back to article Thanksgiving menaced by virus-laden fake iTunes vouchers

Supposed iTunes gift certificates doing the rounds in the run-up to Thanksgiving are actually loaded with malware. Spoofed emails purportedly offering $50 vouchers for the iTunes Store, which arrive with email subject lines such as "iTunes Gift Certificate", come with an attachment supposedly containing a certificate code. In …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. eulampios

So according to the linked info "Sophos detects the malware as Mal/BredoZp-B. Looked this up from http://www.gotapal.com/Mal-Bredozp-b-Malware-Remova:l

"Mal/BredoZp-B is a nasty piece of malware that will realy frustrate you. Mal/BredoZp-B is able to open up a backdoor in your computer which a malicious attacker may gain access through. This malware may also be able to capture all your personal information and your passwords with malicious intent."

I am wondering how does the infection take place? By just OPENING of the body/attachment of the said hoax email message? If true, what is a piece of crap this email client and operating system must be to let such things happen? Doesn't Microsoft Windows Operating qualify as a Malware OS itself?

To the ardent windie-fanboys: where does exactly your/MS' celebrated ACL come into play here?

1. kb
      Facepalm

PEBKAC

If you run ANY OS as admin and run attachments from anybody? Well enjoy your malware. Since switching my customers over to Windows 7 I haven't seen a bit of malware, zip zero none. In fact since Vista there was only one bonehead customer who after I told him flat footed "There is NO Limewire anymore, that was shut down 2 years ago, anything that says its Limewire is malware!" promptly went home, downloaded "the new limewire" and when the AV did its job and put a screeching halt to the install he UNINSTALLED THE AV because it "wouldn't let me install my program" and then had the nerve to want me to fix it for free since "it got infected in a single day" Well duh, that's because you're an idiot!

If you want to know why Windows has the most bugs, see my customer above. if they want something they WILL install it, they'll ignore or even uninstall the AV if that is what it takes. i wonder how many geniuses uninstalled their AV because it wouldn't let them get at "my free iTunes gift card!" that they wanted?

3. MrMister
    FAIL

@eulampos

Why do you think this malware might be triggered just by opening the body of the message ? The article clearly says the payload it attached as an archive.

I appreciate that you are an obvious anti-MS troll, but the last MS email client that would execute script in a preview window was probably outlook express 5.

1. eulampios
      WTF?

@ the respected Microsoft trolls

>>Why do you think this malware might be triggered just by opening the body of the message ?

That was my guess, as I said there, and what is the vector according to you? You have any info and links, any other reason to write a whole article about it? So why is so much ado about email threats? What's the deal? Maybe as a pro-MS troll, you are more familiar with that? Just do not tell me that viruses are not vexing users with MS products any more. I just helped a friend to get rid a scareware she or her daughter picked up by visiting a a website. As a comparison, an old (maybe outdated) version of Ubuntu I helped install ( win XP broke irreversibly and wouldn't fix) has been running flawlessly for 3 years without any malware.

4. MrMister

@eulampos

Why do you think this malware might be triggered just by opening the body of the message ? The article clearly says the payload it attached as an archive.

I appreciate that you are an obvious anti-MS troll, but the last MS email client that would execute script in a preview window was probably outlook express 5.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like