back to article Groupon BUSTED for bulging breasts bargain boob

A Groupon advert for cut-price breast enlargement must not appear again, The Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) ruled today. The 24-hour deadline on the deal, which offered a discount of £3,000 on breast and nose jobs, may have rushed deal-seekers into breast enlargement they had not properly considered, said the ASA. In a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Pat 11

That clinic

They currently have a Special Offer boob job deal for £2750, 0% finance...I wonder if they've thought of doing a BOGOF on the airbags?

2. Tegne
    Paris Hilton

Pfft

There goes my.. err I mean the wife's Christmas present.

3. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Is it just me

that finds the acronym BAAPS funny in this context ?

4. Francis Boyle Silver badge

BAAPS

Who the hell's writing the universe these days?

5. adrianww
    Happy

Never let it be said...

...that medical types don't have a sense of humour. Whoever came up with the name for that association (and corresponding abbreviation) deserves some kind of award. Only a little award probably, but an award nevertheless (they can always make it look a bit bigger with implants later).

6. Chris 47

Acronym

Their acronym is really BAAPS?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fish, barrel, shotgun..

Oh please BAAPS? Really?

8. BorkedAgain
    Happy

BAAPS?

C'mon, that's got to be a joke.

Oh no, it isn't... Priceless...

9. TRT Silver badge

What was that name again?

Grope-on?

10. alwarming
    Paris Hilton

Groupon Gets Grief for Giving Juggs Growth Goodies.

Paris, time for her to get some.

11. Magnus_Pym
    Stop

No no no no NO!

If there are two concepts that should never be allowed to come together. it's 'cut price' and 'surgery'

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yes, BAAPS

We deal with their consultants on a daily basis ;-)

13. Version 1.0 Silver badge

There's a line somewhere

So the argument is that the purchaser of surgical services should not feel rushed I guess? So where do they draw the line ... I'm guessing a similar offer for penis enlargement would fail the test ... but what about wart removal, or tattoo removal? Would a Groupon offer for IVF services fail the test?

What happens in the ER? Surely that's putting the patient under much greater pressure ... does the surgeon attempt to save the leg or amputate? Or ask the patient to think it over for a week?

14. Graham Marsden

@Version 1.0

There is a difference between elective surgery and that which is medially necessary. The former can be thought about, considered and then the patient can make a decision as to whether to go ahead with it or not, in the latter case a decision may have to be made quickly (either by the patient or an appropriate medical professional) to save someone's life.

Groupon shouldn't even be anywhere near either of these.

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Darn it ... where's those sarcasm tags when you really need them?

15. DV Henkel-Wallace
    Facepalm

Oh, the disappointment

Extra points for BAAPS but really, no mention of Bulgarian airbags?

16. Kilgaard

And I hope the "responsible" clinic got their accreditation pulled for this "unethical behaviour"?

What, no?

So Groupon get told to stop running the ad, which they presumably did within 24 hours anyway, but the clinic which paid for this, and presumably has a room full of people to advise them on ethical behaviour, still gets to go ahead and operate on the "patients"?

17. Dr Patrick J R Harkin

I see your BAAPS and raise you...

...the Sexually Transmitted Infection Foundation (STIF) course - see http://www.bashh.org/education_training_and_careers/stif It's run by the Bristish Accociation of Sexual Health and HIV (BASHH). I don't know if any of the members are bishops.

This topic is closed for new posts.