back to article Moto rolls out Xoom 2 Android fondleslabs

Motorola officially announced its fondleslab followups today, launching the anticipated Xoom 2 and a smaller sibling, the Xoom 2 Media Edition. The Motorola Xoom 2 boasts a 10.1in display made from super-tough Corning Gorilla glass. It sports a 1.2GHz dual-core Texas Instruments OMAP 4430 processor running Android 3.2 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Alex Walsh

Price

When are these Android tablet makers going to learn that their devices need to be cheaper than the iPad2? If the smaller xoom2 is going to cost £344, I shudder to think what the full size one will cost.

They're making it very easy for Apple aren't they?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Article The Read, please rearrange

"£330 for the 8.2in model and £380 for the ten incher"

2. dotdavid
      Meh

Re: Price

Indeed. I took one look at the price and went "meh". I can't imagine many people getting excited about these things.

3. Jedit Silver badge

The prices are already there

The 10" model will cost £380, some £100 cheaper than the equivalent heilPad. So, not really making it easy for Apple.

1. Tony Smith, Editor, Reg Hardware (Written by Reg staff)

Re: The prices are already there

What, £380 is £100 less than £399?

2. Alex Walsh

My bad, since the article doesn't show on the same page as the comment box, and I didn't fancy multiple windows, I decided to go from memory.

The point still stands though, Honeycomb has been a complete balls up in terms of an OS, very little tablet specific support, so no clear price incentive (£20? Wow) isn't going to drive customers away from the iPad.

2. Richard Wharram
    Happy

8.2 inches

is more than enough tbh.

3. bolccg
    Meh

Serious question

You reckon those corners are to avoid an iPad look and feel lawsuit? I wouldn't be surprised tbh, given the vigour with which Apple have gone after Samsung. Might be delightfully ergonomic (or aesthetically pleasing tto some - didn't really like it myself) but a bit of a shame if so.

1. andreas koch
      Holmes

edge issue

Of course the edges are bevelled to avoid the iPad simile, but that is not all.

First requirement is, as you correctly guess, the look; it has to be sure to show that you have an inferior* product.

Secondly the price; people with enough self confidence to not be put off a product by post-preadolescent peer pressure must not have the advantage of getting a similar product for a lower price. The price has to be close enough to consider the right** product.

Thirdly the technical ability. A product must clearly lack essential*** technical specifications to make the potential buyer rectify his or her mistake and instead buy the product that offers them.

If a tablet or phone fails on any of these requirements, the distribution of the product needs to be stopped. The reason given to the court does not need to be a valid one; appearance, for example can be adjusted by software to make a clearly different looking product sufficiently similar to justify an injunction. Similar strategies can be applied to any potential breach of intellectual property. The aim is not necessarily to stop the product from being made; it just needs to be delayed until the non-compliant manufacturer looses interest in the market.

Easy, innit?

* that is, not an Apple product.

** read that as: an Apple product.

*** means something an Apple product has.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Appeasement and aquiesence

Look at the ridiculous and ugly angled corners Motorola have added to the tablet. Hmmm, I wonder why?

Yes Apple .... I'm looking at you.

1. Sean Baggaley 1
      FAIL

WHOOOSH!

That was the sound of Apple's point whizzing so far over your head, you'd have needed the Hubble Space Telescope to see it.

Apple take a *holistic* approach to product design. It's not *just* about the sodding tin and plastic, but about the bits and bytes too. Laypeople have never been able to tell what is "hardware" and what is "software". Nor, frankly, should they have to. I have no real clue exactly how the gearbox in my car works, but I'm more than capable of using one. Car mechanics look down upon me for *my* ignorance about cars, much as most of you would look down upon them for *their* ignorance about matters relating to IT.

The problem Apple have with Samsung's Tab is a perfect illustration: it's not just about the physical hardware, but about the *combination* of that hardware with such a blatant rip-off of iOS. Not even *Samsung's own lawyer* could spot the difference between an iPad and his client's product.

So, no, Motorola didn't *have* to make their device with weird-shaped corners. Their lawyers may have suggested it, but most major consumer electronics manufacturers know all about developing a company-wide design "language" that makes their products stand out.

Here's a clue to Samsung, Motorola, and their ilk: you can use colour and texture to differentiate your tablet devices. Tablets do NOT have to be black and silver.

