back to article Jurassic Park Ultimate Trilogy Blu-ray disc set

Fears that Blu-ray is facing early extinction seem woefully misplaced after experiencing the Jurassic Park trilogy on the format recently. Feature rich and re-engineered in 1080p hi-def with 7.1 lossless audio, this high resolution three disc set delivers T-Rific quality and hours of extras to tempt collectors and film fans to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Alexis Vallance

It still amazes me how the CGI dinosaurs from Jurassic Park (1993) look so much better than the crap ones on the BBC's dinosaur programmes.

1. NomNomNom

An argument for higher license fees if I ever saw one

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

No it isn't.

2. Paul Renault

Ack! Thbbft!

What a gawdawfful film the first one was!

How could anyone willingly pay money to see that dreck again and more?

I could list many plot annoyances of the film. Lemme just start with a few tired cliches and bad 'science' and tech:

1) older man with the younger attractive girlfriend;

2) said attractive girlfriend, a paleo-BOTANIST, look at the triceratops' tongue's booboo, and confidently asserts, sans biopsy, that it MUST be something she ate;

...oh, I can't go on. Too many bad memories. I'm getting flashbacks.

I have to go see Koyaanisqatsi a few times.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dinosaurs

Saw the HD advert for this, and have to say that for me, Jurassic Park is a film of an era that looks better in SD.

The SD grainyness hides the early CGI dinosaurs much better, HD just highlights the fact that they were added digitally.

1. Bunker_Monkey

Cinema

Well I was 16 when I saw this at the cinema.. And still in awe of its technical achievements today..

That is all.

4. Northern Fop
    Linux

To the haters

1) The science was, well, a bit crap. But it's a blockbuster movie, not a documentary, so I suggest you get over it. Go and see The Core for some *really* horrible, shout-at-the-telly stuff.

2) The first two film had some of the best sustained-tension set-pieces in a PG-rated film since Jaws. JP: The first T-Rex encounter; The kids in the kitchen (OMFG my heart rate has hit 160); Woman vs velociraptor at the power sub-station. JP2: The trailer home and the cliff; raptors in the long grass; raptors at the abandoned comms outpost.

3) Ok, you're right about the third film. And the bit in New York in JP 2.

Pengiun because they evolved from dinosaurs, *obviously*

5. Bryce Prewitt

Janusz Kaminski

Err, Janusz was DP on Schlindler's List and isn't credited anywhere regarding Jurassic Park. Am I misinterpreting what you wrote or?

6. Lockwood

Make the dinosaurs blink more.

The TRex shot at the same time.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I know this, it's unix!

And that cheesy 3D file system.

At least in the book the kids fumbled around trying stuff on a menu system to get the right things to work. Slightly more realistic.

Oh, and all IT people secretly want Nedrey to get away with it...

1. Piro Silver badge

Hold on a minute

Cheesy, it may be, but it was not fake.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fsn

8. JDX Gold badge

Prefer the book

Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton is a great book IMHO.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Good old t-Rex

I watched JP1 at the cinema as soon as it came out in 1993. The room was completely packed, many young children were present. When the T-Rex broke through the fence a few children started to be scared, and when it roared many of the children had to leave the room with their parents, several didn't come back in. I went back to watch it other three times in the following days, just for the T-Rex and the raptors in the kitchen scenes.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Spot on!

How movies used to be before, in the good old days! Before 4k and proper film was still being used....

None of this paranormal a-ct-....

(falls asleep)

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why does Father Ted spring to mind?

'And now Jurassic Park the directors cut with extra dinosaurs'

Just get one fillum and watch it 3 times

11. Robert E A Harvey

FIFTY QUID!?

For a film that's been on telly nearly as often as 'the great escape'?

Taking the p......

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

what about the CM-2?

Come on, we need to know whether the Connection Machine gets more screen time, otherwise the £50 just isn't worth it.

1. Shane Sturrock

Connection Machine

It was a CM-5, not a CM-2. I programmed on a relative of the CM-2 (the CM-200) and it didn't look like the CM-5 in the film, not that any of them were particularly quick. The CM-2 series was limited by using a SPARCstation to control execution so compiling code on the host actually slowed down execution on the CM-200. The CM-5 used SPARC2 CPUs so wasn't really all that powerful either. They only used it in the film because it looked pretty but Thinking Machines failed shortly afterwards because their machines were uncompetitive compared with cheaper machines like the MasPar. I ported my C* code from the CM-200 to MasPar's MPL and it was faster on a 1024 processor box than it was on the 16384 processor CM-200.

