back to article Consumer Reports: iPhone 4S antenna doesn't suck

The product testers at Consumer Reports have given the iPhone 4S a clean bill of health. "Apple's newest smart phone performed very well in our tests," CR's Mike Gikas said in a statement issued on Tuesday, "and while it closely resembles the iPhone 4 in appearance, it doesn't suffer the reception problem we found in its …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. LarsG

"It performed very well"...

BUT NOT "GREAT" OR "EXCEPTIONALLY WELL", just very well

Very well=ok

2. LarsG

CLEAN BILL OF HEALTH

Of course it has, it is after all just an updated 4, having had major recalls to put it right, though it took 3 years.

1. Joshua Murray
      Facepalm

I'm confused...

Recalls? They offered owners a free case, and provided firmware updates.

3 Years? The iPhone 4 was launched in June 2010.

I'm a very happy iPhone 4 owner with no plans to change in the near future (this is the longest I've owned a phone in a long time, if ever!)

2. Daniel 4

WTF?

You do realize that the obsessive haters are about an order of magnitude more annoying than fanbois, don't you?

I don't own one of these train wrecks (sorry, my wife does and I can't stand the antenna problems), but a quick check on "them their 'internets" shows that the iPhone 4 was released June 24, 2010. Seeing as this isn't quit the end of 2011, that makes for a less than 1.5 year turn around, not 3. I also don't recall any major recall beyond a (somewhat ugly) case thingy. As far as just being an updated 4... well, the clue is sort of in the name, isn't it? It's the iPhone /4s/, not the 5, or anything like that.

Really, if you're going to hate on a product, at least get your facts straight.

-d

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: CLEAN BILL OF HEALTH

Apart from the reports of crackles on calls, and echoes on audio, including video recording...

Oh dear...

Don't down vote the messenger!

3. JeffyPooh
    Pint

All fixed then...

So they added bits of wire to move the antennas' Hi-Z points inside? Great news. Good job.

Ah, too bad about the battery life.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

THERE IS NO BATTERY PROBLEM!!!

...we're just going to put out a software update that tells you that the battery has more juice. Then we'll fix it later. BUT THERE IS NO PROBLEM!!!

-an Apple publicist

Sent from my iPh

4. Chad H.

I disagree

I found it hard to replicate "Antennagate" on my old 4; but find it easier on the 4S.

It stilll requires me to hold the device in a silly way and intentionally cause it however.

5. Dr Patrick J R Harkin
    Trollface

Of course there's no problem with the antenna on the 4S

There was never a problem with the antenna on the 4. Apple told us so. It was a software thing, remember? The signal strength gauge wasn't showing the right number of blobs and would be fixed by an update.

6. Grease Monkey Silver badge

The thing the fanbois seem to be missing is that the 4 still has the problem. It hasn't gone away because the 4S has launched. Apple never fixed the problem they just ignored their own customers. And the customers being the suckers that they are put up with it and then forked out for a 4S.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like