THAT is Apple's point. Nobody's even TRYING to innovate; they're just being fucking lazy. Until these corporations start raising their game and actually *competing*, instead of copying, they deserve everything they get.

To be honest, I'm beginning to suspect that Apple's next major competitor will be a completely left-field entity. After all, nobody expect Apple to sucker-punch Nokia when the latter were at the top of their game in 2007. (Microsoft might be in with a chance too, if they can pull off their Windows 8 + Windows Phone 7 plans.)

1. dotdavid
        Trollface

@Sean

Wow, you practically bathe in the kool-aid don'tcha.

"The problem Apple have with Samsung's Tab is a perfect illustration: it's not just about the physical hardware, but about the *combination* of that hardware with such a blatant rip-off of iOS. Not even *Samsung's own lawyer* could spot the difference between an iPad and his client's product."

I wouldn't rely too much on the technical nous of lawyers.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

That's the point - doh

Apple sell "consumer products to consumers". They do not sell "gadgets to geeks".

Samsung's (and Apple's) lawyers are not geeks, nor do they need to be. They are however good examples of consumers.

Samsung copied because they were late to market and they thought they could get away with it.

The end result will be that APPL shift about 8bn worth of purchases to Samsung's competition. Nothing inside an iPad made by Samsung cannot be more than adequately sourced elsewhere. This is a giant face saving exercise by Samsung who have been caught, and cannot bring themselves to fess up and apologise. The CEO should get the bullet for this.

Hell, Samsung make great consumer products (I own 4 TVs and various other bits and pieces from them for starters). Go look at my new D8000 TV, great stuff and the design is not a rip-off from Sony or LG. Samsung know they are guilty and all this is just posturing. They should roll over, redesign their product and get on with delivering unique, quality consumer products. The losses in revenue/profit that will accrue from this posturing cannot possibly be recouped from Galaxy sales.

Personally I am glad APPL has done this. It will discourage others from copying, and that is as it should be!

Dweeb

5. Ale

Should be Xoom 1s

Not much of an improvement over the original Xoom.

Xoom 2 only has 16GB as opposed to 32 on the original.

The 20% hike in processor speed is not much, esp as the xoom 1 is easily rooted, and processor speeds of 1.5GHz are apparently not a problem.

It's a bit lighter, but 700g is not really a problem for me.

Not sure what else has been improved (gorilla glass?), and the xoom 1 32Gb wifi is currently available for about £320.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No Super High-Res Screen?

So no super high resolution screen, then? Oh well, looks like I won't be buying this. Comes down to the Transformer Prime or the Toshiba AT200 (probably not the latter due to Toshiba not giving it a release date).

7. Keep Refrigerated

Motorola seem to be learning by offering the original Xoom with an unlockable bootloader, will this one follow suit... however the inclusion of this "Motocast" cruft shows they still have a way to go.

8. Silverburn

3G option?

My 3G iPad has been surprisingly well used on 3G; is there a 3G option coming?

9. BitDr

Happy Xoom owner...

I have a Xoom, bought it last April just after release. It is a very functional device which is a pleasure to use and something I can write apps for without having to purchase another computer (Mac) on which to do the development work.

Honeycomb works well and unlike iOS every app on the device is not always on your table-top (you read the term here first), which leaves a nice uncluttered display with only the most frequently used application icons always visible. Less clutter = more focus.

Do I like Apple products? Yes, they are beautifully designed and well executed pieces. Would I purchase an Apple product? No. I disagree with their need for me to sign up to their online service (iTunes) and agree to a rather draconian 60+ page licence to do so. I disagree with their "we own and control the product you bought" attitude, and so I will never own an Apple from this era, but I do like them.

@Sean Baggaley 1; what was that line that Mr. Jobs was so fond of? Oh yes... "good artists copy, great artists steal". I think Android is as much a rip-off of iOS in the same way that the original Mac OS was a rip off of the Xerox Alto. There are subtle differences in the UI and major differences under the hood.

10. tmTM

competition

Archos G9 has an identical spec and under £300

Also the TI OMAP processor isn't working properly yet, it isn't clocking high enough - Archos have had to release their first batch of fondleslabs clocked down to 1Ghz because of the problem.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like