back to article iPhone 4S is for failures who work in coffee shops - Samsung

Not content with the trans-continental patent lawsuits, Samsung have struck another blow at Apple. This time somewhere it might hurt - its branding. A new TV ad for the Samsung Galaxy SII showing from today in the States sticks it directly to the iPhone, by suggesting that the Jesus mobe is an over-hyped pricey status toy for …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'll be upgrading my iPhone 4 soon. I'm not sure insulting me is the best way to encourage me to switch to Samsung...

1. Craigness

@AC

Is that an admission that you're the sort of lackadaisical hipster who queues for a phone "event"? Because that's who they're insulting.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Gimp

The only ones that will be insulted by this are the fanbois. So...

= You.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Strike Vomit

With your constant sniping, how are youy anything less than a fanboi of your own particular consumerist deity?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Headmaster

Er, I am an ANTI-FANBOI

I just can't help it. I hate smug wankers and their distortions of reality.

1. Simon Neill
            FAIL

You know,

The "Anti apple" crowd are JUST as annoying and smug as the "pro apple" crowd to those of us that just want a phone and don't really give a crap what picture is on the back of it.

2. Prag Fest
        Go

@Craigness + Stike Vomit

You two have become quite the double act around here of late.

I can't help but picture Bert and Ernie clutching Android handsets.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Happy

@ Prag Fest

That even made me laugh.

3. Flashy Red

As lovely as the Samsung is, I can't get along with Android and I'll be upgrading my HTC mobe in April... to an iPhone 4 (not the 4S).

I'm so terribly, terribly bad.

4. Tchou
      Joke

Isn't a Jesus phone supposed to come with a message of love and forgiveness for every customer?

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"...I'll be upgrading my iPhone 4 soon"

"Hello Day Old News?"

"Yeah cancel his subscription!"

"He'll be giving his business to Behind the Times"

6. Field Marshal Von Krakenfart
      Coat

Clam down, Calm down

http://files.coloribus.com/files/adsarchive/part_96/963905/file/reebok-clothing-calm-down-small-62207.jpg

Jeeezzz would you lot ever calm down, this is advertising, not reality. You can easily see that the whole scene is a cleverly contrived piece of advertising make-believe bordering on viral advertising.

The other give away that it is a cleverly staged production is that although it looks like the fanbois have been queuing for hours, their phones haven’t run out of battery…

Mines the one with the very long charging cable in the pocket.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What, no nexus?

It's a good advert but why are they talking about the S2? Have they already dumped the Nexus?

It must be pretty tough too because the guy at the end puts it in his back pocket then gets in the cab and presumably sits on it

1. Geoff Campbell Silver badge
      Stop

That's not what the Nexus is about

As with previous Google phones, the Nexus exists to be a reference build for the latest release of Android, not to be the latest greatest smartphone. A lot of the specs are deliberately quite mundane because of this.

GJC

1. goldcd

Not entirely true

Previous Nexus phones were cuttting edge examples.

Nexus - fast CPU and OLED screen

Nexus S - NFC

Nexus Prime... erm you're right. I was hanging on for it, managed to break my original Nexus and got an S2. Was quite relieved when the specs of the Prime came out - it's got a 720 pentile screen, but that's the only thing that was actually better.

Seemingly the S3 is coming out early next year with a non-pentile 720 screen - so I'm guessing Samsung wish to keep the top models in their range as 'theirs alone'

1. Geoff Campbell Silver badge
          Boffin

Makes sense.

I've now got ICS running on my spare Galaxy S, by the way. It looks rather nice.

http://code.google.com/p/ice-cream-sandwich-sgs/w/list

GJC

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Dodgy battery life of the iPhone 4

It might well be dodgy I don't know and frankly don't care but I don't think Samsung are in a position to take the high ground on battery life.

1. Gordon 10

And they never have been.

Atleast 2 Sammy's I've owned came with a thin but crap battery and a fugly but good fat battery.

2. Neil 8

When the S2 battery runs flat...

I stick another one in. It doesn't take a (certified Apple) Genius.

3. Nick Wright

True.

Android battery life in isn't great in general, but you can always buy a secondary battery from China for less than a fiver and those problems go away. The iPhone still doesn't give you that option.

1. Naughtyhorse

two true

plus there's a fair bit of config stuff you have control over to extend battery life.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: True I and II

Yes you can buy replacement batteries but I'm rather old fashioned and expect things to work reasonably well straight out of the box.

Likewise you can turn features off to extend battery life but isn't the whole point of these smart phones to be able to use those features.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Battery usage is down to your settings and usage.

I've tweaked my settings and can get nearly 48 hours usage from my Desire S!

