who knows how they'd have coped with a comment about Arsenal :)

4. LarsG

THERE ARE TWO GREAT THINGS ABOUT THE PLACE...

The two main road leading out of there.

5. Peter Holgate
    Unhappy

W T F

I would like to know where these businesses are. Sadly I live and work in "Sunny " Scunny - and I've not seen any improvements in anything.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And let's not forget...

...Scunny & Effin's natural twin, Derwent Water!

7. stanmarsh14
    Coat

Problem

Apparantaly Google has never heard of "The sCUNTthorpe problem" then.

8. William Old
    FAIL

We dream about ANY internet connection, far less 4G mobile coverage...

"none of the 20 areas named were in Scotland"

Of course not... the recently-leaked BT five-year plan for FTTC (fibre to the cabinet) and FTTP (fibre to the premises) showed that there are NO PLANS WHATSOEVER for eithe of these in any IV postcode... nothing.

That's a huge part of Scotland, roughly everything North of a like drawn from the southernmost tip of the Isle of Skye north-east to Banff.

There's little point in using AdWords when an ADSL broadband connection - if you can get one - averages under 1Mbps...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like