back to article Facebook phone rises from the dead, again

Facebook is working on a phone, and has called it "Buffy" in tribute to the impossibly-hard-to-kill vampire slayer of the same name, but don't expect to see it until 2014. That's according to AllThingsD, which reports Facebook is working with HTC to have the phone ready for launch in 12 to 18 months. That seems a long time to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. craigj
    Joke

Risen from the dead?

Maybe this is the real Jesus Phone!

2. Richard Wharram

ICS?

I thought ICS shipped with high Google+iness.

3. Code Monkey
    Thumb Down

In case any of you are in the slightest doubt as to what a daft idea this is, re-read the article and replace "Facebook" with "MySpace". You'll be rewarded with a vision of what this phone will be in 2 years time.

4. BoxedSet
    FAIL

Perfect! A mobile for calling up all those friends you have never met.... erm hello? prank caller

*poke*, giggle..... yawn

5. JeffyPooh
    Pint

A Facebook privacy-leak phone?

Everything you do will be immediately posted to Facebook. ?

6. Matt 70
    FAIL

wont hold my breath...

Seeing as Facebook cant even code an iPhone app correctly to work with their own product, I would have no faith in any hardware they ever created or were involved in.

Surely the garbage ratings that Facebook have for their app had something to do with them being dropped from the 4S launch.

7. Peter Gathercole Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Love the reference

to 'Buffy - The Musical'.

8. Adrian Jones
    Coat

"impossibly-hard-to-kill vampire slayer"

I seem to recall that she was killed twice.

Although she came back on both occasions, despite being buried for a while the second time.

Mine's the one with the box set in the pocket.

1. Andrew Garrard

Discussing Buffy is more interesting than the phone

I tend to think of it as three times, depending on events in Seeing Red/Villains, but it's a little hard to be definitive about this kind of thing. Definitely only twice by Once More With Feeling, though.

Sadly, even my love of the show and wish that anything as consistently good was still on (let's not talk about Beer Bad) probably won't talk me into associating myself with Facebook.

Shame there's no RIP icon any more.

9. Jemma

A slight rewrite of "the prom" speech

But whenever there was a problem or something creepy happened, you seemed to have been involved. Most of the people here have been humiliated by you, or lost jobs because you at one time or another.

We're proud to say that the Facebook generation has the lowest social quotient of any in history. And we know at least part of that is because of you. So we offer our thanks, and give you, uh, this. It's from all of us, and it has written here: "Facebook. just Die Already!"

Shame really that Anya was only fictional - the number of people who could really use a vengeance demon when the name Zuckerberg is mention probably beggars belief.. I wonder how many times she could kill him in creative ways before she got tired. It'd be messy, so put a tarp over that sofa..

/off to think happy Tara thoughts...

10. Paul 135
    FAIL

facebook for android is dung

Given that the current Facebook app for Android is a steaming pile of cpu-hogging battery-draining dung that always runs in the background (even when signed out) and I can't remove from my Sony Ericsson phone, then no vone in their right mind should go near any Facebook phone.

1. mikeyboosh
      Thumb Up

Try Tinfoil for Facebook on your Android device...it's just m.facebook.com but it's sandboxed and is easy on battery life and doesn't use gps.

2. Dana W
      Meh

Who needs privacy?

Say what you will about iOs, I can kill any app, I'm not stuck with junk apps that run in the background. And I can kill the pre-installed system apps as well.

Isn't Facebook nosy enough without a phone with Facebook you CAN'T turn off, ever? Does it come with a collar and a leash? Or a ring through your nose?

11. JeffyPooh
    FAIL

I agree about Facebork coders...

My iPhone 4S can only hold a couple of webpages in memory while Facebork is even loaded. If I try to open three or four Safari pages, then it drops the contents of the background pages. Each time I switch pages, it reloads from the Interweb. If I shut down Facebork, then the Safari page limit is vastly higher.

12. A. Lewis
    Thumb Down

Even without the Facebook 'app', most HTC android phones can still post status updates directly from the home screen, show friends' updates in a scrollable feed, and upload pictures directly from the camera.

How much more intregrated could it get? Unless of course, as some have suggested, it will automatically tell all your facebook friends where you are and what you're doing. Perhaps it will automatically poke any other facebook phones you pass? This could be scary indeed...

13. Gil Grissum
    Pint

AT&T will probably be the sole carrier of this Facebook phone. It will probably be most popular with teenaged girls.

14. FozzyBear

With any luck

Facebook itself will follow the idea of a facebook phone into oblivion in the near future

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like