If your whinging about battery life, sort it out!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I'm using...

..a fair chunk of my S2. Wi-fi on all the time to sync pop3 and exchange e-mail accounts, record a bit of video footage to sling up on YouTube, play a little Angry Birds now and then, check up on the news, and my battery lasts two days on average.

The best thing (don't know if Apple does this) is that in bad areas, the S2 latches on to the wi-fi and uses that to make and receive calls - via Orange.

I'm happy. ... and you can downvote me for that all you want. 'cause I don't care.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Facepalm

Two days is crap, iPhone, Samsung or anything else.

So some people get as much as two days use out of their phone and then complain that an iPhone has poor battery life. They all seem pretty much so slose that they are virtually indistinguishable.

I stand by my original comment, Samsung can't take the high ground on battery life.

4. ThatGuy
      Go

Got a Galaxy S2, longest time between charges? 5 days.

4. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Happy

Grabbing a BIG box of popcorn

...and waiting for the show...

1. ratfox
      Go

Beat me to it

I hope to see more ads like this one — in both directions!

1. alwarming
        Angel

@ratfox

I think @nonesuch meant the fanboi wars on this forum, me thinks.. and beat me to it!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Nice try Samsung

Now try and make a phone people will queue for.

5. LarsG

WHEN WILL ALL........

this childish behavior end?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

So long as there are nerds in the world this sort of shit will continue ad infinitum.

1. chr0m4t1c

Yep

Spectrum vs C64, Amiga vs ST, Sega vs Nintendo, PC vs Mac, Xbox vs PS1/PS2, Xbox360 vs PS3, etc.

If you can only define yourself by talking down people who have made different choices then you are the one with the problem.

Personally, when I find ad campaigns like this that spend as much time insulting or talking down the competition I immediately wonder what serious product flaws they are trying to hide and I tend to shop elsewhere.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Confessions of a former Android user

I have an iPhone. Yeah, I've come out as an Apple user. I really tried with an Android phone. I really did. I even got a new shiny HTC Sensation.

Seriously, it is a POS as a frigging phone. Guess what, that is what I use it for!

The 'touch' is so sensitive that many times when I have hung up a call, it has redialled the party before I can stop it.

A total failure.

Yeah, all the other stuff works pretty well but as a phone it is a failure.

I sold it on Ebay last week and bought an iPhone 4s. A very different experience.

I am most certainly not a Coffee Shop worker. I run my own business and employ more than 20 people.

1. Jedit Silver badge
      FAIL

Fail of the Year 2011 - entries now open

You're posting as an anonymous coward. How the fuck can you say you've *come out* as an Apple user when you're not even using your online identity?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

A coffee shop manager by any chance?

1. Naughtyhorse
        Joke

hehehe

no man he's a creative

3. Graham Dawson Silver badge

Come out? You're anonymous! How is that coming out about anything?

4. Steve Evans

Ummmm...

Ticking that "post anonymously" is not coming out, that's still hiding!

5. 42
      Coat

Sigh

Me too, I tried quite a few and much to my disgust ended up with the new 4S, it was simply much better to use. My PFy posted TRAITOR!!!!! when I announced my sin. ):

6. GitMeMyShootinIrons

Jeez, 'droid fans...

Bitching about whether this guy has signed in as AC or not isn't really the point. He tried Android, didn't like it and went for Apple.

His choice. Grow up and live with it, instead of sniping at the irrelevant. Droid fans insist on how wonderful an open platform is, harping on about choice and yet they can't handle someone going elsewhere.

It's like Linux vs Windows, Xbox vs. PS3, degenerating into childish rants, with little reason.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Jeez

Whether he's AC is exactly the point when he says he's "come out" as something. And that is the point people were making. Why think they're android fans? Why think they can't handle someone choosing a different phone? There's no evidence for either so will you grow up and live with that?

I've got an HTC and have the same problem with the redial. The issue is that the End Call button becomes the Start Call button when the other person hangs up. But it's not difficult to press the thing twice before the new call is connected. It's hardly with a downgrade.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@GitMeMyShootinIrons

This wasn't a bitch about what he's done. If anything it was a challenge to his use of English.

"Coming out" is publicly confessing to something. i.e. going public about something which you have kept hidden in the past, e.g. being gay, owning an iphone, being a Chelsea supporter, all the usual things which could could cause you major embarrassment should your friends and family find out. Okay, maybe not the first one, that's pretty acceptable these days.

Using the anonymous button is still hiding... He's still in that closet with the door firmly closed, posting away via his wireless connection I assume.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

What?

