back to article Boffins: Punters can't get a grip on online privacy tools

Privacy tools that offer a means to prevent advertisers from tracking the activity of surfers online are largely ineffective, according to a study by computer scientists. Boffins at Carnegie Mellon University’s CyLab ran a series of lab tests involving 45 participants that revealed all nine privacy tools had usability and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Colin Millar
    FAIL

Way to miss the point

Sophos equates hidden tracking activities with loyalty cards?

How do you stop web tracking? No-one really knows - you probably can't eradicate it 100% without making the web useless.

How do you stop loyalty card tracking - don't use the card - 100% effective and simple.

I think the reg should be looking for a new regular expert commenter on security issues - sophos clearly isn't taking it seriously any more.

2. wilber
    FAIL

Extremely bad example

Chester Wisniewski is entirely incorrect in his comparison.

First, a loyalty card is 'opt in'. It is not forced on you, just to enter the store.

Second, it is 'opt out' every time you make a purchase as you can opt not to use it, on a per visit basis.

As well, a loyalty card does not track where someone goes after they have used it when making a purchase.

People want the choice to decide for themselves.

1. Keep Refrigerated
      Holmes

Further to your extremely bad example...

A Tesco loyalty card will only really track what I purchased whilst inside the Tesco store. If we were to use the analogy with online tracking... Tesco's loyalty card would be able to report back the shops I visited after leaving Tesco, what time I went home, as well as all my leisure activities such as when I went out again for a walk in the park or to read a newspaper in the local coffee shop.

Also occassionally when I walked back into a Tescos store all the signs and price labels would convert to Swedish as it detected the last visit I made, I made enroute through a doorway located in Sweden.

1. Evan Essence
        FAIL

Furthermore

I use a Tesco loyalty card registered to my mum. My mum gets the points, Tesco get some bum data: seems fair.

That doesn't work with online stalking.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like