back to article Facebook offers 20-year privacy settlement to FTC

Facebook appears to be close to a settlement with the Federal Trade Commission over complaints of users’ privacy being abused by the social networking giant. According to two people familiar with the negotiations, Facebook is offering to submit to annual privacy monitoring for the next 20 years. It may also give a commitment …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. zen1
    Mushroom

On one hand

If people would simply read the terms and conditions then they would know and understand that facebook has nothing to gain by protecting anything belonging to anybody. So, my guess is that IF the gubment bites on the face book proposed plan, it will be ripe with loop holes and technicalities that, on the surface, appear to be protecting the users rights to privacy, but are really nothing more than an absolute sham.

Conversely, it'd be fantastic if the government forbade FB (et. al) from tracking, monitoring or planting cookies on machines of people who DON'T use Face Book or have a face book account.

After hearing about the latest accusations of FB tracking non-FB users, I did a little digging in some of the cookie files, on a machine that only I use. Guess what, I found a number of cookies that pointed back to facebook.com.

Had I a fb account AND agreed to their ToS, they'd have me by the short and curlies and could do pretty much anything they wanted. But I've never signed up, as I have much better things to do with my time. And I don't recall them contacting me about leasing disk space on MY computer.

Mark: You're a lying, slimy asshole, bitch!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

20 years, by jove?

A enthusiastic bit of optimism there, methinks. ;-)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like