back to article Christmas gamma burst stupendo-explosion DEATHMATCH

Dramatic news from the world of astro-boffinry today as two theories go head to head in the quest to explain a cosmic explosion of unparallelled power sighted in the skies last Christmas. This stellar stupendo-explosion was no measly supernova of the sort which may have given rise to the Bible story of the guiding star which …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. nemenator
    Megaphone

Volume Control please

"What unfeasible cosmic violence - could possibly have generated so vast an outpouring of energy". Yes indeed and it's not even Friday.

1. Dodgy Geezer Silver badge
      WTF?

You may not think it's Friday...

...but it is for me.....

2. Mystic Megabyte
    Gimp

Press F1 for MAX results ORGY

What would happen if a space goat and an anti-matter space goat head-butt each other?

1. Chemist

I think you missed ...

"giant mutant" before space goat

2. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

Or then again

maybe the Great Green Arkleseizure had a little hick-up.

Ready a B-Ark, and put all lawyers and bank managers in, but NOT the telephone sanitizers, this time round.

3. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
      Alien

Or then again

May the great green Arkleseizure sneezed just a little bit

Better get a B-ark ready and put all the lawyers, stockbrokers, and bank managers in it this time.

Whatever you do DO NOT put the telephone sanitisers in there

3. Armando 123

Burst source

"What unfeasible cosmic violence - could possibly have generated so vast an outpouring of energy"

An alien race's equivalent to a female was scorned? Just sayin' ...

4. boothamshaw
    Unhappy

that's just terriffic isn't it?

Oh great. I had thought that GRBs were A) far, far away and B) unlikely to happen in the near future. Now this. Merry Christmas. And yes, I know 10 000 lyrs sounds like a long way off, but it still seems too close for my paranoid psyche.

5. Olafthemighty
    Thumb Up

"Stupendity"

Nice one!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

But how long will it take to get into the OED?

6. AlgernonFlowers4
    Mushroom

You calll that a Gamma Ray Stupendo-Explosion DEATHMATCH?

Don't make me angry.

You wouldn't like me when I'm angry......

7. Beau
    Holmes

Let's get this right

Re. "The Bible story of the guiding star which guided the Three Kings in to deliver festive presents to the baby Jesus."

The Three Kings or Wise Men, were in fact most probably Astrologers, and most certainly not Astronomers, as astronomy as such didn't exist till more than a thousand years after the event.

So, no guiding star, just the correct alignment of the planets to predict the birth of a very special royal person in Palestine.

But never mind I like Christmas time, and it's a very nice story!

8. RW
    Childcatcher

Neologistic overload

The author has used up El Reg's lifetime supply of the word "astro-boffin" and its derivatives.

9. Blasmeme
    Flame

Concerned

10,000 light years? Isn't our galaxy only 100,000 light years across? That's practically down the street. Feel the burn.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Megaphone

Neutron Star Collides with a Red Giant and becomes a Black Hole

The most wonderful thing about the universe at large is this: Randomness isn't even.

11. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Clearly the astroboffins

got quite a present last Xmas.

Interesting stuff!

12. Christopher Slater-Walker
    Thumb Up

Stupendity?!

I don't know if it exists as a word, but if it doesn't, then well done for inventing it...I love it.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like