back to article Sony Ericsson Walkman W910i motion-controlled phone

Sony Ericsson takes moving to the music literally with its motion-sensor based “shake control” track-changing gadgetry. But there’s far more to the HSDPA 3G-enabled Walkman W910i phone than slick moves. The W910i's slick sliderphone design also nods firmly in the direction of Sony Ericsson’s W880i slimline candybar - reviewed …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. whitespacephil
    Thumb Up

ActiveSync email too

One of the most important business features of this phone is that it'll sync email, calendar and contacts to an Exchange server - with push email functionality too. I don't know why this isn't advertised more for both this device and the K850!

2. Darren Mansell
    Go

Its converted me from Nokia

Long ago I had the pleasure of using a Nokia 6210 as my main mobile for a couple of years then decided to have a look at what Sony Ericsson offered. I chose the T68i and regretted it every day until I could get rid of the nasty piece of crap. I couldn't get another Nokia quick enough.

Since then I've only used Nokia phones and I have been getting progressively more frustrated with them until I recently decided to take another look at Sony Ericsson with this phone. Its a breath of fresh air and made me realise how bad the current Nokia phones are.

I completely agree with all of this review, pretty much got it spot on. The motion sensing is actually very good and surprisingly accurate. Its a great party trick to give the phone to someone and ask them to try and play Marble Madness 3d then watch as they finally figure out they have to move the phone like a table.

Really nice phone.

3. Martin
    Happy

Just Ordered

Just ordered mine on the back of this review, better be good.....

4. Peter Casey
    Linux

Had mine since release day

Got mine as an upgrade from my w810i, and is a good phone, keypad can be a bit irritating sometimes, but you just need to get used to it.

Problem I found with the media player is that it can run a bit slow sometimes, and for some reason occasionally mine goes into 'standby' mode, a red light comes on the back and it wont turn back on (even though the screen is on (black) and the button lights come on) ... and the only way to get it back on is to take the battery out and start again.

Other than that, good bit of kit.

5. fluffy
    Thumb Up

Compares nicely with the W580i

I've had a W580i since it first came out (and it's certainly the best phone I've ever had - and I've gone through quite a few), and they sound like very comparable devices. The W910i looks a bit slimmer, and it has an additional camera, and HSDPA instead of EDGE, but otherwise they seem pretty much identical.

The only downside to the W580i is the same one mentioned regarding the W910i - the charge/headphone connector going on the side. I ended up getting some Bluetooth headphones to mitigate the nuisance of the headphone adaptor, and now I have only one device in my pocket where I used to have three (phone, iPod, and PDA); of course, my phone+PDA combination has been taken care of nicely by Sony Ericsson phones for quite some time.

Also, the shake-to-shuffle doesn't seem to actually do anything, but I'm actually a bit glad for that since I like listening to music with album-based playlists (generated by SyncTunes for OSX) and I'd hate for my music to get disrupted every time I have to run to cross the street or whatever.

6. Daniel

Life imitates art?

"A loud clatter of gunk music flooded through the Heart of Gold cabin as Zaphod searched the sub-etha radio wavebands for news of himself. The machine was rather difficult to operate. For years radios had been operated by means of pressing buttons and turning dials; then as the technology became more sophisticated the controls were made touch-sensitive — you merely had to brush the panels with your fingers; now all you had to do was wave your hand in the general direction of the components and hope. It saved a lot of muscular expenditure of course, but meant that you had to sit infuriatingly still if you wanted to keep listening to the same programme."

--from the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams

-daniel

7. Charles Manning
    Linux

Been shaking since about 1998

Compaq Itsy http://www.hpl.hp.com/techreports/Compaq-DEC/WRL-2000-3.pdf

8. Tigre Marino
    Thumb Down

N81 wannabe?

Without WiFi .... and a shake and bake sensor.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like