back to article Dixons stores knock £150 off RIM PlayBook

PC World and Currys have knocked 150 quid off the price of RIM's BlackBerry PlayBook in a bid to encourage sales of the 7in tablet. Previously priced at £399, the 16GB PlayBook can now be had for £249. Likewise, the once £479 32GB model is now just £329. RIM BlackBerry PlayBook The cuts come just a few weeks after RIM …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. K
    Thumb Down

Hmm

Nope.. they're still fugly! knock it down another £150 and I'll buy one for my g/f. But I'd never personally have one.

2. Silverburn

Oooh

£250 for a flawed, non-3G 7"? Still to high IMO. I still anticipate seeing potential customers flocking to the Kindle.

< £200 + 3G + secure email. That'll be more interesting.

3. gautam
    FAIL

Who needs it?

When you need a BB phone to tether it to, to get anywhere? Where did they learn of this locking down?

4. Arrrggghh-otron

In this age of austerity blah blah blah...

...knock another £150 and I'll buy one for shits and giggles...

1. Arrrggghh-otron

I should have added...

As long as there is a Cyanogen mod for it!

5. James 51

If carphonewarehouse or phones4u drop the price on the contracts including playbooks that would help drive up demand.

6. Andy Roid McUser
    FAIL

not even at £99

Played with one for a week shortly after launch. Hated the interface and the enormous bezel around the edge. Just couldn't learn to love it. Went straight back to my Xoom as my work machine and the ipad for the house. Gave the playbook to some work mates to see if it was just me but they all returned it within an hour citing terms like 'hateful' and 'useless'. Any blackberry owners or people who bought one blind must have returned it to the shop as I can't find anyone who thinks this is a good device. Its true, people just want an ipad without knowing why but anything that requires you to rtfm upon opening is simply going to fail. Genuinely interested in the qnx v2.0 OS and android compatibility to see if that improves the experience.

7. Kevin7
    Stop

At this price it sounds like you're buying something on death row. The spectre of WebOS should be a warning to potential customers...

8. eSeM
    Thumb Down

No Sale

Still £150 overpriced!

9. Anonymous Coward 101
    FAIL

Surprised they hadn't cut the prices already

I imagine vast tracts of warehousing had to be rented just to store unsold Playbooks.

10. Pete the not so great
    Thumb Down

It'd have to be "free" (with a BB)

nothing to see here

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Get a Xoom

Best value 32Gb tablet at the moment.

12. RichyS
    FAIL

I assume that once they get cheap enough, Amazon can buy up the lot, reflash them, and call them the Fire 2. Product development with someone else paying for the R&D. Nice.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

drum up

my ass

14. James 51

i have wanted to try one of these but my local currys has never had one on display.

15. Sam Liddicott

can you?

But can you put android on it?

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hold out and they will be giving them away soon.

I'd pay the extra for the iPad, maybe consider the Amazon tablet or if the rumours are true we may see a smaller / cheaper iPad in the coming months (and RIM / others probably know / expect it as well so are trying to sell these turkey tablets before they won't be able to get even £99 for them).

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Get a Xoom - Best value 32Gb tablet at the moment."

No thanks - get an iPad = best tablet. I would rather buy an iPad that I expect will still be a great tablet in 2-3-4 years rather than an Android based 'copy' that ages so much quicker.

Android phones often cannot be upgraded - I have one sitting on my desk that is junk now as the operator will not update it as it's now end of life. At least my any year old iPhone 3GS has life left in it - runs iOS 5 just fine.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Apple

Knowing that Apple support software for life on their shiny hardware is tempting me to buy some old Apple hardware and install their latest OS, just to play aroud.

So, I could get an iPhone 3G from eBay and install iOS5? Cool. And Siri will work on it? Even cooler.

1. David
        Stop

No

You need a 3GS for iOS5 - a bog standard 3G won't take it. Plus SIRI is only available on the 4S. That's it's main selling point. You get everything else tho.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Hello !

It was me who posted the Xoom comment, I actually own an ipad2 and fortunately I didn't have to pay for it. I currently have it up for sale (32gb, wifi only, black, offers from idiots ?) so I can buy a Xoom which is a far more capable tablet and lets you use what ever media you want.

