back to article Bethesda promises fix for Skyrim Xbox graphics glitch

Games developer Bethesda insists it will address all reported bugs in Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim through a patch for all platforms. Despite glowing reviews, a fair few bugs have begun to annoy players. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Dealing with the problems One issue affects those who installed the game on their Xbox 360 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

what kind of tool gets an elder scrolls game on a console?

You miss out on mods, the wonderful wonderful world that enhances game play by a great many times.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

PS3 version has mods

Just like Ut2004, Portal and other games.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I rarely get gameplay enhancement mods. I do however relish the oportunity to get community fixes, and in the case of Oblivion and Skyrim, UI enhancements.

You only have to look at the scale of community bug fix mods to see how soon Bethesda generally get bored of fixing stuff.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

what kind of tool spends £2k on a PC with a fancy graphics card just to play a game?

Obviously one that doesn't have other half, family or a classic car to run.

Enjoyed Oblivion on the Xbox, might catch Skyrim in a couple of months when it is half price.

1. CD001

The solution

... don't have kids then you can afford both a £2k PC AND a PS3 :P

4. Michael Beck
      Stop

What kind of tool?

"what kind of tool gets an elder scrolls game on a console?"

The "kind of tool" who'd rather not spend the price of the console just on a graphics card.

The "kind of tool" who doesn't want to keep upgrading their PC every couple of years to run the latest game.

I spend all day sat in front of a PC and the last thing I want to do is to go home and sit in front of a PC all evening to play a game. I like to play games casually, so it's nice to be able to go home, sit or lie out on a comfortable sofa and play the game without having to remember a load of key bindings.

If you want to play on a PC, get all the mods and change the scenery, gameplay, etc, then fair play to you and I'm sure you'll have a great time. No complaints or criticism from me. So don't criticize me for wanting to play on a console.

I understand that the PC users are cheesed off about the interface and how it's "dumbing down" for the console users. Blame the game creators for that, not the console users, it was the creators who made the decision to run with a one size fits all solution.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well it was written by Notch, his patch will likely just add a pet nobody wants and make all the bugs worse!

1. Chad H.
      Meh

Could be worse

If it was world of Warcraft you'd get the terrible pet, worse bugs AND have to spend hours studying the new talent tree to work of if your class and play style had been nerfed.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I suppose I should fill people in on the Notch thing,

Notch made Minecraft (and has lots of spare cash) he then started making a ccg computer game thing called scrolls. Bethesda decided to try it on, Notch offered to call it Scrolls:insert some subtitle, Bethesda refused, so they're going to court.

I'm willing to wager Mojang has more spare cash than Bethesda.

3. LarsG

THE ODD GLITCH

on the pc, my only gripe the installation insists on downloading on steam even if the retail disc is being used. There is a win 7 work around, but it shouldn't be necessary.

Also the mouse control in the menu and when putting the character together is like moving the cursor through treacle.

Otherwise good.

1. Iain 15

Not so in my experience, or is it only Win7? (inst on xp)

4. David Webb

Will they be fixing the XBox style graphics on the PC? A nice high-res DX11 patch would be oh so wonderful. No? Shame, the game itself (when it isn't CTD'ing or freezing) is bloody good, it's just the visuals don't inspire the same "OMFG" that Oblivion did in it's time.

5. Pypes

Bugs!

The game glitched out on me the first time I started it, the scripted intro didn't run and instead I was stood next to a horse and cart with my hands bound and unable to move, waited about 5 minutes for something to happen before I restarted.

The sad thing is that this is pretty much what I've come to expect from a day 1 game purchase nowadays.

6. Martin Lyne

Compared to Battlefield 3 this release has gone amazingly. Not crashed once and hours of fun, even the other half enjoyed playing it. Back to it!

7. Will 28

"We can't turn it around quite that fast. It's been three days"

Three days from what exactly, oh yes - release! That's when a game has passed QA standards and been certified internally to be good enough for release. Skyrim was going to make a mint, and Bethesda knew it, still rather than a careful testing program they have stuck with their tactic of using their most enthusiastic users as unwitting beta testers.