13. Jolyon Smith
    FAIL

Shoddy research even in a blu-ray review.... standards continue to slip

It wasn't DTS that made people familiar with LFE but Dolby Digital AC-3 (the ".1" in the "5.1" of AC-3 being the LFE track in Dolby Digital just as much as for DTS)

The DTS endowed JP LD was released in 1997, 2 years AFTER the first AC-3 encoded discs !!

DTS was also MUCH later to the party even on DVD, largely because of a clever move by Dolby to get their codec mandated as a standard with DTS relegated to optional status.

Better to leave detailed technical facts out of these sorts of reviews if you don't actually know (and can't be bothered to properly research) the facts you are (mis)representing.

14. Ron Christian

don't want all three

The first film was great. We had it on Laserdisc and watched it several times. The third was just ok. I prefer to believe the second movie does not exist. I can't see buying a boxed set of all three films, even though I don't currently have any of them on DVD, because I just couldn't bring myself to own the second film.

15. Nights_are_Long
    Happy

God I loved this film as a kid, the kitchen scene and the Raptors in general have left me with a irrational fear of them to this day oddly the day after I saw the film we went on a school trip to Liverpool museum and they at the time had two raptor fossils in a display, I turned round and there right behind me by about a foot was a rubber head of a raptor that sent me flying back in terror and making a fool of myself.

Still love the film though :)

16. Rich 30

Optional

I watched JP1 recently in the cinema. It is still awesome.

The Dino CGI is just brilliant, even 18 years later. And that music still wows me. Amazing.

17. Graham Bartlett

Dino CGI

Coincidentally, this summer we went to Dinoland in Norfolk. They have the original T Rex leg from the film there - the one which stomps into the mud in that iconic shot. Apparently there was also a full-sized pair of motorised T Rex legs, so that they could film through and around the running T Rex legs at the actors running away. But they never got that working properly, so it didn't make it into the film.

BTW, I can't recommend Dinoland highly enough if you're in the area and have kids. It's one of the best days out in Norfolk for the least money.

18. NomNomNom

The thing that annoyed me about the second one - the one with the van on the cliff - is that the main characters killed dozens of people through utter recklessness, yet they are made out to be the "heroes" or "victims" of the movie, the ones we are meant to sympathize with. Didn't they even bring a kid to the island for some reason? how reckless is that?

The hunters came with the right gear. Sure they came to capture dinosaurs, but they weren't recklessly endangering people's lives. They had a plan and a load of equipment to do so. My thinking is that they would have succeeded perhaps with no casualties if the "heroes" of the movie hadn't interfered.

Because what "heroes" decided to do was sabotage the hunters camp by releasing the caged dinosaurs. In particular a very large one. That alone could have killed many people, they were lucky that charging dinosaur didn't crush anyone (movie director made sure of that, would have been too obvious to the audience I guess that the cage release was wrong if anyone had died). All we got was a jeep exploding and tents destroyed. But it did destroy the hunter's communication equipment leaving them stranded.

Two of the "heroes" then compounded their negligence by taking the captured and injured T-Rex baby back to the van, jeopardising their own team - and in fact one of their team was killed as a consequence. He even tried to warn them of danger (before coming to try and help them) but they ignored his frantic phone calls (which is highly reckless in that kind of environment).

The "evil" hunters actually ended up rescuing the "heroes".

If you remember, after that, there was an entire journey across the island where hunters were picked off one by one by raptors and other beasts - that only happened because a) they all had to move across the island because the "heroes" had p***ed off the T-Rex mum and dad and b) they couldn't call for help because their caged dino-release act had destroyed the hunter's communication equipment and their reckless act of bringing the t-rex cub back to the van had ended up destroying their own.

So the deaths of dozens of men were very much on their hands.

Yet in the end they are made out to be nice people who were victims of a terrible ordeal. I can't remember which, if any, of the hunters survived, but if I was one of them in that situation I would definitely want the "heroes" of the movie prosecuted when I got home.

I don't know why this annoys me so much, it's the way the wrongdoing is so obvious yet the audience, script writers and move directors seem so oblivious to it.

This topic is closed for new posts.