back to article Phone-hack scandal: Bloke cuffed in cop bung probe

A 48-year-old man was arrested at an address outside London this morning by Scotland Yard officers in connection with allegations of "inappropriate payments to police". The Met said in a short statement that the unnamed man was detained on suspicion of corruption as part of Operation Elveden. That probe, supervised by the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Thomas 18
    Thumb Down

In other news

A police officer has been charged with "inappropriate receipt of payments for confidential information" a crime with a maximum sentence of being politely asked to retire.

2. Pinkerton
    Unhappy

Dammit...

...Arse and bollocks. Piers Morgan is only 46.

3. Andus McCoatover
    Windows

Why do the police always have to have these "Operations"?

Are they sick, or something?

1. Anonymous Coward 101

The plod like their 'operations', but would rather they were called something badass like 'Operation Scimitar' or 'Operation Gomorrah'. That would make it sound like they were going to shoot up drug traffickers or something.

4. Oliver Mayes

Hang on a second...

"Inappropriate payments to police" is a crime, but what about the policemen who accepted the money? What's being done about them?

5. Z-Eden
    Big Brother

Hmmm. Anyone from the police been arrested or questioned for taking the dodgy payments? I don't recall seeing anything being mentioned.

6. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Childcatcher

Any officers will be suspended with pay...

...while the allegations against them are fully investigated, shredded, put into a box and burned.

Then they can come back from their last minute "Get away from it all" holiday in Majorca stress free and ready to get back to work with a clean slate.

7. Caesarius
    Coat

They said he "was in the process of being taken to a police station"? Does this take so long that they cannot be sure it is completed?

Mine's the one with the ... oh, no: that one doesn't go with my ... er ... on the other hand, it's a bit nippy out there ... yes, I'm coming! I'm coming! Be quiet and let me think! ... please take these cuffs off so that I can change my coat ... now take the cuffs off the coat stand ... you're not going to arrest me wearing that?! I can't be arrested wearing the same coat as you!

8. Roger Mew
    WTF?

Names

I am actually intrigued by the so called names, Weeting, Elveden, places close together in Norfolk. This police force also has been / should be investigated for .......

So why ARE they named after these villages, they are also not so far from Soham, nor Bury St Edmunds where filth was found on a police computer.

The intrigue thickens.

1. Cazzo Enorme

The British police deliberately give their operations meaningless but memorable names - British military do the same - so that the purpose of the operation isn't obvious. This means that even if the name of a large scale, secret operation leaks out, potential targets wont know that it's aimed at them. This is in contrast to US military, where operation names are typically some grandiose bollocks that give the game away.

1. Andus McCoatover
        Windows

But, US military...

...would surely would simply name it "Operation Afghanistan", then nuke Libya.

Bet no-one, not even Wikileaks'd guess that one.

Oh, wait. Manning's in the brig, so I guess the truth won't be outed....

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

> allegations of "inappropriate payments to police".

'Inappropriate' in this case means 'not enough'.....

1. mky
      Pint

possibly...

It could just mean it wasn't inappropriate, until it was reported.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Chuckling across the Water

"Cop Bung Probe" apparently means totally different things in the UK and the US. o.o

1. Oliver Mayes

No, it means exactly the same thing over here too.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dont be silly

Of course the Police officers accepting the payments wont be punished.

A good exampe outside the Met was a custody sergeant in Folkestone Kent who for years was bringing in booze and cigarrettes and selling them on to Police officers and CPS staff.

He was caught after six years and prosecuted and he had kept meticulous records of all his clients in the station and the CPS office, some of whom even paid by cheque!

The judge in the case called for an investigation of those who knowingly purchased the goods and unsurprisingly Kent Police swept the entire thing under the carpet and not a single person outside of the guy convicted recieved even words of advice!

So anyone expecting the plod to sacrfice its own for wrongdoing is going to be waiting a long long time.

This topic is closed for new posts.