back to article Google releases, quickly recalls native iOS Gmail app

Was it only yesterday that we told you that a native Gmail app was coming to iOS? Well, today it came – and today it left. "Earlier today we launched a new Gmail app for iOS," Googler Matthew Izatt wrote in a Tuesday blog post. "Unfortunately, it contained a bug which broke notifications and caused users to see an error …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

It actually looks like the web version, something only a mother could love.. But yeah the error messages make it even worse.

I'll stick with the system Mail app, thanks Google for making my decision easy.

1. Steve the Cynic

Which web version?

Does it look like the old Web version of gmail or the new one?

If it's like the new one, then it severely sucks, automatically and without the slightest possibility of redemption.

In case you hadn't noticed, I don't like the new version of the web interface to gmail. And Google, if you're listening, 500 characters isn't enough for me to give in-depth feedback on the steaming pile of (bad word) that is the new gmail interface. Seriously, where did half my contact list go? Oh, I see, there's a mouse-hover-sensitive self-hiding scrollbar. Which numbskull thought that was a good idea?

Sorry, needed to vent. Fortunately at the moment you can turn the new interface back off.

2. M man

this is the beta vêrsion yeah?

3. dotdavid
    Stop

Google misses

Google appear to be having a lot of misses nowadays. First the absolutely-awful Google Reader refresh, with its' bugs and poor design decisions, and then this?

Perhaps more money should be spent on QC.

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Wait to you see the new GMail UI

It makes the Reader re-design look stunning by comparison. Sad to say but Google seem to have lost the plot in UI terms.

4. Dan 55 Silver badge

It contained a bug [...] caused users to see an error message when first opening the app

Do they actually bother testing things at all?

5. Silver
    FAIL

Sloppy and lazy

Not only was it badly tested, but it was also sloppy, lazy and unpolished. To quote TheVerge:

"The app is basically just the Gmail web app with a wrapper around it and offline functionality, though it does have some nice tweaks like a left-side drawer that slides out to show labels and an easy way to attach photos from your camera roll. Of course, the bugs handily outnumber the features — you can't save an attachment from the app itself, it's often unresponsive, and the app doesn't yet index your device's address book. "

Personally I'd just stick with the native iOS client.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Good for them on removing it!

If only Microsoft would remove their buggy software and update it before releasing it properly!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like