back to article Sony Bravia KDL-55HX923 55in LED 3D TV

The KDL-55HX923 is a remarkable Freeview HD TV for many reasons. It’s humungous for one, measuring 148cm diagonally. It’s also overflowing with image technology and network niceties, as befits a flagship product. Even from a design standpoint, this set knocks the ball out of the park. Sony Bravia KDL-55HX923 55in 3D TV A …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. James 51

You'd think at the best part of three grand they'd throw in a second set of glasses.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is there a decent 55 / 60 inch TV ?

The LEDs suffer from uniformity issues - backlight bleed / crease etc.

Top end plasmas (e.g. Panasonic) suffer from "floating blacks" and other issues (e.g. buzz / fan noise).

Is there a near perfect set 55 - 65 inches? I'd be prepared to increase my mortgage or should I buy something cheap and wait another year or so ?

1. Dick Emery
      Coat

The Panny plasma's are still rated better than LCD's despite the floating blacks and less brightness issues. However you will be waiting a long time for the 'perfect' HDTV. OLED displays will initially be extremely expensive at those sizes when they do eventually arrive. Which is why the OLED headset looks a better deal (well for one person viewing at least).

For the Panny sets though calibration is a must. I still see floating blacks but not nearly as much as I used to before calibrating.

2. Andy Moreton

Projector?

Once you have seen a decent HD projector you won't want a large TV. Picture quality is in a whole different league, so long as you can watch in reduced light.

3. tmTM
    Trollface

A good looking Sony Telly?

It can't be.....but it is

4. Joseph Lord
    Thumb Up

You do get two pairs of glasses and a Skype camera!

The article is incorrect you do get two pairs of 3D glasses and the Skype camera included with the HX923.

iPlayer works really well and you can play recordings from a MythTV server over DLNA.

Former Sony TV Product Planner.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

As a Former Sony TV Product Planner.

Perhaps you are in a position to explain why Some formats (eg mkv) are playable from a USB drive but NOT playable from a DLNA Media Server (eg Twonky).. It's obvious that the device has the required codecs, so how/why can it not cope?!?

5. gibman70

you can actually pick this up for around £2200 online - significantly better value and at that price surely a serious proposition.

6. Stuart Halliday
    Facepalm

Oops again

So basically Sony has done another 'Trinitron grill line' thingy like last time?

Once you've noticed it, you keep on noticing it.... :)

Amazing how the same technology mistakes keep making a come back!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just Why?

"The screen can also stream content from local USB storage and from networked devices, but there’s no support for NAS-stored MKVs."

Sometimes I think they do this deliberately so that they will have a selling point for a future model... or is that just me being sceptical.. Its obvious the device has the required codecs they are just crippled.. but it seems this is an industry collaboration/standard..

Panashitic do it too: http://www.reghardware.com/2011/11/18/review_panasonic_sc_btt270_blu_ray_home_theatre/

"As an adjunct to local USB media playback, the receiver will also stream across your network, although file compliancy is poor and presentation basic. While AVIs and MKV content unspooled from a stick, it wasn’t recognized on my Nas."

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like