Poor bugger. It was clearly an ironic (even creative, now he drives a real smart-phone) comment.

Your Android response is typical of the whole nature of android partisans, with their playschool talk of "the dark side", "would never, ever buy, use, be in the same room as ... and iphone". "Yes, my battery lasts just five minutes, but I am pleased to carry 20 more and a charger - what a feature...". "it's got this inane bug where it hangs up - rings back -goes silent - laughs at me . but I just stand on my head and play the national anthem on the four still working keys and all is lovely again - no big deal".

I personally went off the whole idea of buying smart Nokia, Windows, Android or Apple when I realised the pitiful mindset and religious belief associated with the things. Anyway, I've got a life, except when reading the drivel on this site.

7. Field Marshal Von Krakenfart
      Paris Hilton

@AC 20:23

I thought all iPhoney users were sensitive and touchy, oh sorry you mean the phone.

OK, joke out of the way, AC 20:23, has a point, it is annoying to take your $BRAND fondle phone out of your breast pocket to find that your left nipple has being trying to set up a VPN, however it is easily remedied by locking the phone before putting it away.

Paris, ‘cos I said left nipple.

7. Bad Beaver
    FAIL

Could have been better.

The barista line is outstanding. The rest falls short. Too blatant, not really persuasive. Want to see a nice ad? Check out this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=MaOnVago88g

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Man, that N9 ad is lame as fuck.

Nicely produced though.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

LOL!

An add for a phone which features all of 5 seconds of the phone in over two minutes, and tells you nothing apart from it's not what anyone else is buying!

Bit too art-house for me.

3. Andrew Moore
      FAIL

He's not a barista, he's someone who just makes coffee. It's rather like calling the person who brings you your wine a 'sommelier'

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Andrew Moore

A what? I had to google that!

And there's already a well established England name for someone who makes coffee in starbucks. Arts graduate.

1. TheOtherHobbbes

Dude

Arts grads made that ad.

And you can bet they got paid more than the average code monkey does.

8. Piro Silver badge
    Pint

I thought it was pretty catchy

I got a good smile out of it. No doubt some people will be made a little uncomfortable by it.

Anyway, who wanders around with their expensive smartphone in their hand while they wait for a taxi? I'd afraid somebody would nick it!

1. OrsonX
      Angel

who wanders around with their expensive smartphone in their hand

Sweeds... in particular those in Stockholm. They hold it out in front of them as they walk'n'talk.

"what is this thing you call crime?"

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So, it's really big and baristas are twats

These are things I already knew.

10. miknik
    Trollface

It was funny but unrealistic

Fanbois don't register the fact that you may not have an iPhone, they assume everyone has one.

11. Craigness

But it looks the same

so how can anyone tell it's a Samsung?

1. I Like Heckling Silver badge
      FAIL

"But it looks the same

so how can anyone tell it's a Samsung?"

Because it has the word 'SAMSUNG' written on the bloody thing... or are Apple fanbois so 'creative' they can't friggin read and can only understand fruity shaped symbols.

12. Earl Jones Of Potatoes
    Childcatcher

lame campagn

Thanks samsung! enjoy your new low.

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

New Low?

You mean that they elready outsold the iPhone 4s in Europe by making a better phone with less lock-in?

Sure is low...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@ Earl Jones of Costa

I'll have a double latte, no sugar. And a blueberry muffin. Thanks.

3. tonysmith

What? You mean like the Mac Vs PC ad campaign?

13. James O'Brien
    Thumb Up

HAHAHAHA....HAHAHAHAHAHA

Ok This could get interesting with the ad wars seeing as it was Apple, unless im mistaken, who started stuff like this with their "I'm a Mac and I'm a PC" ads......Course I cant wait to see what Apple may put out in response to this.

Maybe patenting the I'm a barista comment or Siri....well thats about all thats on the list....

14. Francis Boyle Silver badge

"Dude, you're a barista"

Deserves to enter the language.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not my language, I had to google it! I thought he was some kind of mispronounced lawyer!

1. Tel Starr
        Joke

Barista - Barrister

Same thing really - Both makes Coffee all day and charge ridiculous amounts.

2. TeeCee Gold badge

Just think of it as someone who dreams of the day when they have risen far enough along their chosen career path to utter the hallowed words: "Would you like fries with that?".

2. Markl2011
      Happy

I bet a few Samsung employees will be getting a bit of extra cream in their coffee over that one

15. Beelzebub's Granny
    Mushroom

Pish

If the only thing Samsung have got in their marketing arsenal is to parody Apple, they're short of a few ideas.

Apple should release a parody of Samsung's advert showing no one queuing up to buy the Samsung S2, or whatever it is.

