back to article Councils 'fessed up to just 55 of 1,035 data loss shockers

The scale of data-handling gaffes at local authorities has been revealed by a new report that uncovered 1,035 incidents where confidential information about British citizens was lost. Privacy campaign group Big Brother Watch (BBW) submitted 433 Freedom of Information Act requests to councils across the UK that covered a three- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dodgy Geezer Silver badge
    Facepalm

Can I put a request in..

to government, asking for the total extra amount taxpayers have to pay as a result of one government body fining another government body....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

And the cost of finding that information would be borne by whom?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Another slightly misleading headline?

Look at the list of incidents detailed in the report. How many losses/thefts were on encrypted devices vs those on unencrypted devices?

3. Jimbo 6
    WTF?

My ghast is well and truly flabbered

"In Kent, scanned case notes relating to children were found on Facebook."

To me, a 'loss' is something that happens accidentally. Can anyone explain exactly how someone might *accidentally* do that ?

I can only think that you would have to scan a load of casenotes for some legitimate reason, save them in the same folder as the pics of your latest weekend pissup, then upload the entire folder but don't bother looking at the output because you're too busy rushing out to pick up the latest copy of 'Hello' magazine.

If I could include two icons, there'd be a 'Facepalm' too.

1. Lockwood
      Facepalm

No content here

Just being neighbourly and giving you a second icon.

4. All names Taken
    Paris Hilton

Uh-huh dudes...

A Council may have administrative duties placed upon it by central government in order to administer something on behalf of central government to standards set by central government.

It is usually put in position of being an agent.

The trouble is that the agent has been afforded positions that more or less put it above the law (negligence, contributory negligence, precedence in common law of England, ... ) in a most perturbing way.

Best solution:

make the agent accountable including negligence, contributory negligence

make the agent compete on a value of service and efficiency of service basis (easily done)

if the agent persists in poor practice then the agent is dismissed voiding TUPE and replaced with another provider

Easy!

Tseetch!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like