back to article AMD smacks Xeon 5600s with Opteron 6200s

Advanced Micro Devices is currently winning the core count battle in the x86 server-chip war with the just-announced and now shipping "Interlagos" Opteron 6200s, which cram 16 cores into a big fat G34 socket. That's the same G34 socket that the prior generation Opteron 6100s used, so adopting the new chip is a snap for those …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I wish nothing but the best for AMD

I hope AMD bounces back stronger than ever in all market segments so consumers have quality products at fair prices.

2. K
    Devil

They've converted me

I'm about to order our 5 year, I'll be moving from IBM Xeon based servers to Dell AMD... bang for buck there is no competition.

Been waiting a long time for this, the cheque book is defrosting as we speak :D

3. Fenton

SAP benchmark

Well I've done an extensive comparison of the HP DL580s and DL585s comparing the Intel 10core/20 thread chips and the interlagos. (see benchmarks at www.sap.com/benchmark).

With SAP the conclusion is that an AMD core has the same performance as an Intel thread but at half the cost.

Now if you to go for a DL580 fully loaded you get 16 more threads than you do AMD cores, so if you are looking at minimum rack space usage and high server utilization and cost is not a factor then intel all the way.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like