Yes, the shiny new S2 has 4G. Where can I use that?

It has a bigger screen? Brilliant! What's the resolution? Would it be classed as a 'retina' display, or will I still be able to see all the pixels in those God-awful battery/signal icons at the top of the Android UI? Ah, 800x480. Crap.

What else does it have? A promise that the latest and greatest versions of Android will run on it and be released the moment Google releases it? Thought not.

Do I need to upgrade my phone every few months to make use of a new bit of technology? Do I need to get a Samsung now because it does 4G, then get an HTC in six months' time when that one has 4G and NFC? How about a year from now, should I get a Google phone because it has 4G, NFC, a diamond pattern on the back, and makes a decent cup of tea?

In conclusion, piffle.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Awww - don't be a grump.

The iphone is a beautifully designed 'thing' and pretty much single handedly made people expect more from their phone. I quite distinctly remember the wilderness years as I waved around stuff like my SE P800 et al around, to the complete non-interest of 99% of people.

Then the iphone arrived and people 'got it' - and whilst I might have muttered away in the background about the late-comers - I could see why.

Same stuff is happening again, I can wave around my rooted, cyanogen-nightly-running S2 - and proclaim how great it is, but currently most people are perfectly happy with what they've got (and that would mainly be an iphone). The odd antenna/battery issue a small minority have aside, they're 'happy'.

Advert raised a smile from me, mainly as the pitch came across as "Think Different" - which rang a bell somewhere (OK, S2 users didn't quite throw a hammer through an iphone, but the point seemed to be to at least question the herd).

Incidentally, I believe Samsung outsold apple in Q3 - but I might come across a bit fanboi if I brought that up.

2. Craigness
      FAIL

Marketing: what Apple does best

The answers to your screen and pixel questions are "Of course not" and "No". It won't be classed as a retina display because that's an Apple marketing term, not a classification of screen quality. Do you think that if a phone doesn't have Facetime you can't make video calls with it? Why don't Omega watches qualify as "Superlative Chronometers"?

Does an iphone get the latest ios upgrade the moment Google releases a new version of android? No? That's just as relevant: Apple owners get an upgrade only when the manufacturer releases it, and so do Samsung owners.

You don't need to upgrade your phone when each bit of new technology comes along, but if you're standing in a queue waiting for a shop to open so that you can buy a new phone, then it's reasonable to expect you're in the market for a new phone. If you're in the market, why not get the best phone and latest technology? That's what the advert is suggesting.

This is not all that Samsung have in their marketing, it's just one advert. And it's not parody because it does not involve imitation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parody

In conclusion, ignorant waffle.

1. chr0m4t1c

>You don't need to upgrade your phone when each bit of new technology comes along, but if you're >standing in a queue waiting for a shop to open so that you can buy a new phone, then it's >reasonable to expect you're in the market for a new phone. If you're in the market, why not get the >best phone and latest technology? That's what the advert is suggesting.

Maybe, but I'd say that the marketing people don't understand *why* those people are queueing. Clue: It's not because it's the latest phone technology (but it probably is an equally shallow reason).

3. blade-runner

You madam are a fanboy of the highest order. Well done.

16. Hud Dunlap
    FAIL

As a person who...

I work on the equipment that makes the chips for all these phones. A barista I am not. I use my iPhone all of the time at work. Videos, pictures, looking up parts etc....

We have a lone Samsung user. I can't wait to show him the video.

17. This post has been deleted by its author

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's like Skoda ripping off the design of a BMW 3 series - sticking a bigger engine in it and saying it's better and available now - it's still a Skangsungda.

1. Darryl
      Trollface

Wow, it took almost 3 hours for someone to say their Apple product is like a BMW and everybody else's products are like a Skoda, Chevy, etc.

You guys are slipping

2. TeeCee Gold badge
      Mushroom

Excellent analogy. As Skoda make very good cars these days[1], it illustrates how some people are daft enough to wait to pay extra for a similar car with a better badge on it.

In fact, I think I shall use the word "Barista" as a term for a BMW driver from now on.

[1] And their dealer service knocks BMWs sideways, both on servicing costs and that most of 'em actually appear to give a fuck about their customers.

1. Wilseus
        FAIL

By "better badge", you mean a brand like Audi, which is the same make as Skoda?

The day Skoda (or VW or Audi for that matter) start making well-sorted rear wheel drive cars is the day I'll seriously consider buying one!

I'd have to agree with you about the dealers though!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@ Wilseus

"The day Skoda (or VW or Audi for that matter) start making well-sorted rear wheel drive cars is the day I'll seriously consider buying one"

You better be driving at least a 3-series BMW with a 6 cylinder engine. Cos if you're not you 'aint driving a 'proper' BMW, and frankly you'd be better off with a Skoda.

