back to article UK to big brands: Get off our Facebook, mate!

Nearly two-thirds of Britons would prefer big-name brands to stay off social networks, according to a new survey. The crusty old Brits are the most bothered by advertising on Facebook, Twitter and the like, with 61 per cent of social network users saying they'd prefer not to engage with brands on social media, compared to 60 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Magnus_Pym
    Stop

How many times?

No matter what name you give it, no matter what 'new technology' is employed. No matter how focused the campaign. NOBODY WANTS TO BE COLD CALLED.

2. Tiny Iota
    Stop

I know this is probably going to single me out for the next series of Grumpy Old Men, but I have to say I am finding it increasingly annoying that so many products or competitions are linked to Facebook (for which I do not have an account) instead of the companies’ own website. Why does this brand of soft drink want me to go to Facebook to take part in their competition or find out more about them rather than their own, presumably expensively maintained (maybe that’s it?) website with all their own branding?

1. DAN*tastik
      Thumb Down

Are they still recruiting for G.O.M.?

Because I would like to go on a bit about films that give their facebook link as official website.

If they can't afford / be arsed to have their own site, it probably says quite a lot about its quality

3. Bernard M. Orwell

The problem, I believe, is that we've had a fair few years now, since the birth of the interwebs, where we've been bombarded first of all with spam mail, then pop-ups, then pop-unders, then roll-overs, then more spam mail and so on. Then, we got bombarded with people telling us all these were scams, ID theft attempts, 419's, viruses, trojans and so on.

Now, I think we have a tendancy to assume ALL web-based advertising is probably some sort of scam, and its this that retailers are trying to overcome.

Certainly, speaking for myself, my natural reaction to internet advertising is a cautious one, and certainly not an impulsive-let's-buy-it one.

The reason it's more of an issue in the UK? Well, we're far more cynical than most of our partner nations, aren't we?

Bit of a mountain to climb there, big biz. Good luck to you!

4. Roger B
    Thumb Up

Not having a Facebook page, I quite like getting an email from a brand that directs me to their Facebook page, means I can unsubscribe from their mailing list! If they can't run their own website then its bye bye from me as a customer.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I never see any ads on Facebook

Adblock+ in Firefox sees to that 8-)

1. Stoneshop
      Big Brother

I never see ads on Facebook either

Not visiting is my vastly preferred solution there.

6. Alien Doctor 1.1

Farcebook

I agree with Mr Iota; I do not have a facebook account and even if I did I wouldn't "interact" with brands that used it as it seems to me a lazy and cheapskate way of advert^H^H^H^H^H^H, sorry, having a meaningful relationship with customers, rather than developing their own piece of net real estate.

Brands that do facebook don't get my business unless they have the same functionality on their own sites.

7. Harry

"people were slightly more likely to leave praise ..."

Or more likely, the page hosts were very much "more than just slightly" likely to DELETE complaints than praise.

And on the facebook site I just looked at (no names, no pack drill) I notice that most of the people who have left positive comments are other members of the staff -- though you wouldn't know that as an ordinary user, unless you happened to know their names because they don't declare themselves as staff.

8. David 66

It's hard to complain on Facebook because you first have to "Like" the company you despise. It's the same with getting in touch with politicians that way.

9. BristolBachelor Gold badge

Is there a "Don't like" option, where you can see how many people aren't happy with <corporation> ?

Also from the emails / magazine articles I see about it, "Like" just means that you entered a raffle to win a <latest product> from said corporation.

10. Micktootingbec
    Unhappy

@Tiny Iota

Are they breaking any rules by making you join facebook to enter the competition?

1. Rob
      Go

I would have thought so...

... as it's forcing you to sign up with Facebook, this is the whole reason the 'No Purchase Nessecary' label was brought into play so as to not alienate anyone and make it fair and open to all.

(Hence why I'm constantly battling my manager who thinks everything needs to go on Facebook first and I'm always saying website first, that is and always will be our primary source of information).

1. TeeCee Gold badge
        WTF?

Ask your manager if he really thinks that the correlation between people who spend hours playing Farmville and people who have loads of cash to spend on your products is really that high...........

1. Rob
          Go

@TeeCee

Worse than that, as a local authority we have even more reason to make sure our info is on the website first. With nigh on 160,000 residents not all of them will have internet access and those that do will not all want to sign up to Facebook or even look at it. But what do I know, I'm just the monkey that pushes buttons, it's not like I've been working in this field for the last 15yrs.

11. Surgez

Not unlike newspapers and magazines then

People have had similar views about advertising on newspapers and magazines for quite some time.

Newspapers even had adverts to explain why advertising is necessary for the continued operation of the business.

Also important to note that all social media sites have some form of advertising. They just can't operate without that revenue. It is also important to note that if everyone used Adblockers, then these sites will not make money and will fold. So if you'd like your preferred site to survive, it can only do with you viewing an ad or two.

In the end, it's impossible to get away from advertising and regardless of the complaints about intrusive adverts, we will just accept them as normal as we did with newspapers and magazines.

1. Keep Refrigerated
      Mushroom

You mean those pop-up newspapers with sound chips?

One has to wonder, had it not been for all the flashy, noisy, pop-over, pop-under 'interactive' advertising banners in the first place, if things like Adblock would have come into existence?

Google seemed to have the right idea about ads, but by the time they came on the scene it was already too late.

Online advertising is akin to reading a newspaper that for every page has either one of those musical birthday card chips, or a phyisical pop-up model that covers the column you're trying to read, as you open the page. How long would it take for a physical newspaper to go out of business if it employed those techniques to it's advertising model?

Advertisers should have kept a leash on their enthusiasm to embrace new tech. They should have adapted the newspaper model to advertising and kept it discreet - now its blown back in their faces and there's no way I'm going to disable any of my ad/script blockers.

12. Bunker_Monkey
    Stop

CODEMASTERS!!!

I just want to go to the old website - not the redirect they now have to their awful community site on FB!!!

13. atomic jam
    Pint

Beer ads

I've got one ad that comes up about Smithwicks, It just reminds to stock the fridge because I like Smickwicks, I don't click on the ad in case it goes away. I once was leaving a message for someone that had the word "old" in it, and I then seen ads for stair lifts and those granny buggies (Which are cool) being advertiesed. for ads I don't want I remove them choosing the "sexually explicit" option. <unrelated> I need to update my hosts file too </unrelated>

Beer because that's what I like

14. Bernard M. Orwell

"No Purchase Neccesary"

This arose due to a requirement under UK gambling & gaming laws. If you create a game wherein a prize may be offered (known as an AWP or Amusement With Prizes model), then you have to be compliant with the gambling statutes.

If you say "No purchase neccessary" then you aren't asking for a payment in return for the chance of a prize and therefore you are not offering an AWP and no longer need to be compliant.

15. Sirius Lee

Irony

Thankfully all readers of El Reg don't mind brands pushing their stuff.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like