back to article Civil servants cough up more lost BlackBerrys

Further evidence of civil servants' apparent inability to hold onto their BlackBerrys emerged yesterday as ministers' revealed further losses of the smart devices. Gareth Thomas MP has been conducting a crusade to expose Whitehall losses of IT kit. Yesterday, it was the Scotland Office and Department of Communities and Local …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Rob Beard
    WTF?

Maybe they should make the folks who have these Blackberries and other bits of IT kit at least partially financially responsible if they go missing, such as paying an insurance excess of maybe £100 or something like that. Of course accidents happen and things will get lost or stolen but it might make the folks who are loosing phones etc a bit more cautious.

Rob

1. Jason 24

Don't be daft

That's a sensible idea

2. Fryerman

I can shed some light on why Civil Servants list so many Blackberrys: It's the standard issue phone in most dept. Of course, they may lose personal phones with equal ease, but there won't be figures on that.

3. randompunteruk
    FAIL

And when Labour were in power?

Interesting that the Labour MP Gareth Thomas should have specified post May 2010, coincidentally the start of the coalition government. I can only assume that the rate of loss of electronic devices by civil servants is not going to dramatically change the day after a general election. Is he perhaps going to use this data to criticise this government and quietly ignore any record under his own banner?

Do we also have a comparison with the rate of loss or theft of mobile devices, per person, per device, in the commercial or consumer markets?

4. Kubla Cant
    Big Brother

It's easy to lose a BlackBerry...

as long as you're not the person who had to pay for it.

What I want to know is how they apparently lost non-portable computers (presumably workstations, let's hope it's not servers). You need a pretty big sofa to fit one of those down the back.

Big Brother needs to watch more carefully.

5. BrownishMonstr

Is it possible to claim it's lost or nicked but then keep for themselves?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like