back to article Tax dept staff are HM's biggest e-learners

HMRC staff took more than 615,000 e-learning courses last year... HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) is making more use of e-learning than other departments, according to a report by the National Audit Office. The document says the NAO estimates that HMRC spent £96m in 2010-11 developing the skills of its staff. Most training …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ged T
    Boffin

615,000 staff?

If its assumed that average HMRC employee pay is circa £25K pa, that's a salaries bill ALONE of, at least, £15,375,000,000 pa. Given that these are not the total number of HMRC employees AND the assumed salary figure does not include cost of employment (employer's / payroll tax, pension contribution and other 'on-costs') its an even more staggering figure being expended out of the public purse...

So how come, with the computerisation of HMRC, it still allows that number of people to be employed? Where's the cost-benefit?

And how come, with that number of people, hardly anyone seems to answer the f**king phone?!?!

Could it be that they're, mostly, are "doing training" and shouldn't it be training about tax rules and calculations, rather than the rather nebulous "eTraining"?

1. Velv

615,000 elearning courses, not staff.

But with 67,000 staff, that means each staff member took over ten course each per year (including the non-elearning). TEN COURSES EACH.

I wish my employer gave me that. And a pension.

2. fatchap
      WTF?

how do you get to 615,000 staff? Perhaps you did not look up from your Daily Mail long enough to read the article properly.

Not saying HMRC is anything less that a shower of absolute toss that could not be replaced by a trained team of monkeys but at least get the maths right when ranting.

2. Hayden Clark Silver badge
    FAIL

Ha! Let's decode the weasel words.....

"Although the department is doing much to make sure it has the skills it requires, it needs a more systematic approach, where spending on skills is linked explicitly to the organisation's overall business objectives and a vision of how it should look in the future."

Means, many staff take courses because they get dinged at reviews if they don't, or...

staff take courses that are useful CV material.

Doesn't matter - it's only taxpayers' money, after all.

3. AndrueC Silver badge
    Facepalm

Maybe they are trying to e-learn how not to make mistakes.

'08/09 - They refunded me £80.

'09/10 - They said I'd underpaid by £35

Then I decided to rejoin self-assessment and for '10/11 they have refunded me several hundred quid but left a charge of £35 on the books.

I suppose I shouldn't complain - at least so far it's been in my favour overall :D

4. Exi
    Stop

615,000 staff?

HMRC employs 67,000 FTEs according to Wikipedia.

5. Admiral Grace Hopper

May I introduce you to Google and Wikipedia? They're quite the coming thing I believe.

(67,000, FWIW)

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

suggestions

for courses on offer to HMRC employees next year:

people skills

the British tax system

not losing things and then blaming other people

not being f*cking useless all the the time

errr, that'll do for starters

1. Yet Another Commentard

Also

For senior management "negotiation skills" may be useful

7. Simon Brown 1
    FAIL

The real question is...

How much of that training is actually required as opposed to done for the purposes of the pointless end of year review?

There's loads of e-learning available at the organisation I work for, it's just a shame none of it covers in any depth the areas of the main system my team uses meaning we're having to figure things out as we go along. Despite repeated requests for proper training none has been forthcoming.

8. mamsey
    FAIL

Well attended courses?

"The average number of staff on each course was 851 for e-learning, against 81 for manual based and 104 for face-to-face."

104 people on a face-to-face course? Not really a course, more a lecture, I can't see anyone learning a lot in a class of 104 people...

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

..and how much is printed out?

The HMRC e-learning packages are pretty poor and tailored to the in one ear and out the other approach.

Whenever my colleagues have a new e-learning module then the tendency is to take the text option, print it all out and take it from there with pacesetter meetings full of complaints about poor training

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like