back to article Google machine-guns unpopular social products

Identity-hoarder Google has killed various social products that failed to capture the interweb's hive brain in the way it clearly thinks Google+ has done. As part of Larry Page's drive to make the Chocolate Factory's products appear more uniform across the vast Google estate, the company confirmed it was culling a host of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Version 1.0 Silver badge
    Happy

Will not be missed

And this is why I refuse to use any Google software adventures until it's clear that they are going to stick around - I mean, what's the point of investing my time in something that get's canned on months with an "R" in them?

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Duckorange
      Trollface

They don't make machine guns...

...just the bullets with your name on.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmm

"Identity-hoarder Google has killed various social products that failed to capture the interweb's hive brain in the way it clearly thinks Google+ has done."

Except as we know, Google+ didn't really take off...

4. Inventor of the Marmite Laser Silver badge

Heyyyy Google - Can we have Google Notes back, please?

Like it sez.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hopefully, they'll focus on search...

It would be nice if it could handle a simple query without needing every second word wrapped in quotes.

6. IanKRolfe
    Unhappy

Miss you google bookmarks....

But I've not heard of the other services they're canning!

1. Argh

From the click-through to the Google Blog post, I think that Google Bookmarks (which I use, providing HTML access or extension-based access for pretty much any browser) is staying, just the "lists" feature is being cancelled.

7. Forget It
    Coffee/keyboard

The Knol -> Stephen Fry

Knol no more? then ->

Stephen Fry Does the Knowledge

Stephen Fry's metaphorical taxi journey to discover what knowledge really means

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b013spvh#blq-content

8. Richard Wharram

Meh

and meh.

9. RichardBarrell

Google Gears

Google Gears wasn't a pile of social network-ey "Web2.0rhea". It was the prototype sandbox for a whole load of nifty client-side things, many of which have now made their way into the HTML5 standard. Like localStorage, for instance.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Yes, whether you think Gears was interesting or not, it has nothing to do with anything I've seen in the various "Web 2.0" definitions - amorphous and over-reaching though they are. (I suppose it could fit the Reg's definition if you used it to cache pictures of badgers' paws.)

I personally never used Gears, but a friend used it to build an application for people doing door-to-door medical surveys, running on cheap hardware that didn't have mobile networking; the app cached data locally until the interviewers got back to the office (a non-profit neighborhood center) and connected to its network. Simple and effective.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like