back to article Man nearly faints with relief as cops drop chopper charge

Ohio police have dropped charges against a man they claimed had induced panic amongst the citizenry of Akron by brandishing a large red chopper in a bar. Bill Morrison had been charged after a woman called 911 to say that he walked into a bar sporting the enormous blood-spattered chopper last month. Despite police determining …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. jake Silver badge

Whatever.

There's a time & place for everything.

I've walked into a bar with an axe, and have had everyone oohing & ahing over the hardware ... The bar was the Welcome Inn, in Fort Bragg California. The axe was my latest forging, a throwing axe. Several days later, I came in second at the Paul Bunyan Days competition.

And that's just the sharps ... I couldn't tell you how many times I've walked into a bar with my Precision Big Block ;-)

1. Jim 59

Man walked into a bar

"I've walked into a bar with an axe"

Wow. If you did that in the UK, you would be descended upon by the doormen yapping into their pockets, the local police, fire brigade, coastguard, SAS etc etc.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Wouldn't have made it as far as the doormen

Police sniper headshot.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

restorative justice

I wonder if there are plans to send the woman on a tool recognition study day? It would help if there were some hands-on chopper familiarisation aspects to the course too.

3. Iainn
    Thumb Down

Again with no explanation of what a 'chopper' is until 3/4 way through the article? Jeez...

1. Luna Tick

I was trying to imagine how the hell do you get a helicopter into a bar nevermind a blood-spattered one, and whether a "bar" could be some kind of codeword for an airport.

2. Mage Silver badge

So ...

You're new here Iainn?

4. Red Bren
    Pirate

When exactly last month?

October 31st for example? I always wear a hockey mask and take a chainsaw to the pub on October 31st and nobody bats an eyelid...

5. Bassey

Re: Iainn

"Again with no explanation of what a 'chopper' is until 3/4 way through the article? Jeez..."

That was the whole point, Iainn. Double Entendre fall a little flat if you explain them beforehand. It's called humour?

1. joe.user
      FAIL

English humour lost on most of the World, except Brits...

English humour lost on most of the World, except Brits...

1. Mark 65

Website has a UK url so who cares, we appreciate it?

6. joe.user
    Meh

Chopper in USA = Motorcycle | Ax in USA = Chopper in UK

Thanks for the clarification

1. John McCallum
      Devil

It also has another third meaning.

2. Bucky 2
      Big Brother

"Chopper" can also refer to a "Chef's Knife."

But honestly, people, the fun of the article was all about the ambiguity.

The thing I'm having trouble wrapping my mind around is nut-job who thought they were viewing a murder object, and called the cops.

3. Fatman
      Stop

Brit slang

...could easily be the death of some bloke here on the west side of the pond.

I once witnessed a Brit nearly getting creamed by a 'good ole boy' (in the South {of the USA}), when he (the Brit) asked for a cigarette, using typical Brit slang.

The 'good ole boy' did not know what to make of that request; until I intervened, and asked the Brit if he wanted a 'cigarette'. Situation defused (barely).

7. cd
    Pint

Ohio...

...is the eternal province of the stupid reactionary. I wouldn't drink in a bar where a man couldn't walk in with an axe.

When I think of choppers and bars I think of Daytona or Sturgis.

8. Francis Boyle Silver badge

I was expecting a Harley

But, hey, penis works too.

This topic is closed for new posts.