back to article Microsoft betting on ultrabooks to boost Windows growth

Microsoft has some interesting areas in which it hopes to profit in the future, and in a call with reporters and analysts after announcing its most recent financial results, Redmondian execs gave strong hints as to what’s worrying it now. While the business division saw strong sales, the Windows team reported two per cent …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Skype on Linux

.. is dire but has been improving. Will Microsoft use this opportunity to kill Skype on Linux for good?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Interesting to see...

It'll be interesting to see how things go here, MS is such a large organisation they end up with different areas focusing on different things. On the one hand you've got UNIX integration with SFU, Linux support for VMs and on the other they release a really quite good enterprise backup product that can't backup anything non-Windows (?!).

The upkeep or not or degree of upkeep of the Linux Skype client will probably say a lot about the current direction of MS.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wrong turn

"Microsoft betting on ultrabooks to boost Windows growth"

Why don't they just try improving Winblows?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Skype on Linux

I wonder whether they will take this opportunity to kill off Skype on Linux. Wouldn't surprise me if they did, it has always lagged behind.

4. Ilgaz
    Windows

They have a window of opportunity with Windows 8

If they manage to use Windows 8 as an excuse and say a word against the anarchic scheme of Windows development (everyone adding stuff to startup) and the need for very very advanced antiviruses their ultrabook strategy can work.

Otherwise I have used a true i7 quad core monster laptop which still struggled for the reasons above. It had absurd memory and SSD. Thing still struggles under load at startup since MS can't do anything against these abusive OEM companies. They really have to act like Apple on startup and shutdown. Perhaps even more like certifying things adding to startup without any meaningful scheme of disabling the checks. Even Sun/Oracle adds their little and needless process to startup now. Adobe does too and their rival who really doesn't understand Windows development (Apple) politely adds its maintenance/update tasks to system scheduler.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like