1. Wilseus

@Stike Vomit

Good job I am then ;)

3. Piro Silver badge

Oh, I get your point

People who drive BMWs are cocks, so you're saying owning an iPhone makes you a cock.

Buying the Skoda makes you a person that needs a reasonably priced mode of transport, and since it's owned by VW, it's probably fairly decent to boot.

Got it.

4. The Brave Sir Robin
      Thumb Up

Having owned a BMW...

...and being a current owner of 2 Skodas I can safely say that the Skodas are better built, more reliable, cheaper to run, and generally better cars than my BMW was. They may not be quite so much fun but they do their work-a-day jobs much better.

In this respect your analogy is quite good. BMWs = iphones = expensive fun toys. Skodas=Androids=Useful tools that get the job done affordably and reliably.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How many people are actually enjoying their 4G signal - yeah not many. What about 4G in the UK - thought not.

1. RP84

That might be

because the US provider's use of the term "4G" is totally different to that of the rest of the world. Try looking up 4G in Sweden for instance.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I don't understand the message

The only way to tell the whole crew styleless clones apart is the brand of phone they hold. But the phones are virtually identical.

So this is telling me - Think ever so slightly different?

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Snobby Samsung?

Do I detect the snobbery of New Money here? Is being a waiter in a coffee shop somehow a low class, degrading job? I do not recall Apple ever being idiotic enough to try that argument. Android marketers must be in a bad way.

I thought half the point of a Samsung mobile is that, at first glance, it looks like an iphone (even had a colleague use that as justification for getting one).

Anyway, boasting about battery life? On an Android? 4G must be great, if it can hold the call and if the user can find a 4G provider, for both himself and the one he is calling.

Still, interesting to see the worry so well expressed. The buyers need big, deep pockets it seems, both the size of the mobile and the cost of replacing the ones sat upon.

1. Craigness
      Facepalm

Facepalm

It's really not that hard to get. He thinks he's creative, but he only serves coffee. There's no suggestion of anything being degrading, just that making coffee doesn't make you "creative", nomatter what phone you have. Essentially, the suggestion is that the iphone is for people of little substance who want to be thought of as something better whereas the cool people don't care about projecting an image through material possessions - they just buy the best phone available.

Why do iphone owners complain about the battery life on android phones (without even discriminating by make or model)? It's like when mac users tell me my pc crashes 5 times a day.

1. PhilipN Silver badge

Barista

Anyone who can take a good cup of coffee and, to order, turn it into a steaming pile of horse manure deserves some kind of recognition, although I don't know if creativity is the correct expression.

Yes I mean you, well known chain of branded coffee outlets.

2. DF118

@ Craigness

" Why do iphone owners complain about the battery life on android phones (without even discriminating by make or model)? It's like when mac users tell me my pc crashes 5 times a day."

So true. I can't remember the last time my PC crashed, and I get about 4 days between charges with my "Android phone".

3. Flashy Red

He could also be studying for a job in a creative industry whilst holding down a job as a barista. Therefore his feelings could be entirely valid and the guy diminishing him could just be a twat.

4. Ben Rosenthal

"Why do iphone owners complain about the battery life on android phones (without even discriminating by make or model)? It's like when mac users tell me my pc crashes 5 times a day."

and that's before installing flash which will apparently make your browser crash hourly :D

2. Argh

> 4G must be great, if it can hold the call and if the user can find a 4G provider, for both himself and the one he is calling.

While I'm not familiar with 4G in the US, I would expect that the person being called doesn't have to be on the same 4G network for it to work. That would be silly.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Should have been clearer

I am sure they can talk to each other. Not sure that 4G speeds work unless both ends are using 4G though, hence my cynicism about the worth of 4G today.

1. DF118
          Mushroom

Suppose I should also mention...

...that whenever anyone with a Jesus phone comes round our house the first thing they do is ask for a fucking socket.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I tried watching on a Samsung but couldn't hear it

23. Androgynous & Awkward

@ Devils Gran

OOOOOoooooooooooOOOOOOo.....

Apple user by any chance?

1. Beelzebub's Granny
      Go

Yes

And what of it? Samsung have released an advert that takes the piss out of iPhone buyers. Why can't an iPhone buyer take the piss out of Samsung?

1. TeeCee Gold badge
        Coat

"Why can't an iPhone buyer take the piss out of Samsung?"

Because their hearts aren't in it, having recognised themselves on screen?

