back to article Dozens of chemical firms hit in espionage hack attack

Dozens of companies in the defense and chemical industries have been targeted in an industrial espionage campaign that steals confidential data from computers infected with malware, researchers from Symantec said. At least 29 companies involved in the research, development, and manufacture of chemicals and an additional 19 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Zippy the Pinhead
    Trollface

Couldn't be

This couldn't be a hack attempt from a certain large Country in Asia or a smaller one connected to it? No.. Couldn't be!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Who Dunnit?

I suppose China will be blamed, but I wonder if this sort of campaign, being so wide spread, is actually being perpetrated by a group which is neutral - just in it for the profit that they can make by selling the info on to whoever is willing to pay?

3. James Gibbons
    Pirate

BOFH Failure

My ISP disables all EXE downloads by default. Sounds like the BOFH didn't know what they were doing, but then again, I see many similar things at companies I visit.

1. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge
      Windows

some

people just need

"DO NOT OPEN ANY ATTATCHMENTS EVEN FROM PEOPLE YOU KNOW" tattooed on their eyeballs

and then they'll open brittney spears_naked.jpg .exe when its comes from a spoof email addy like gfuyfy55@yahoo.com.

Perhaps a walled off network could be provided for the dumb s**ts who do this all the..... ... . .. ohh cool someone just sent me Charlotte_church_with_her_t*ts_out.jpg brb

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yet another free advert for Symantec~1

Yet another free advert for Symantec and does this 'malware' run on any other Operating Systems except Windows?

5. Asgard
    Big Brother

I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop...

I keep seeing the FUD from both businesses and government about Cyber war (and obviously the security companies want a piece of the anti-Cyber war government money as the FUD gets ramped up), but I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop so to speak, when its used to justify forcing through more draconian measures on to all of us, the likes of which some of our government MPs have been keep calling for, over the past few years.

Its not as if we have to connect every computer to the Internet. If something is so secret or hazardous to expose it to the Internet, then why expose it to the Internet? Its not rocket science so to speak, every computer on the planet doesn't have to be on connected to the Internet. But then using some common sense wouldn't allow the FUD stories to keep flowing in the media, all allowing more strength to back up the government claims for their need for more draconian measures so they are happy to let the Cyber war stories build up plus the security companies smell money to be made from it all, so they are happy as well.

... I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop, when the governments show us what they want to do about it.

After all, we have the International Labour Organization highlighting today, fear of increased civil unrest in Europe + Increasingly people talking about the need for a European spring so to speak to deal with the corrupt MPs and banks + endless MP rhetoric about the need to regulate the Internet = ? its not hard to guess what politicians fear from the Internet and what they want. Its also easily to see how the so called Arab spring was fueled by the Internet's ability to help people undermine government liars and all politicians fear that kind of social movement.

So I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop, because its all slowly building to a crescendo. :(

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

FUDfest

Notice how it somehow always is "researchers" from IT "security" vendors who dish out (preciously few) scary specifics, and how it's government spook agencies that keep on warning about various threats, but always in general. The timing is also interesting, of course.

One point being that this is also an intelligence game and that so far the fearmongering is *working*. That means "we" can't dismiss what they're doing out of hand. Doesn't mean we have to agree, mind. But do take note, of just who is doing what.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Megaphone

Free Of Charge Action Plan

@Government: Fund Safe Operating Systems; Memory/Type Safe Programming Languages; Fund Full Mathematical Verification of a minimal Linux, Firefox and a PDF viewer; use Linux; create AppArmor profiles;Remove the Insecure A***e Crap

@Businesses: Remove the Insecure A***e Crap, replace by evince and HTML5; Use whitelisting for internet access; provide Social PCs to access employee webmail, facebook, youtube etc; use AppArmor profiles; use security consultants who know more than their employer's technology; keep software auto-patched; stop using standard STL library (without bounds checking) and plain pointers; spend serious money on capable security consultants and heed their advice; use Linux

@Private PC users: keep software auto-patched; don't run as Administrator; remove A***e crap software

8. John Miles
    Paris Hilton

Could it be

These companies are already protected(?) by something from "Symantec"

9. Big-nosed Pengie
    FAIL

There should be a law

against any company using Windows if they're doing anything more important than selling ice creams.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like