back to article Developers get new IE10 for Windows 8 preview

Microsoft has released a new developer preview of the tenth version of Internet Explorer, which is designed to run on only on Windows 8. The build includes much greater HTML 5 support, including what Microsoft says is the best IE hardware-accelerated graphics yet and faster JavaScript handling, thanks to the browser supporting …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Citizen Kaned

WTF?!?

why do MS keep on locking their browsers to new OS? such a stupid thing to do. and you arent telling me my 4.7 Ghz CPU and win7 64 bit cant handle IE10, are you??!?!

im seriously tempted to start moving my company over to opera or chrome. (i hate firefox now, its so slow!)

its annoying as i think IE 9 is actually a fairly decent browser, just a fair bit slower than chrome.

1. Nick Thompson

I see I was too late. Nice one reg *sigh*. Direct from MS site:

"Internet Explorer 10 Platform Preview Build 4 is not available for Windows 7. The most recent release for Windows 7 was Internet Explorer 10 Platform Preview Build 2, on June 29, 2011. Therefore, you will notice that the newer features mentioned in this guide are not yet available in the most recent version of Internet Explorer 10 Platform Preview for Windows 7. For a list of changes from Internet Explorer Platform Preview Build 2, see Revision History.

When it's released, Internet Explorer 10 will be available for Windows 7, Windows Developer Preview, Windows Server 2008 R2, and Windows Server Developer Preview."

Source: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/hh673549.aspx

1. Citizen Kaned

maybe i should have read more....

i still dont see why ie9 cant run on winXP....

1. alexh2o
          Holmes

I believe they didn't release IE9 for WinXP because it uses hardware acceleration, and to do this they used their Media Foundation found only in Win Vista and above.

Downsides are XP doesn't get support, but it is a 10+ year old OS with support ending soon.

Benefits are best in class hardware acceleration, as its not tied to legacy. (Whether this just compensates against an inferior rendering engine or makes IE the best browser, is a battle for the fanboys. But most will agree IE's hardware acceleration is pretty impressive!)

2. Nick Thompson

"Microsoft has released a new developer preview of the tenth version of Internet Explorer, which is designed to run on only on Windows 8"

This is a bit misleading, I read that to say that IE10 will only run on Windows 8 whereas it's actually just this preview version which is Win8 only. The final version of IE10 will run on Win 7 according to various sites on the web. You may wish to clarify before you get people being shouty.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Too late...

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge
      FAIL

Still shit

IE 10 preview was useful when you could install it on a running system. Having to install a whole VM *just* to play with the browser is such a hurdle that I think that many like me just won't bother. And, lo, IE is becoming increasingly irrelevant: there's already so many things that not even IE 9 does well that people are moving to other browsers and from where they are unlikely to move back. Lots of corporate are Windows 7 + IE 8 + A.N.Other browser. Stats from a large site I know of are: IE 9 is about 10 % worldwide but has hardly grown since the spring; IE 8 is still king of the heap at around 25 % worldwide but down around 10 % since the spring, most of whom seem to have gone to Chrome.

Initially MS indicated a release of IE 10 in the autumn of this year but since they decided to roll it into Windows 8 the fail whale has definitely arrived. The hardware acceleration in IE 10 is impressive only until you realise it is currently of very little relevance outside demo-space: sites are not going to go back to "works best in IE", because it would seriously fuck off influential tablet strokers, so hardware accelerated games (and ads) will have to wait for broad browser support. By the time IE 10 is released, no doubt with the stupid rider "works best with Windows 8" - why else would they be tying the development of the two together? - it will be available and good enough for Opera, Firefox and Chrome and maybe even Safari (I think it already is for the I-toys).

In the meantime, and independent of their version numbering schemes, Opera, Firefox and Chrome continue to trailblaze with interesting new extensions for HTML, CSS (paged media, yay!) and JS and are available in the real world for developers to work with. This is the only way to make sure that future standards are any use. Pity that MS still hasn't understood this.

3. Dave Murray

I encourage all developers to write for standards first by ignoring HTML5 because it isn't a standard yet! I wish browser makers would spend more time working on real features like security and speed and less working on vapourware like the unfinished HTML5 spec.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Question

Will it crash all the time and need updates once per week?

1. Phoenix50
      Stop

No - that's Firefox.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I didn't see 'Chrome' or 'Firefox' anywhere in the product name...

Downvote away fanbois...

3. scientific_linux_01
      Linux

Run Firefox on Linux distro's

I have never had any problems with Firefox, Internet Explorer cannot interpret web-pages correctly period.

It does not conform to the W3C standards, try the ACID3 test on IE and it fails miserable.

Anyone who has designed web-sites, or maintains web-servers know Internet Explorer ALWAYS has some sort of rendering problem.

A website will work on Firefox, Chrome, Safari, KDE Konqueror, old variants of Gnome browsers and Internet Explorer will FAIL.

Ask any developer they always have to make exceptions for Internet Explorer because MS does not want to follow the rules, nor do they have to.

But like all kingdoms they eventually fail.

5. Arctic fox
    Windows

I see that others have made the point.

I would in fact have been fairly bloody amazed if MS had not intended that IE10 should run on both Win 7 and Win 8. Win 7 is going to be their most installed os for some time to come contra Win 8 and it would surely be their aim that the take-up of IE 10 should be as broad as possible (consistent with their other priorities).

6. DJV Silver badge
    FAIL

HTML 5 Test

Interesting to see that the version of IE10 that comes with the Windows 8 Developer preview currently scores 300 points (+ 6 bonus) on www.html5test.com.

The IE10 preview, however, is a vast improvement - it scores a massive, erm, um, 299 (+6)!

So, another step back for MS - actually, the missing 1 is because the preview doesn't provide any custom search providers (no address/search bar in the preview). Still, I was expecting rather more than this... the current stable Chrome is already up to 343 (+13 bonus) points. Of the non-IE browsers, only Opera with 286 + 7 is currently trailing IE10 (IE9 currently scores 141 + 5).

1. Phoenix50
      WTF?

Ah I see what you did there - compared a pre-release version of IE with stable / full releases of other browsers.

Monsieur Ambassador, you are really spoiling us with this analysis.

7. scientific_linux_01
    Linux

Browser lock-in

I do remember how sites would say requires Internet Explorer, the majority of this non-sense has been washed away.

Why does Internet Explorer get exempted from conforming to web standards?

8. scientific_linux_01
    Linux

No one uses IE

Firefox/Chrome have the majority of market share.

A lot of companies have migrated away from welded in Windows platforms to open source solutions.

They can have IE version 1,000,000 it will still be NON-COMPLIANT and still require custom code to be created for it to display the majority of websites.

Another fact is, it is an open pathway for exploits, malware, spyware, trojans, viruses this is a GREAT feature set of Microsoft Windows.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like