back to article HP offers devs £130 32GB TouchPad tablets

Want a cheap HP TouchPad? The computer giant is offering "for a limited time" the 32GB version of its WebOS-based fondleslab for £130. The catch: you have to be a registered WebOS developer. The offer comes to an end on 18 November. Successful applicants are sent a voucher that entitles them to a TouchPad for £130 - €150 in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Cosmo
    Thumb Down

Too much information required

Unless I was doing something wrong, to get a developer account up and running needed all sorts of stuff such as company name, and national insurance information.

Not worth it for a Touchpad

2. Stephen 2

To apply for a voucher/coupon, it seems you need to email them. Anyone else know different?

1. Charles Calthrop

the link in the article goes to a page saying they are oversubscribed.

AFAIK its back to ebay / entertainment exchange

3. Peter Gordon

Not a stock clearance

"Perhaps HP doesn't care, and is simply trying to get rid of its few remaining stocks of TouchPads."

This theory doesn't make any sense at all. HP promised more TP's would be built, and they were. They had a backlog of orders for this second run, and most of these customers were sent away empty handed because HP didn't have enough stock.

If these TPs weren't reserved specifically for developers, why didn't they just allocate them to existing orders?

4. Ancient Oracle funkie

Quite frankly, I don't care! That is, I don't care how/why/who/etc. All I know is that I have a TP (yep! HP employee) and so I look forward to lots(?) of new apps.

1. HMB

Yeah, good luck with that.

As an app developer I wouldn't bother developing for a marginal platform that looks like it might go extinct, not when iOS and Android give me most of the market for the least effort.

Damn, I even have a touchpad myself!! Lovely device, shame the browser lacks features like remembering site passwords and has some HTML5 issues (older webkit branch?).

I am sorry to tell you, but I'm waiting excitedly for Cyanogen mod to port Android Ice Cream Sandwich to my Touchpad. I'm expecting that be Feb 2012 from what I've read on forums.

2. Keep Refrigerated
      Trollface

It all makes sense now!

"Quite frankly, I don't care! That is, I don't care how/why/who/etc.... yep! HP employee"

You weren't involved in any of HP's strategy meetings were you?

5. Peter Gordon

@ Ancient Oracle funkie

Oh, an HP employee? Any chance you can have a word with Meg and get her to reinstate webOS devices?

6. dciso
    Facepalm

UK Online Store Sold-Out

I've applied for a coupon but they are only valid to use on the hp online store which appears is sold out in the uk (h41112.www4.hp.com/promo/webos/uk/en/tablet/touchpad.html).

1. n317
      Facepalm

How annoying the UK store is sold out, could really do with getting my hands on one...

7. TedZeus
    Thumb Down

All gone

We would like to thank you for your interest in the TouchPad Developer Device Purchase Program. We currently have more requests for coupons than we have devices and will not be accepting any further requests.

8. oddie

did anyone get a response?

I managed to get off an email before they closed their applications, but no response yet... Has anyone heard back from them? Gonna download the tools over the weekend and give it a shot if they actually privide me with a slab :)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like