back to article Mozilla delivers Binged-up Firefox browser

Mozilla has released a customised version of Firefox that defaults to Microsoft's Bing. The customised Firefox, released yesterday, sets Bing as your default search engine in the search box. AwesomeBar will also set Bing.com as your home page. If Bing on Firefox is your thing, you can download it here. Existing Firefoxers can …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. MJI Silver badge

What about more modern model railways?

This is OK for tin plate enthisiasts, what about us scale modellers?

Wait - when did MS buy them?

2. hplasm
    Coat

MING!

It's Moziila Bing...

1. Mediocrates
      Coat

Oh, no! Not Ming the Merciless!

Where's Flash (drive) Gordon when you need him?

1. Fatman
        WTF?

RE: MING the merciless

Exactly what I had thought.

It is SO easy to picture Ballmer as `Ming the Merciless`.

The icon expresses my reaction to hearing of this `partnership`.

Maybe some clever type will find a YouTube clip of Flash Gordon, and superimpose Ballmer's face over that of Charles Middleton.

1. Mediocrates
          Windows

It's even easier to picture Steve B as the creature from Young Frankenstein

http://macenstein.com/default/2010/10/apple-costs-steve-ballmer-half-his-bonus/

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

To be honest, I'd prefer it in this version of (Adobe) Flash Gordon was killed and we sent the War Rocket AJAX to retrieve his body.

And for it to end right there.

3. squilookle

"Now Firefox users who are Bing enthusiasts can use Firefox with Bing to use the web the way they want without having to take extra steps to navigate or customise their settings to Bing."

Surely just selecting Bing from the list of search engines in the browser was less work than installing the browser again??

Also, is there any such thing as a "Bing enthusiast"? That sounds quite sad to me...

1. MJI Silver badge
      Pint

Bing Enthusiast

Common amoung the tin plate toy collectors

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Also, is there any such thing as a "Bing enthusiast"? That sounds quite sad to me..."

Better to be an enthusiast than a fanboi.

4. Chad H.
    Stop

Hold on a sec

There are Mozilla users that are Bing Enthusiasts?

Treason!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I have no loyalty to any company, that would just be stupid. I use Firefox because I like it better than IE or Opera and I use Bing because I like it better than Google. That could change at any time if something better comes along.

2. alexh2o
      Go

As odd as it sounds I am actually one of them! Been using Firefox since back when it was called Firebird. And recently decided to 'spread' my online useage, so end up doing about half my searches on Bing. I feel like a confused soul...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I only use Firefox these days for Firebug.

I still install every version of out habit, but Firefox has got fat and old like Mozilla and now needs to be rebooted into the sleak slender version that Firefox originally was... I was so happy with Firefox in it's early iterations, I even used Firebird and Phoenix (portable versions were great)

5. DrXym

Next thing we know

IE 10 will actually be a reskinned Firefox

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

IE 10 will be a reskinned Firefox

If only. Then it would run on XP and follow W3C standards.

6. Rob Beard
    Joke

"Now Firefox users who are Bing enthusiasts can use Firefox with Bing to use the web the way they want without having to take extra steps to navigate or customise their settings to Bing."

I'm sure all three of them will be pleased :-)

Rob

7. Wibble
    Thumb Down

Goodbye Firefox, we're leaving you today...

Firefox is great, but for some reason the current planners are determined to commit hari kari by constantly tinkering with things that aren't broken, but as a result break the bits that work well -- the addins.

Every little update looses more people.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Every little update looses more people."

Well, maybe they didn't actually like being tied-up, after all?

8. Inachu
    IT Angle

Meh........

Funny thing about these things that I noticed is that if my intranet is anything other than google then any intranet website visit gets messed up.

If I used LIVE! or the ask search then pretty much the computer is hosed.

Now only if they had the balls to only truly give an alternate search bar without messing up

communication with my intranet. I figure they do this as they want all relevant data to hoarding all key clicks. THey need to stop that and stick only with offering search and no other hidden crap they do not inform the end user of.

1. Colin Millar
      Boffin

Are you on something?

From what I could get out of that ramble it looks like you need to f8-reinstall and stop doing bad things with your pc.

1. Inachu
        IT Angle

Too bad for you

Too bad for you these are Clean OS installs and they aren't messed up with third party crap.

They work perfect with the intranet until LIVE! or ASK get installed. Sometimes yahoo messes it up also.

So far making Google as default search engine everythign works fine with no issues.

9. HMB

For those who love Microsoft and Firefox

I'm waiting for people to jump on that!

What next? Perhaps Samsung could work with Apple on porting iTunes to Android.

10. Sporkinum

M'ing the merciless!

Bing used to have a better data retention policy than Google. I don't know if that is still the case, but it is one reason why I mix things up and use Bing some times. I also find that Bing maps perform better than Google maps most of the time.

11. auburnman
    Thumb Down

I used to use Multimap.com, it was one of the few places on the web where I would go before checking out Google's offering. When Bing took them over their maps didn't display on (Chrome or Firefox, whichever I was using at the time) for about a month. Switched to Google maps and never looked back. Which I suppose says something about Microsoft's struggle to gain a foothold on the web, really - when you have users with the patience/attention spans trending towards zero and competitors ready to step up just a click away you cannot bodge it.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Don't use either

Ovi Maps is better than both, especially for planning routes and finding points of interest. It's basically the same thing as on Nokia's mobiles.

Just thought I'd share that.

12. Tom 13
    Windows

Bing!

Bang!

Badda-boom!

Bad badda-boom!

There was supposed to be an earth shattering Ka-Boom!

13. RollinPowell
    Pint

who hasn't thought, "I wish firefox was more like IE?"

great - next they can work on porting my favorite feature of IE9 - when you type IP:port in the Internet Exploder 9 URL field it gives you a Bing search result of IP:port unless you put http:// infront of it.

I'm sad now and need a beer...

14. dssf

Well, *I* won't be committing hara kiri over this, but...

I am laughing thinking about what interesting bedfellows this makes.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

I use Bing occasionally, when the GFWoC blocks Google; it is OK, but getting used to English after years of searching in Klingon is a pain.

16. Joe User
    Trollface

Steve Ballmer called

Said "You have something brown on the end of your nose."

17. Unicornpiss
    Devil

Choice is nice but...

Why would anyone willingly use Bing? It's just miserable compared to Google. It's sad that if I want to find a Technet article or tidbit of information on any of Microsoft's pages, that Google does a far superior job to Microsoft's own built in search engine. With Google I find relevant pages. With MS's search I retrieve 13,447 results that look like they were mostly chosen at random.

18. Andy Farley

I'm more...

of a Monica and Rachel fan.

19. TeeCee Gold badge
    Coat

"Mozilla signed a financial agreement......"

Bribed by a big Bing bung.......

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

bing?

Is rubbish, every time I try to use it and it throws up useless garbage I end up back at Google anyway.

21. Drew V.
    Linux

Sticking with Scroogle as my default and only search engine, thanks. I like to undermine the market leader by actively pirating from them. Also avoiding MS that way.

22. Nick Pettefar

It Really IS a Good Thing

Any strong competition against Google is a Good Thing. They need to keep on their toes. It might be a bit rubbish but it must be a constant thorn and irritation in Google's side and will hopefully spur them on to better things.

My Firefox has Scroogle as the search engine.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like