24. rpawsey

Nothing New To See Here

This advert is just first class trolling. It gives all the fanbois (both Apple & Adroid) a call to arms and gets everyone (including El Reg) to provide both sides with free publicity. In the old days it was Apple taking potshots at the bigger Microsoft - now the wheel has turned and it is Samsung taking potshots at the bigger Apple. Nothing really changes. Both brands 'win' and the blood pressure of some entrenched fans goes up a few points. Still it is entertaining to watch.

25. Steve Hodson
    Thumb Up

I love my Apple products...

...but that Samsung sure looks the business.

I don't get the hate from either side, It's good that manufacturers are competing like this, it's better for everybody,

26. dikrek
    Stop

the best device is the one you like using

I was a Blackberry user for years, then moved to the iPhone.

Plenty of things annoy me about the iPhone but overall I like it far more than the 'berry.

I tried other stuff, including Android, and it was missing something FOR ME.

Either the build was not good, or the screen not nice, or too big, phone not clear enough - overall, I couldn't find an Android device I enjoyed using OVERALL.

Not about being a conformist, on the contrary, I love supporting the underdog, as long as the underdog has something special that can enhance my day by day life.

I think Microsoft may have a chance against the iPhone with their new paradigm UI in Windows 7.5 Mango, it's a fresh approach.

I'll let fanbois be fanbois and go back to my 4S.

I upgraded from a 3GS (that I used the hell out of and it still looks like new) and I really like the new phone.

No battery issues, I get easily 2x the life of my 3GS.

The screen is incredible.

The graphics speed way better than any other phone out there (for the Android fanbois, why don't you check out some benchmarks and some actual games).

The upgrade process was as seamless as possible, all automated.

It's not just the device - it's everything supporting the device.

The only thing I'd change?

I still don't like the fact that it's essentially 2 pieces of glass with a metal spacer in between.

Unless you have a case it will break with a high degree of certainty if it falls on something hard.

D

1. Gaz Jay

Same here

Couldn't call myself a "fanboi" by any degree.

Exclusively used Nokia's in the late 90's/Early 2000s because I was used to their menu and predictive text system.

Switched to an LG Viewty when they came out as they looked cool - hated the phone in the end due to the insensitivity of the touch pad.

Sampled a number of other smart phones and finally settled on a iPhone 3GS as it seemed to do everything I wanted with the least amount of hassle FOR ME.

Due for an upgrade next month – might just take a free phone off o2’s hands and either give it away as an Xmas present or stick it on eBay. Nothing wrong with my current phone, and I’ve got a iPod dock on my car radio that allows me to use the iPod and Sat Nav on the phone through the car radio.

I don’t understand the “hatred” that both sets of fans have against each other. Get a life!

27. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Where are the hipsters?

Dunno, I love my iPhone but I'm also an engineer, I don't use hair product, and I wear trainers almost all the time. I don't know how everybody got the impression that iPhone/Apple users are all lazy hipsters--maybe because of all those Justin Long commercials? I know a handful of actual hipsters and none of them have iPhones. Actually they all have late-model Android phones now that I think about it.

28. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is about as annoying as Apple's "I'm a Mac" and "I'm a PC" commercials, and for the exact same reasons.

People have different needs when it comes to phones. I don't care that some people like Apple products, they're normally the type that cares more about how the phone looks than what the processor speed is. Why would anyone want to be a snob about that? The cult of Apple is weird, but they're not bothering me.

29. Tommy Pock

These comments have been the best bit

Thanks everyone.

--posted from my Pre 3

30. DJ Particle

If you want people to switch...

...you don't insult your intended audience. That's Samsung's biggest mistake with this ad.

That said, I had a 3GS, upgraded to the 4S.

I've seen numerous Android phones, and have yet to see any with the dpi resolution of the iPhone 4/4S screen (though I'll admit, in polls, most people tend to care more about physical screen size than pixel depth, so Samsung has, from a marketing standpoint, the "right" idea hyping their physically larger screen - end result is they have a pitch point that plays on their audience's ignorance).

Some brands lock you into a specific version of the Android software with no upgrade route (whereas Apple will let you upgrade as many times as the phone is capable). Some brands are heavily DRM'd (at least Apple will allow you to load any video or song you wish). At least you know what you're getting with an iPhone.

31. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This ad changes nothing (but it's funny)

No android user is ever cool. This is because the only reason you buy one of these is because either (a) you're hung up on the OS, (b) you don't appreciate good design or (c) you're poor. These are all uncool traits. Cool people have iphones because they (a) don't care about the friggin' OS (b) do appreciate good design and (c) have money. Now if you've followed this far without hanging up you'll realise that acoording to rule (a), apple fanbois are uncool too. That's why this is a good ad. It's telling the truth, which is that simply having an iphone does not make you cool.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

@ Nicho

Good analysis.

