back to article Nintendo pwns notion Wii was only for casual gaming

The Nintendo Wii is often associated with family entertainment and the softcore games market, but the firm's boss insists it wasn't the company's intentions to focus on casual gaming. In a Q&A with investors, Satoru Iwata insisted Nintendo would "keep pursuing 'gaming population expansion' as our fundamental goal for the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Words...

Nintendo can say what they like, but the proof is in the pudding. The Wii is full of shovelware casual titles. Any hardcore budget gamer will have sensibly paid half the price and bought a PS2 instead with better games.

2. Tim Brown 1
    Unhappy

Sadly...

... they gimped the original Wii with too little memory. I bought one 'serious' game for mine but gave up on it after a few sessions due to the incessant loading screens.

3. dotdavid
    Paris Hilton

Strategy

"Apparently, casual gamers were never the company's focus when it launched the Wii console."

I can believe that. A lot of Nintendo's efforts are misses or half-attempts (I mean, why no "DVD Channel" - purchasable or not - for the Wii? Homebrewers did it) so I can quite believe that they stumbled into the casual market completely by accident.

Question-mark-Paris icon because they should have asked her, she might have had more of a clue.

4. DrXym

A misunderstanding?

How many "hardcore" games has Nintendo actually released for the Wii?

In the West at least, from the minute it left the gate it has been predominantly casual titles and Nintendo led that charge. Wii Fitness, Wii Sports, Mario etc. There are a few hardcore titles on the Wii but not enough.

Various 3rd parties have also commented on how badly the hardcore stuff sold suggesting the people who bought a Wii weren't interested in it and Nintendo isn't doing enough to attract those sorts of gamers. I doubt the endemic piracy helped either. An undiscerning audience and piracy explain why the platform is mostly casual titles with many of them being shovelware.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Metroid Prime 3 was delayed for a year

It was supposed to be a release title.

I think the tone was sent with Wii Sports and Wii Play.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Stop

The tone was set with the controller. You cannot play serious games with the Wiimote.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

@Bullseyed

Depends what you mean by 'serious game'.

Metroid Prime, Resident Evil, House of the Dead, and Dead Space turned out quite nicely.

2. darkdog
      Stop

here we go...

so you put mario in the same bag as wii sports? you might be confusing "hardcore" with "make me feel manly" games. the Super Mario Galaxy are not casual. they're colorful, feature characters that appeal to children, but are hardcore platforming games. seriously, this "hardcore games = shooters" mentality annoys the hell out of me.

5. Sir Runcible Spoon

Sir

My main objection to the Wii for serious games is the motion controller.

Sure, you can stick a Gamecube pad on there, but a M$/Sony controller it is not.

I mean, I abandoned a Zelda game because of the control mechanism, something I thought would have been phsychologically impossible.

6. auburnman
    Thumb Down

Wii Timeline & Summary

Stupid name, worse graphics than competitor from previous generation (e.g. the original XBox.) Bought in mass because was cheap and had entertaining gimmick.

Imprecise motion control and piss-poor game interfaces dulled the shine.

Wii Fit put some sparkle back but games remained sub-par and irritating.

Now adorns lofts and cupboards across the world.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So if I read it right...

... Nintendo dominated the console sales market, outselling all the others added together and then some, for several years. Made a profit from day 1 on the hardware. And to top it off they did it by accident?

I'm more inclined to read the article almost as a "Look what we can do when we don't try" brag.

1. Cuddles

I think it's more...

"Look what we can occasionally do by accident when we're actually trying to do something else." For the Wii, that accident happened to be in their favour, but a look at their current financials and things like the mess of the 3DS it's pretty clear that's not always the case.

8. squilookle

I have a Wii and an XBox 360, and the Wii still gets alot of use. I would not be classed as a casual gamer. The games on the Wii I have played and enjoyed the most are Metroid, Zelda, Mario (New SMB, Mario All Stars and Mario Kart Wii), Golden Eye, No More Heroes 2, Sonic Colours, Tatsunoko Vs Capcom, Donkey Kong country Returns, and others that I can't think of off the top of my head.

It does have a lot of shovelware (consoles with large install bases do), and it does also have a lot of games for casual gamers, which is great. Like all consoles, it has it's advantages and disadvantages, good games and not so good games.

I find it complements the XBox nicely to give me a really good choice of games, and I believe that those who dismiss it because they think the Wii remote is a gimick, or because they think the console is not aimed at hardcore gamers are missing out.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No mention of Super Smash Bros, sorry, you're a baddie casual. The only hardcore game on the Wii is SSB.

1. squilookle
        Trollface

Haha. I have Super Smash Bros. :)

2. Jad
      Thumb Up

XKCD had a good take on this :)

http://xkcd.com/484/

9. sisk
    Facepalm

Eh?? O_o

They marketted the thing from the get go as a casual platform, they licensed mostly casual titles (with the notable exceptions of their own lines like Zelda and Metroid), they specced far below what most non-Nintendo hardcore games require... and now they say they weren't targetting casual gamers? Who do they think they're fooling?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like