It's why I haven't bought it yet. I'll pick it up when they iron out the issues (probably be on sale by then).

1. Neil Porter
      Childcatcher

Couldn't agree more

Will 28 has it spot on.

I'm baffled why the Scrolls and Fallout games get released with so many bugs. I could understand if it was something bizarre like when you go to x location and talk to y person in z order then your pet dog floats about but they are releasing with such obvious and basic bugs.

Spend some money on testing guys. It's a win-win investment.

2. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Bethesda, like most companies (I'm looking at you Microsoft in your ME to Vista era...) do not appreciate the input of QA except when it inevitably hits the fan.

I still know a few web developers like that.

8. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge
    Joke

Bethesda

Perhaps one day they'll finish a game before releasing it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

you haven't bought a game for a while have you?

Worst thing about decent internet, nobody at all releases finished games. It was a bit of a pain when a few games were unfinished and you needed to get patches from pc gamer disks but now nobody finishes their games.

9. Oninoshiko
    Gimp

Elder Scrolls

This would be the same series that Daggerfall was from, no?

wonderfully beautiful open-ended game play... FOR THE 10 MINUTES IT WOULD RUN.

This series has been like this from the beginning. Frankly, I don't know why gamers put up with it, and if what I've seen from a few other recent releases is any indicator, it's a systemic problem in the industry.

1. Stef 4
      Gimp

"This series has been like this from the beginning."

No, no it really hasn't.

Arena was almost bug free and had no crashes for me.

Daggerfall was almost bug free and had no crashes for me, and worked fine under Windows 95. (There was the occasional bug when trying to complete the randomly generated 'fetch' quest, but that is life. I am sure someone will say that they needed 200 patches or something, but those fixes were generally for bizarre combinations of events.)

Morrowind only 1 bug springs to mind, something about finding a key before you are 'supposed' to doesn't trigger an event. It was patched. No crashes.

Oblivion, an annoying bug in the main quest when visiting someone's house. Was patched. Crashed probably twice in about 200 hours playtime over the years, and that was when it was modded to the hilt with conflicting mods and graphic boosters.

Skyrim, only 35 hours in so far. No bugs, no glitches, no crashes. Graphics could be better when looking at snow (PC on Ultra).

I'm sure there are many users who will scream about how often the game crashed for them. But as the games work for so many other people, then it is obviously their setup, and no developer can test for infinite combinations of drivers, hardware, virus, and registry errors that exist on our machines.

The big shock is the issue with the Xbox version. The xbox version is the only one that has been shown so far because it was "the worst looking version, and we didn't want people to be disappointed, so we didn't show the best version." All the haters and whiners were slamming Bethesda for taking Mircrosoft's money and only showing the xbox version, when in reality they were openly saying that the xbox version was the worst.

Go ahead people, call be a fanboy. I am one after all. I've had no problems with their Elder Scrolls games on many different PCs over the years. People suggesting they haven't tested enough is ludicrous, there is just no way to test so many combinations of events in such an open world. This isn't some crappy on the rails shooter that lasts 6 hours (Thank you Halo 3).

Having said that, and contradicting myself, what the hell is up with the xbox version. No excuse for that considering that is the version they've been showcasing for the last 10 months.

Just waiting for all the "horse armour" comments now. As if Bethesda somehow forced people into buying it. You don't want armour for your horse? Then don't bloody buy it. I didn't, why would I buy useless crap like that? The name kind of described what it was. If people bought it, they only have themselves to blame.

2. Steve Gill

10 Minutes?

That's an impressive fail on your PC setup at the time - the best we did with Daggerfall was 72 hours solid, five of us taking turns with the controls.

10. Jim Coleman
    Megaphone

Question:

If I install it onto my laptop, will I be able to play it on the train to/from work?

i.e. without a DVD drive or internet access, and using an XBox controller.

If it needs the DVD in the drive, or requires internet access, I'm f**ked so won't bother buying it.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like