The ipad2 proves a fool and his money are easily parted.

Oh and supports for life ? Ask power PC mac owners if that is true.

1. Tony Smith, Editor, Reg Hardware (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Hello !

Plenty of third-party apps let you use whatever media you want on an iPad.

2. MikeyD85

Root

Is what you need sir. My old HTC Hero runs gingerbread really rather well these days.

3. WonkoTheSane
      Thumb Up

Get root

Root it & install CyanogenMod 7.

4. Morningstar

I just stuck MIUI on my HTC Desire, it runs better now than the day I got it. and it isn't difficult to do.

18. Joe Montana
    FAIL

Pointless...

iPad price tag...

Proprietary OS tied to RIM.

Requires a blackberry phone for some functions to work.

Hardly any apps.

Only 7"

Honestly, how did they ever expect this to fly? If you want to sell tablets, you have to offer comparable specs to Apple while undercutting them on price because Apple is seen as a premium brand...

People won't pay Rolex prices for a Casio, but they're quite happy to buy a Casio at sensible prices.

19. Rob Haswell
    Thumb Down

I love my Blackberry, and tried to grab a Touchpad for £100 (had a Pre 2 at the time), but I think £250 is too high for what is essentially just a toy. I'd probably splash £150 on one. But until someone can show me a genuine use for these devices, I'll never buy one at netbook prices.

20. Simon B
    Thumb Down

Nice thought, but still WAY too much for 7 inches!

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Root # Is what you need sir. My old HTC Hero runs gingerbread really rather well these days."

I'd rather not have to bother - at least an ageing 3GS can run iOS 5 now with no hassle.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

>I'd rather not have to bother - at least an ageing 3GS can run iOS 5 now with no hassle.

And of course thats all it can run (barely) because thats all Apple will allow. Running alternate ROM's is not something you are allowed to do (or alternate GUI's etc.). Still if you are happy in your pen then nothing I say will make any difference.

22. Blubster
    Unhappy

Still...

No sign of an integrated email client or calendar in the last update.

23. Youngdog
    Thumb Down

D-D-Dixons, Dixons....

A £150 bribe is probably just enough to get me through the door of one of these places. Unfortunately I d-d-don't want one.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oOwqdZzIkc

24. bazza Silver badge
    Happy

Actually...

Feeling crazy I went and bought one.

It's very good if you've already got a Blackberry. And quite a lot of people have got Blackberries.

The way messaging works if you bridge it to your Blackberry over bluetooth is quite impressive. Whatever you do on one is automatically mirrored on the other. All your contacts, email, blackberry messaging, wifi network details are magically shared. To achieve the same thing with iSomethings or Android involves a bandwidth hogging trip to a cloud. You can even see you phone's photographs on your playbook. There is the usual array of twitter and facebook clients too.

The browser is fab. Proper flash built in to so you get to see web pages as their designers intended. That goes a very long way to making up for the smallish app store. The OS does proper multitasking like it is a full desktop operating system. Impressive, and I'm sure I will find a use for that soon.

There are reports of people successfully putting the beta of the next OS on to playbooks. Amongst other things that gives you Android app compatibility, and hence *all* Android apps. Pay attention, that is going to make a playbook a very serious contender, especially for those who don't need built in 3g.

I've not found much evidence yet of things like magnetic compasses or full 6 axis accelerometers so sky viewing apps look to be off the cards for the moment.

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"It's very good if you've already got a Blackberry. And quite a lot of people have got Blackberries."

As long as you keep your Blackberry - can you imagine the toasting people on here would give Apple if you HAD to have an iPhone to use an iPad.

"And of course thats all it can run (barely) because thats all Apple will allow. Running alternate ROM's is not something you are allowed to do (or alternate GUI's etc.). Still if you are happy in your pen then nothing I say will make any difference."

You forget that 99% of people do not want to run an alternate ROM or reprogram their dishwasher or toaster - most people just want something that works well = iPad. If you want to tinker - buy your Playbook or HP tablet - go sit in your shed and have a good tink.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like