back to article Panasonic sniffs doom on the wind in telly market

Panasonic Corporation is now expecting to make a loss in its fiscal year 2012, after slurping Sanyo while dealing with falling consumer demand combined with a soaring yen to take its toll on the company. The Japanese firm says it now thinks pre-tax loss will be 430 billion yen (£3.44bn) instead of a pre-tax profit of 100 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Derichleau
    Thumb Down

It's not just the TVs though

What about their hard drive recorders with the advertising on the EPG? There has been a torrent of negative comments made about the advertising that displays whenever one views the TV guide, and it put me off buying one. I opted fur the Humax instead.

2. MJI Silver badge

Panasonic & Sanyo

This you could not have imagined in the mid 1980s. Both were major players in the video format war.

I still have a working Sanyo BetaHiFi VCR from that era, used it with an old Ondodgy box until the first Freeview PVRs appeared.

And this was my second best one - yes the other was the Sony 950

3. Sporkinum

Most have new already

With the change over to digital, a ton of people went out and bought new televisions. I think most of that demand has been met, and now you are trying to get people to upgrade. Since the economy is in sad shape, not a whole lot of demand available right now. Also, cheap bastards like me buy used TV's for next to nothing on the used market, either that or hold on the the old stuff that still gets the job done.

1. MrT
      Thumb Up

CRT FTW...

... the kids can bounce toys off them all day long. And those guys on YouTube impaling their LCD TVs with a Wii controller would have to have the world's best throwing arm to do the same with a CRT - the controller would probably fail first.

But in today's market, the controller is worth more...

4. All names Taken
    Paris Hilton

Que?

So the BRICK countries are in ascendency while Europe & USA are in doldrums.

Has anyone told Panasonic that there are newer and emerging markets in BRICK?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like