back to article El Reg's life of Steve Jobs - now available on Kindle

The Register has launched its first Kindle book, “The Life and Times of Steven Paul Jobs”, by Rik Myslewski. So, if you can’t think what to get that special person - especially if that special person is you - we can help with a discreet few Kb of computer industry history. As it says right here Rik has followed Apple since …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. deadlockvictim

Playmobil version

And not available in glorious Playmobil drama first?

Really.

What does Lester Haines do there? It can't be work or we'd have more Playmobil presentations.

p.s. We need a 'Playmobil or it never happened' icon, complete with righteous indignation.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Trollface

So...

When's the iBooks launch due...?

3. EddieD

Less than an eggnog latte..

And considerably less appetising...

4. Version 1.0 Silver badge
    Angel

Steve who?

Sounds familiar but I can't place the name ...

5. Eponymous Cowherd
    Thumb Up

And at a reasonable price, too.....

Unlike the "official" more-expensive-than-the-hardback-price-fixed-by-the-publisher bio:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steve-Jobs-Exclusive-Biography-ebook/dp/B005J3IEZQ

Notice its published by Hachette Digital, currently being probed by the EU. Not guilty of price fixing noooooo. Perish the thought.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

So I downloaded it...

... And now my Kindle is screaming at me... "You're holding it wrong."

7. DZ-Jay

Kindle only?

What about iFruit device owners?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You don't know of the Kindle app?

1. Confuciousmobil

Yes, but..

Yes, but I don't know anyone with an iPad that actually uses it when there are so many better alternatives.

2. DZ-Jay

No, I don't. I use iBooks, like many other iPad users.

-dZ.

2. jonathanb Silver badge

There is an app for that (tm)

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/kindle/id302584613?mt=8

8. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Unhappy

I can't think of a book I'd want less than this one, indeed, I think I'd almost be inclined to pay to avoid the possibility of anyone getting it for me.

1. Giles Jones Gold badge

Why not? you don't have to like people to read about them. Perhaps if you did read it you may appreciate that while he had flaws he contributed a lot to the industry. Competition to Windows kept Microsoft on the ball, monopolies often produce incremental improvements. A world without Apple would not have made Microsoft or Linux any better.

It's helpful when commenting about someone if you know about them, just like you can't really be too critical of religions if you haven't read their holy book.

1. Stuart Castle Silver badge

Indeed

It's possible that had Apple not existed then neither would Windows, nor Linux, or any one of a number of alternative GUIs, and we'd be stuck entering commands into a prompt.

While they certainly didn't invent it, Apple did more to bring the GUI out of the lab and into people's lives than any other company.

2. Armando 123

How about "The Erotic Genius of Steve Ballmer"?

3. markoer
      FAIL

Bad post. There is no book - no exception - that is not worth reading. If you consider Apple and Jobs uninteresting, maybe you need it even more.

9. ElReg!comments!Pierre

Ah, no...

... no, we can't. All we can buy at that adress is a coloured-crayon cat.

(not that I would have; I didn't buy the biography of Karol Wojtyla either)

10. Wombling_Free
    Happy

I LOVE their exchange rates!

UK amazon price? GBP 2.99

AUS amazon price? $2.99 !!!! Bloody hell I wish I got that exchange rate every time!

Also, my kindle just turned white and is now playing Angry Birds & REM.

11. Simon Barnes

Contents ?

How many pages do we get for our money ?

12. jake Silver badge

Uh ... I don't remember a "Rik Myslewski" as a member of the Homebrew Computer Club.

But then they say the mind is the first thing to go ...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

How far ...

... do you have to reach back for glory?

1. jake Silver badge

@AC 01:35

How far back? About five hours ... The SundaySunsetSupper[tm][1] that I cooked for the field hands & their girlfriends, the foreman & his wife, my wife & I, and four local vintners & their wives/girlfriends was spectacular!

Would you like the menu and recipes? I might be able to approximate the wine & beer served with each course with whatever is local to you, if you give me your rough location ...

[1] A second Sunday of the month fixture here at the Ranch :-)

13. Paul M 1

Had to chuckle...

... when I noticed the link to buy from Amazon doesn't appear in the app store version of The Reg. I assume that's because Steve's legacy of not allowing such things lives on.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Miserable bugger

They try to do something nice, interesting and you've nothing useful to say.

15. JonP
    Coat

What would Steve do?

Lock it down with DRM and take a 30% cut.

Ah i see what you did there...

16. HipposRule

Rik?

Did his parents forget the c?

17. Edwin
    FAIL

Oh dear...

Kindle only? Oh well, not for me then.

I'm disappointed El Reg. Would an open standard ebook format have been too much to ask for?

18. John Tserkezis

When's the audiobook version being released?

Especially useful for those NOT in the 9-18 year old demographic that are capble of reading and waking, riding or driving at the same time.

1. TheOtherJola
      Gimp

You mean "reading, walking, riding and driving at the same time", Shirley!

How about using the Kindle's magical and revolutionary TTS?

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Rather an iRony that you realease it on Kindle before being an iBook ;)

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Yes, but I don't know anyone with an iPad that actually uses it when there are so many better alternatives."

Such as? The Kindle app for the iPad is very good (as is the iBooks app).

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I guess they wanted to CHARGE for it rather than just give it away for free as a 'standard' eBook and perhaps they wanted the added exposure just being on the Amazon store gives you?

22. Herby

But...

I want a paper back book that I can read on a south seas island under the setting sun in a hammock where no power cord will reach!

23. This post has been deleted by its author

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like