32. Andy 70
    Meh

yawn

just another device, and another "i'm better than you" run of childish advertising.

Fail Samsung.

not exactly "winning hearts and minds" there are we?

33. VodaStudent
    Trollface

Meh, they both suck donkey balls.

I'll wait till my contract is due for upgrade and get the HTC Zeta instead. Either that or whatever phone has the best internals at the time.

As for the whole 'merican' yuppie revival, screw that I would rather spend my money on doing fun stuff that trying to always have the latest fad.

34. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

I think that sums up

what everyone with half a brain already knew.

Exclusive mighnight launches, hype and fashion does not make a great phone. TECHNOLOGY does.

35. Pete James

crying wolf

Apple have spent many years looking down their noses at alternative brands. Fanbois should stop their moaning that they're getting some crap thrown back.

And where's my fekkin coffee?

36. sandman

Marketing fun

Good heavens - you chaps (mostly chaps, I suspect) take your shiny toys rather seriously don't you? I really can't imagine how sad you'd need to be to line up to buy a phone - redefines the expression. I think the advert quite justifiably took the piss out of such patently needy, juvenile behaviour.

Yes, Apple products are lovely, this is being written on a MacBook Pro and the phone in my pocket is indeed an old iPhone 3Gs, but you babies really need to get out more (actually, preferably less, I hate tripping over you while you stumble along the street gazing at your phone with rapt adoration).

37. stim
    Facepalm

well...

...4 million mugs out there will to fund more of granny smiths latest...

1. stim

oops...

will = willing

38. Jim 59

iPhone

Apple have sold the iPhone largely on "Image" and "lifestyle", and accusations of pretentiousness go with that territory. If you are too fashionable and end up believing in your own image, somebody will blow a big rasberry sooner or later, which is what samsung have sone in this ad. Apple should probably take it in good humour.

I have never used a smartphone.

39. C0WB0Y
    Meh

They're just playing Apple's game

It's really just a straightforward & opportunistic swipe at Apple's somewhat increasing difficulties with the launch of new products, which is inevitable considering the demand and the competitive landscape in this market now. It's just like an old Mac v. Windows advert - fair, critical, highlights faults and plays on insecurities. In the end, people will buy what suits them - whether for features or dreams.

40. Nigel Brown
    WTF?

My two pennorth

2 years ago I took out an iPhone contract. Happy with the phone, did all I wanted it to do. I recently renewed my contact and opted for a Samsung Galaxy S2 this time. I figured if I was tying myself into a new 24 month contract then I wanted a phone that felt different to my iPhone, otherwise I might just have well have not bothered upgrading and stuck with my 3GS.

O2 have ubnlocked the iPhone and I now have a PAYG Voda sim in it, for those occasions locally where the O2 coverage is flaky (mainly the local villages). I dont class myself as a fanboi of either camp, they're just phones FFS.

41. This post has been deleted by its author

42. Dave 126 Silver badge

Ironically enough...

... the Samsung Galaxy Note (the one with 5" screen and stylus) might become a better tool for 'creatives'. Apple don't seem to have thought of making a sketching-taking device for the market segment that originally saw them through the 1980s... not since the iDevices have been making them so much money.

Its possible that this vid was Samsung's inspiration:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVmmYMwFj1I

43. Matt 136

"This thing is huge, yeah it's pretty massive"

Why didn't they just say there's a direct correlation between screen size and owner penis size?

Must order my Samsung Galaxy Note today.

44. thesykes

If you queue, you deserve the abuse

Anybody who wastes their lives sitting outside a shop, waiting to buy something which they can walk into that same shop a week later and just pick up off a shelf, is an idiot and deserves ridiculing.

And that applies to any product, regardless of manufacturer.

1. tony
      Happy

Have thought about queuing for an iPhone release...

..and buying a mouse.

45. Slightly_Odd_Child
    Holmes

At the risk of being labelled a fanboi I’ll out with it. I’m an open source user at every turn I can be. As such Android is the closest thing to that I can use mobe-wise. I picked up the HTC Sensation about 4 months ago and haven't looked back. Since I’m not biased to either Sammy or HTC (though I may be slightly anti-I-b*ll*cks) I can honestly say that of the big players I much prefer the HTC

Apart from a few battery life issues initially (easily sorted by an app or two and not being an idiot) I really have had no issues. In my experience when asked why they bought an iPhone most users (most NOT all) can only reply "'Cos it's the best innit!"..........I weep for the human race sometimes!

46. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wait, did reg just say 'ass'?

I sincerely hope you meant donkey.

47. BoxedSet
    Pint

Can we have a coffee bean icon for the barista toting iPhone brigade?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No! That would profane my dark (and slightly bitter) God.

48. DrGonzo
    Trollface

Hmmm

Does one have to turn up the volume on ones hardware to hear the advert and does the volume stay up if one does ...

49. Macka

The iPhone 4S is for...

.. people who don't want their very personal data snitched by one of the many Android root kits and scattered to the 4 winds.

1. Swarthy
      Facepalm

Exactly! Only authorized iOS rootkits are allowed to steal their data!

Head in the sand much? About the only thing the iPhone did do first was popular malware, iPhone virii came out well before Android bugs.

50. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"... the Samsung Galaxy Note (the one with 5" screen and stylus) might become a better tool for 'creatives'."

... with huge (physically) pockets - it's too big for a phone - if you want that size get a tablet / iPad.

51. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"I have never used a smartphone."

= you are not really in a position to comment - caveman!

52. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Excellent analogy. As Skoda make very good cars these days[1], it illustrates how some people are daft enough to wait to pay extra for a similar car with a better badge on it."

They have come a long way but it's still a Skoda and how many Skoda drivers go around thinking you know what even if they had given me the BMW I would rather have the Skoda.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

if they had given me the BMW everyone would think I was a tw*t.

There, fixed that for you.

53. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

YOU ARE A BUNCH OF PHONE SNOBS.

Good job Samsung, pointing out how incredibly dumb these fanbois are, it makes me feel warm inside.

YOU ARE A BUNCH OF PHONE SNOBS.

How do you know when someone is calling you from their iPhone?

Because they say "I'm calling you/called you from my iPhone" WTF is what about?

Because they want the whole world to know they have an iPhone.

Obviously you are calling from a phone whether mobile or land line, but do I really really really really really need to know you have an iPhone? GTFOH

I'm not making this up, it happens all the time.

Many Blackberry users are just as guilty too!

I'll call you from my Blackberry..... um...hello.... what you really mean is: "I'll call you"? Again I don't need to know nor do I care what you do it with.

YOU ARE THE BLIND AND MINDLESS SHEEP THAT APPLE AND OTHERS WANT YOU TO BE, THAT WAY THEY CAN MILK YOU FOR YOUR MONEY, AND YOU WILL ENJOY IT.!

Bwaahahahahhaha.

Meep Meep.

1. alwarming

> I'm not making this up, it happens all the time.

Never happened to me - I am guessing we move in different circles ;-)

Though I used to see a lot of "sent from my iphone" mails earlier -which was, of course, auto generated.

54. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

But...

..Opera can already do all this... (etc.)

*runs, head-down to avoid airborne rotting fruit*

55. Anonymous Coward 15
    Trollface

U mad, fanbois?

Trololololol...

56. stuff and nonesense
    Happy

Dave Gormon was dead right..

Look at the time on the SII phones, and then look at a few analogue clock adverts, the hands on analogue clocks (mostly) show a hand pointing to 10 and a hand pointing to 2, this is a marketeer's idea.

Make a happy face...

57. silent_count

Oooh Oooh

I like to throw my money away on *my* favourite flavour of overpriced garbage. I'm so devoted to my choice of overpriced garbage that I'll denigrate anyone who wasted their money on a different brand of overpriced garbage.

Mine's the one with the carrier pigeons in the pockets.

58. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"if they had given me the BMW everyone would THINK I was a tw*t.

There, fixed that for you."

If you drove the Skoda they would KNOW you were a poor tw*t who wished they had a BMW (and an iPhone).

59. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Samsung would love for people to actually want their phones / products to queue up like this - even 1/10th as much. People buy Samsung because they want today's decent Android handset - there is no loyalty - next time they would buy a HTC or Nokia or whatever.

60. Gordon 8
    Pirate

Skoda Owner

I was a happy Skoda owner until I moved to Singapore. (most expensive place on the planet to buy a car, have to buy a certificate of entitlement (lasts 10 years) before you can own one, currently going at over 30,000 sterling for a <1600cc)

The Skoda started in the morning, even when covered in frost, got me from point a to point b, and was a lot cheaper to run than a BMW.

I'm (still) a happy HTC HD2 user (Windows Mobile 6.5) Have put android on it and taken it off again. Don't want fruit on my phone.

Best phone I ever had Nokia 6230, still have it, it works even after 6 or 7 years still get 2 days battery life from it.

You pay your money and take your choice.

Good comment about the Barista.....

61. ImOldGregg
    Stop

Can't we all just get along?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like