back to article Fourteenth century timekeeper turns up in Queensland

The second-oldest known British scientific instrument in existence is going to auction next month after spending decades in a farm shed in Queensland. The “equal hour horary quadrant” – a timepiece for calculating time of day from the sun – is dated 1396, carries the badge of Richard II, and seems to have ended up in Australia …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Hairy Airey
    Happy

Now if only H6 could be found

That would be amazing...

2. jake Silver badge

Nice keepsake! ... but keep it, idiot.

I own an 1851 Colt Revolver that my great-great-Grandfather acquired new. We shoot her twice a year, on gg-Gs birthday, and the day of his death, just to educate the kiddies. Old kit exists for a reason ... and that reason is better kept in the family, not in a museum. It's called "sharing family history", which is sadly lacking these days ...

As a side-note, I kinda suspect Stonehenge and Avebury Circle are older than the scientific instrument in question. I could be wrong. It's been known to happen.

1. James Hughes 1

On the other hand

£200k could create a lot of family history.

This device is so rare it should be in a museum where it can be seen by others. Unlike a 1851 Colt revolver which whilst not commonplace, has more examples in existence.

1. jake Silver badge

@James Hughes 1

£200k doesn't even buy a HOUSE in this neck of the woods ...

And for the record, my old revolver is stored in a museum, on display, with other bits of gg-G's kit, for most of the year.

2. Tom 38
      Thumb Down

Stonehenge isn't a clock

It's a calendar.

1. jake Silver badge

@Tom 38

Who said "clock"? We were discussing scientific instruments in general, weren't we?

3. Winkypop Silver badge
    Trollface

OK, I'll go first...

14th century?

This timepiece passes as modern kit in Queensland.

(Maybe it's why they don't have daylight savings)

1. Pierre Castille
      Facepalm

Daylight Saving Time in the Tropics

No point mate!

2. Chad H.

Although I agree with your assesment on Queenslander technology; Is daylight savings time really proof of any particular level of development ...

4. Tony Rogers
    Pint

Apple Patent ?

One must be very sure that Apple have not already obtained a Patent for this item.

May turn up as an APP iQuad timepiece ?

This topic is closed for new posts.