back to article Google to reinvent UK newspaper biz

Google is bringing its new-age advertising know-how to the UK newspaper business. According to The Times, the world's largest search engine is chatting up "several" British newspaper publishers in the hopes of extending its Google Print Ads program across the Atlantic. When we asked Google if this is true, the company told us …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Adam Williamson
    Thumb Down

It's not The Times of London

It's just The Times. There is one Times, and it's the one printed in London. Anything else is the (something) Times.

Honestly, I can just about stomach U.S. sites writing about 'The London Times', but The Reg is - yes, even though it has a U.S. branch and some U.S. writers - a *British* site. It is The Times. Please refer to it as such.

2. Adam
    Flame

"The Times of London"

No, it's just "The Times".

3. eddiewrenn

The Times of London

Haha...*Douche chill*

4. yeah, right.
    Thumb Down

shocking.

I take it that the Reg doesn't actually have any British staff left, and thus must resort to having Americans without a clue write stories about the UK?

When is the Reg converting to a blogging site? You're halfway there already.

5. Cade Metz (Written by Reg staff)

The People Have Spoken

"The Times" it is,

Cade

6. GrahamT
    Thumb Down

At least...

... it wasn't the "Times of London England".

7. KenBW2
    Flame

I'm with Graham

London:

To Londoners/Southerners is the Centre of the Universe

To Americans is a country in its own right

8. Ryan Bass
    Thumb Up

Steady now

In all fairness, I imagine Cade is learning about England every day.

For example, today he learned that we never shut the hell up moaning. :)

9. Stuart Butterworth
    Alert

RE:KenBW2

"London:

To Londoners/Southerners is the Centre of the Universe

To Americans is a country in its own right"

And to us Northerners, it's the sh*t-hole of the universe, a mill-stone round our necks, and an occupying country.

Long live the Mancunian Republic!!

10. supermeerkat
    Happy

Engurlund swings like a pendulum do...

...Bobbies on bicycles, two by two Westminster Abbey, the tower of Big Ben The rosy red cheeks of the little children...

'Tis a loverly song. <Wipes away a tear>

11. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Re: Stuart Butterworth

"Long live the Mancunian Republic!!"

Pah! Bunch of southern nancies!

Forward with the glorious Democratic People's Republic of (North) Yorkshire :-)

/gets coat and waits for the Scots to chime in ...

12. John-James Worrall
    Coat

Re: Simon Ward

"Long live the Mancunian Republic!!"

Pah! Bunch of southern nancies!

Forward with the glorious Democratic People's Republic of (North) Yorkshire :-)

/gets coat and waits for the Scots to chime in ...

While we in Cheshire sit and watch the mayhem, while enjoying the countryside and the Footballers money.

Never actually took coat off.

13. Craig McGill

More than one edition of The Times

@Adam Williamson:

Actually, there is more than one edition of The Times printed in the UK, there's a Scottish edition (printed just outside Glasgow) and there may well be an Irish edition as well. I'm not certain if there's a north of England edition as well.

But there's more than one The Times.

14. Keith T
    Paris Hilton

Yet another reason . . .

. . . to have Ad Block installed.

Or will I be missing out on a retail experience opportunity?

15. Rob

@ KenBW2

You're not wrong - I've had people in the US (having asked where I'm from) say "England? Is that in London?"

16. Colin Millar
    Coat

@Yorkshire

Ah - Yorkshire - where men are men

(and Sheep have that worried look)

I'll get me kilt

17. kevin russell
    Coat

New York, New York

I once had a New York, New York Taxi driver ask me where I was from - when I told him "England" he replied

..."That's near Scotland isn't it?"

I stopped short of telling him that we own Scotland and use it as a historical playground for our worthy Monarchy.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

It's "the Murdoch Times", or one of them

and the comparison of Googal's ad revenue (presumably worldwide, thou the article didn't bother to say so) with that of struggling UK-local hardcopy outfit Trinity Mirror is a bit daft too.

Not one of the Reg's brightest articles this year.

19. TheHempKnight

@Rob

At work I once had an American ask if Nottingham (where I am based) is in North or South London?

Not the average American though me thinks, just the ones I happen to encounter in my line of work.

20. Nathanael Bastone
    Go

Introducing the new version of AdBlock for the printed word

Otherwise known as "Tipp-ex". Or for those who favour the more drastic approach, AdBlockPlus - "Scissors."

As for an online Google Ads monopoly, I say yes! It will only make them easier to block.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

I've had a thought.

So I actually work for one of these papers, worryingly enough in the Ads department. I'm wondering now, would these ads come straight off the interweb pre-formatted to fit into predefined spaces in the papers?

Because if it does, that's a fair few people out of work. And the work's not exactly pouring in at the best of times.

22. Dan
    Flame

@Rob

You're not wrong - I've had people in the US (having asked where I'm from) say "England? Is that in London?"

Ah yes the average cloistered American. Not to bright. No idea where anything is outside of the US, and all think they are speaking another language other than English.

No seriously......... I've had a face to face argument with an American girl in a pub in London where she insisted she didn't speak English, but American. (Sorry dear, no such language. A sub-dialect perhaps but not a language in its own right.) Or better yet, another American girl, (what is it with American girls and language ??) on the Intarweb who insisted that she spoke American and that it was a completely different language to English, AND.......if we were to meet in person we wouldn't be able to understand one another. In the end a dozen other posters, (Americans, Canadians, Brits, an Aussie, two Argentinians, and a Dutch guy,) all told her to shut up talking such rubbish and that she was speaking, reading, and writing English.

Thankfully most of those Americans stay in America, and they aren't all like that. I've always classified Americans in to two groups.

American Americans - Runs around with a shotgun shagging his sister and driving a pickup truck, shouting "YEE HAA USA IS NUMBER 1" and has no idea where anything is or what anything is outside of the USA.

European Americans - Intelligent, know they are speaking English. Understand that yes there are other countries and places and people outside of the US. Are not blithering idiots that you want to kill. Generally have travelled outside of the US. You wouldn't be ashamed to take them down the pub !! :)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like