back to article Artists craft the ultimate iPhone fanboi holiday gift

Apparently inspired by the alpenhorn and shofar, an Italian design firm has created the ultimate in glitzy, ritzy sound support for the iPhone: the Megaphone. Just in time for holiday shopping, en&is, founded by Enrico Bosa and Isabella Lovero of Milan, has married the simplicity of passive audio amplification with the shiny- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

For crying out loud.

Much as I don't want to sound like an old man, this is just moronic. I really despair.

1. Jamie Kitson

Wouldn't have been too bad if it sounded ok. I've always liked the idea of efficient horns amplifying cheap, small and good quality speakers. And the price doesn't compare too badly with some iPhone speakers.

2. Nic 3
      Stop

I know rants are part and parcel of El Reg but seriously this is just a bit of fun. Eccentric and largely useless stuff has been bought and sold since we could barter.

Lighten up! You don't want one. I don't want one either but if someone does then good for them!

3. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Just one more thing...

...for folks with more money than brains.

2. Thomas Gray
    Coat

Shofar, so good?

I'll get me coat.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

en&is

How appropriate that the brand name is so close to a description that could be accurately applied to the type of person who would buy this tat

4. Dana W
    FAIL

Worst yet.

This has to be the dumbest iPhone accessory EVER! And that is putting it up against some pretty stiff competition.

1. Andy Hards
      FAIL

At least it is nice to look at

The plastic cover to make your iphone look like a 1980's brick phone is a 1 time visual gag that isn't even funny the first time. THAT is the worst one.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Simply beautiful

I think it's stunning, and the price isn't outrageous compared to some geek toys. Think of it as a piece of art that just happens to work as an amplifier, rather than merely valuing it on its functionality alone.

1. Stacy
      Thumb Up

Couldn't agree more. As a sculpture sitting in the room it's beautiful.

As long as it's not the gold one. That just looks tacky to me...

But the white one is stunning.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

one for those with ZERO taste

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

stunning

you have an orifice behind you that it would fit in just as well and costs nothing

3. lurker

Beautiful?

I think it's hideous, personally. Still, eye of the beholder and all that, I guess.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Don't see a big market for this tho

I'll just poke around the alpine souvenir shop until I find one that holds my Iphone, and save a fortune....

5. Mike Moyle
      Thumb Up

Agreed -- beautiful

It's a lovely sculptural shape (agreed that the gold is tacky).

And as the owner of a batch of old 78 rpm disks and a Victrola for same, I find the irony of reinventing/repurposing 19th century audio tech for use with a 21st century music delivery system quite entertaining. (And, curiously enough, if one were an actual purist, this would allow one to listen to reissues of old ragtime and jazz disks played back as they were originally heard!)

It's certainly not a necessity, and is equally certainly out of my price range, but maybe when I win the lottery...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You have to wonder what sort of idiot would buy one....

http://www.victoriabeckhamgoldiphone.com/

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Form over function has got a lot to answer for.

8. Scorchio!!

Shorely shome mishtake?... ...I've often thought the incoming call signal for an iPhone ought to be bling-bling, bling-bling.

9. Blofeld's Cat
    Paris Hilton

Cornucopia...

Surround it by foliage and fruit. Chuck a couple of lobsters round the base, and it would be ideal for serving grapes at your next bit of a do.

You can use the phone to call the waiter when it needs a refill.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

But only if it holds the iPhone right.

10. pctechxp
    Coat

You could say

The iPhone is now blowing its own horn.

TAXI!

11. Tchou

Makes me want to retire in a remote forest.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I bet Stephen Fry buys one, he's a bit of a en&is

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It does look a bit like a urinal

14. Mondo the Magnificent

Multi function device

Right, I see a few uses here. As an oversized horn type speaker it seems to lack bass, but that shortfall hails from the iPhone's internal speakers

So, if I had sub £400 disposable cash and a big area that needed filling on my study desk or floor, perhaps I'd use one of these to actually allow me to hear the phone ring when I am upstairs.

I reckon it would also make a great urinal, yea a few mods, some plumbing and this horn effort would be right at home in a trendy gents' room.

Lastly, it would be great for college "chug sessions" for those students who want to get a beer or other alcoholic concoction down their throats at breakneck speed. Sure beats the old funnel and hosepipe approach.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Larvely..

Look Chardonnay, it matches me sov's dunnit...

16. LarsG

COOL........

I love it because it is sooooooo there!

Please make on with android adapters as not all of us suck up to Apple.

17. amanfromearth

How does it work then?

I thought the sound came out of the top bit of the iPhone?

18. disgruntled yank

Cornucopia?

It's time to pick this up and run with it. Accessorize with a helmet to which one can attach two of these for the Viking look. Then write an app to synchronize the iThangs, and you're off.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

More Money than Sense!

20. Goat Jam
    Pint

I have acheived the same result

by placing my phone in a beer glass.

And I got to drink the beer first.

21. Entropiated
    Pint

I'll start taking bets...

... about when we'll see the first story about one of these used as a chamber pot.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like