back to article LG seeks cash to save its smartphone biz

LG Electronics is planning to raise 1.0621 trillion won (£588m) in a shares issue so it can pour funds into core businesses like smartphones and take on new staff, its board said today. The 19 million new shares will be issued at 55,900 won (£30.96) each, a 9 per cent discount to their closing price on Thursday of 61,600 won …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. cloudgazer

I believe the phrase is Good Money After Bad.

2. Paul Shirley

looked more like fridges than phones

Some months ago LG dropped out of the top 10 install list for my giffgaff Android app, replaced by Samsung going head to head with HTC and the Orange San Francisco.

I always thought the LG devices looked more like white goods than sexy toys and low price obviously wasn't enough to overcome their fridge-freezer dullness. When the ZTE Blade(AKA San Francisco) showed a phone could look marginally sexy and still be cheap the game was up for LG.

Gone and barely remembered ;)

3. PeterM42
    Alert

I wouldn't put a penny into LG

They make CRAP phones and pouring all that money in would most likely be a complete waste, 'cos I (for one) AIN'T EVER going to buy another LG phone.

4. Toastan Buttar
    Unhappy

Good 'smartish' phones for tweens

For a couple of years LG made good cheap transitional phones between simple handsets and smartphones. My daughters loved the real QWERTY of the KS-360 and the resistive touch screen (with virtual QWERTY) of the GD510 'Pop'. Friends had the Cookie, etc.

Great battery life and very useful as a phone (I 'inherited' the Pop when one of them upgraded to an Orange San Fran). Not very fashionable, though. I think that cheap-ish middle market will disappear pronto.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like