back to article Watchdog mauls Euro database of 'pirates'

The European Commission must explain in more detail the specifics of the operation of a database it plans to create that will hold personal data on suspected intellectual property (IP) rights infringers, an EU data protection watchdog has said. The European Data Protection Supervisor (EDPS) said that in order to comply with …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Scott Broukell
    Megaphone

<insert $var "title">

I had a huge database once, with almost everyones details on it - then I went and left it on a bus.

Kind of funny the way these databases are moved around by buses, or high speed underground links or even slower, common rail links. I wonder what will become of this instance.

Still, my details are safe - I've triple-shredded all the details of who I am and every scrap of evidence that I ever existed - so there, mega-politico-corps, I ... I ... nurse !, are you a nurse ? ..... is this what you call living in a machine ? ... ahhhg!

2. Claustral
    Headmaster

Higher peaks to peek at

That's peek with an ee not an ea, unless you're actually on top of the naughty list.

3. Andy B 1
    Headmaster

Who can 'peak'?

New heights of subeditorlessness. A spell check is not enough.

Rev. Andy

4. BristolBachelor Gold badge
    Joke

The RIAA don't need this database, they already have their own.

Suspected_pirates = all_internet_users + non_internet_users

5. Steve Brooks

So destroy on suspicion then?

"In May, the Commission announced plans to enable IP rights-holders and others to apply for customs action to seize and destroy goods suspected of being fake or unlicensed." I just can't help wondering, what happens if they destroy a bazzilion dollars worth of stuff, and find out afterwards that their suspicion of it being fake or unlicensed were not true? You can't destroy stuff on suspicion, that's like the US executing someone on suspicion (ok so maybe not the best example). You could sieze it on suspicion to check out its bona fides, then destroy it if its fake etc, or release it if you are wrong. A bit late if you have destroyed it already.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

legal slander (or is it libel?)

So they don't have enough evidence to prove the allegation in a criminal court so instead they will spread rumours that you are probably a criminal.

Un-fucking believable!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Utterly dreadful people

There's a really, really unhealthy slice of humanity that seems to delight in collating data on the "wrongdoings" of others for no obviously better reason than they seem to get off on it. They lurk in the corners throughout human history, emerging from under their rock when some regime exists that seem to value their particularly nasty worldview. Doesn't matter what the politics are; communist, capitalist, social democrat, tyranny, democracy or even bloody hippy commune, there's always some fucker who wants a list of "transgressors".

Be nice to turn the tables and compile a list of people who get their jollies making finger pointing lists and visit a bit of what usually ensues from compiling such lists on them, very publicly and somewhat more unpleasantly than the Golgafrincham solution - telephone sanitisers I can live with. There's enough of the bastards it would probably make for a good global event - perhaps a replacement for the Olympics; more interesting, useful and doubtless cheaper to run, since I reckon finding volunteers would be easy, and the world would be made a better place at a stroke.

What is wrong with these fuckers FFS?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Megaphone

every authority eventually...

... wants to make secret lists.

Looking back through history many individuals and groups that are now viewed by history as bad, started out with public support and gradually overstepped their remit, started making secret lists of people and eventually got far too much of a power complex going, often with horrendous results.

The EU is following history to the letter despite initially wanting and claiming to be for everyone's good.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

is it me or are comments broken?

If this one eventually shows up, I'll have to keep trying.

On the article, it appears that the EU don't know how to implement systems that comply with their own laws.

1. peter_dtm
      WTF?

well; what else do you expect; they can't even get their accountants to sign off on their accounts.

10. David 45

Comments

Yup, I saw no comments earlier, despite there apparently being some available. Just a blank. And, yes, sounds like it's the EU just being nosey for the sake of it. This sounds very dangerous and great hacker fodder, as we all know what happens to databases these days. Who watches the watchers?

11. DanceMan
    Coat

Nobody Expects.....

........the European Inquisition!

12. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

"Suspected IP rights infringers"?

So they haven't actually been convicted of anything. Guess I'll start a database of people I suspect are hamster rapists. George W Bush and Tony Blair will feature.

13. Sam Therapy
    Big Brother

And here's my list of suspected dog buggerers...

The Pope (any flavour)

Prince Philip

David Cameron

All other politicians and most civil servants

The bloke down the road

Of course, this is just a start. Feel free to add to it.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like