back to article Hong Kongers fight for right to stand in line for iPhone 4S

Apple's Hong Kong store appeared to have banned the traditional queue fest ahead of its launch of the iPhone 4S this weekend, after "tongue fights" between "professional" queuers and their amateur counterparts threatened to get much nastier. The queueing "ban" came after a day of rising tensions, which culminated in police " …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. BristolBachelor Gold badge
    Joke

UK

Is that even allowed in the UK? I thought that as soon as more than about 4 people (critical mass) were in the same place to do the same thing, it was illegal? Laws about convoys, raves, unauthorised demonstrations against the government, etc.?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Get a f***ing life

Jesus, it's a f***ing phone.

3. ed2020
    WTF?

A tongue fight??

1. Nights_are_Long
      Headmaster

I think it's possible that it's a direct translation of Argument, a fight with words chines can be very literal when translated*.

* = I am going of what I have been told by a chines friend.

4. Bluenose
    Paris Hilton

Tongue fighting

There's a very attractive blonde down the road, if I persuade her to engage in some 'tongue fighting" will the local police ban us? If we argue it is tonsil tickling does that get around the ban

You can guess why Paris but she is not the blonde down the road.

5. LarsG

TONGUE FIGHTING......

A popular sport among overweight rich western businessmen travelling to Asia on search of 'I give you good time".

OR

A Chinese martial art, the object is to remove your opponents tongue using the 'Lik Mee' move but without damaging the lips and nose of your opponents.

6. adrian727
    Stop

As I can see it here in HK, the "Amateur queuers" are trying to make profit for queuing as well. People tired of queuing can get their phone from operators without a fuss.

The queuers should get out of the kitchen if they can't stand the heat.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

it's normal here...

I can't count how many times I've seen paid protesters since the GFC here in Hong Kong. I walked past the queue the other day and didn't know why they were standing there (the queue is a fair way from the shop compared to photos I've seen in other countries). The suprising thing was that they weren't banging pots and pans for months on end like they normally do when they get together in public. People are paid to protest for literally months on end here - and they don't protest quietly. I'm pleased to hear that it was a true HK crowd yesterday though - I thought they might be losing their groove.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

tongue fight?

more like water fight =)

9. Chris Sake
    Trollface

Tongue in cheek

At the penultimate queue for things Apple here in this lost corner of the Empire, the product sold out quickly as expected. Those who missed out were able to continue to queue to obtain an Apple t-shirt, while supplies lasted. The lucky wearers managed to evoke more jealousy among the have-nots than that generated by those who did not get an iPad.

I wonder if those professional queuers are available for hire to source tickets at the next Rugby Seven's.

Tongue-fighting, while a custom of places like Wanchai, and popular among "overweight rich western businessmen" and their consorts, is well-recommended to leave alone. One never knows from where those tongues have been before. The term, "the great unwashed", comes to mind.

If an amateur blue-shirted wearing militia ever formed here, it would get short, sharp shrift from the professional blue-shirted militia (1); the professional green-shirted militia (2); or the professional white-gloved militia (3).

1 - Police

2 - PLA (pedantically, military, not militia)

3 - Triads (from whom one hires professional queuers).

10. Mips
    Childcatcher

Don't see the problem

Phoned up day one. Phones arrived day two. You must like queuing.

11. Maryland, USA
    Stop

There's a simple way to end queue jumpers

Hand out numbered tickets. When I've found myself in a jumbled queue, I've worked with others in the queue to write numbered tickets on the spot. It worked like a charm.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like