back to article Oracle whips out Solaris 11 system lasher

Oracle has duly announced the high availability clustering companion to the new Solaris 11 operating system, and as you might expect from a company that is pitching its own SPARC-based "engineered system" stacks, a whole bunch of third-party software and hardware that was supported with the prior Solaris Cluster 3.3 code has not …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. rchrd

It's SPARC not Sparc

When will you spell it right.

SPARC, not Sparc.

It's trademarked.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It's SPARC not Sparc

Not in our dictionary ...

1. M H
        Stop

what's your dictionary?

http://www.sparc.org/trademarksListing.html

That's a lot of capital Ps, As, Rs and Cs.

2. Allison Park
      FAIL

It's SPANC nor SPARC

At least that is what is happening to it from Intel, IBM and even Oracle.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It is annoying. No one writes IBM Power as IBM POWER (technically correct) either.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

SPARC

You don't HAVE to have SPARC T or SPARC M to run Solaris 11. After all, the x86-64 version runs quite well on most kit!

3. Nick Pettefar

Solaris is a free download, they don't sell it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Meh

Solaris _was_ a free download, before Oracle got its grubby mitts on it. Not anymore [1]

http://www.infoworld.com/d/open-source/license-change-leaves-sun-solaris-users-crossroads-858

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I managed to download it OK this morning after reading this article. I simply searched in Google and got a link to the Oracle download site. Granted I can't use it commercially, purely for personal use but I assumed your argument was the inability to get to a link for ISO download?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

To clear this up for you - if a download is 'free' and you have to pay if you want to continue using it after 90 days then it's not really free.

4. John Riddoch

Hrm...

After an initial "WTF?" moment, I suspect the lack of inclusion of VxVM/VxFS is as much down to the lack of a shipping Veritas product suite for Solaris 11. My suspicion is that the pending Veritas 6.0 suite will include such support, although that's guesswork on my part. Of course, it could be Oracle doing their usual squeeze on everyone else as they try to displace someone, but as ZFS is free I can't really see the advantage to freezing Veritas out of the market.

As for EMC replication, that's hopefully down to the Solutions Enabler software not being available yet.

1. Tom 38
      Stop

ZFS v28 is free. Oracle haven't committed to showing any more code than that.

1. King1Con
        Pint

Free as Beer

Tom> ZFS v28 is free. Oracle haven't committed to showing any more code than that

ZFS is part of Solaris 11, which can be downloaded for free, for non-commercial usage.

ZFS is Free-as-Beer at a fraternity party... I never heard people complaining that they don't know the formulation for Bud when sucking it down at the frat house for free

1. Tom 38
          Headmaster

Pedant much?

Free with conditions is not free. Equating software to beer or the behaviour of people at a frat party is not relevant, besides, everyone knows the formulation for 'Bud', 92% piss, 8% formaldehyde.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Availability Suite

AVS didn't come from the acquisition of StorageTek, it came from a much older acquisition (late 90's IIRC). It was simply rebranded as StorageTek like a number of other storage products.

6. Kebabbert

Trusted Extension

I think that Trusted Extension pack is already built in Solaris 11, and not a stand alone package anymore. Can anyone confirm?

1. Pavel

Solaris 11 base install is a bare minimum. Everything else you install from the repository using IPS. Basically, most packages are "standalone", that means they are not installed in the default installation, but can be added later. The model is very close to popular Linux distributions.

2. Kebabbert

WTF?

Why have no one down voted my question? There are people here that systematically down vote everything I write. I once had a question "Can anyone explain to me why HP must have the permission from Oracle to publish TPC-C benchmarks?" - and also that simple question got lot of down votes.

Those people must have missed this article about Solaris clusters.

7. Tom Maddox Silver badge
    Thumb Up

No more Veritas? NO MORE VERITAS?

Good.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like