back to article Drag queening for the birds say Spanish boffins

Fetch out the sequins: Spanish biologists working in western France have explained a curious characteristic of a bird called the marsh harrier: some males “dress” as females in their permanent plumage to win chicks and territory. The boffins, led by Audrey Sternalski of the Instituto de Investigacion en Recursos Cingeticos in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

Optional

IT? Technology of any kind at all?

1. Thecowking

Science.

Not just technology. This is clearly science, biology probably, might be some sub-genre of the smellier sciences. (What do I know about squishy things? I'm a physicist.)

So while this might be short on microprocessors and the like, it's still well within the remit of the site, even without Bootnotes.

2. gerryg

It's a metaphor

for software patents masquerading as real technology, behaviours as patent trolls

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Clearly a social engineering situation.

2. Marvin the Martian
    Boffin

It's not that unusual in the animal kingdom; it's called the "sneaky f*cker" strategy.

For example in salmon, there can be a skinny un-masculine-looking male that will not be challenged to a fight: the local male thinks "that's another one in my harem! Hurrah!" and doesn't find out it's the one sneakily fertilizing his females...

Same with the side-blotched lizards with their famous rock-scissors-paper dynamics.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like