back to article BSkyB earns more dosh out of fewer new punters

BSkyB's number of customers signing up to its products fell from 96,000 new subscribers in the company's Q1 last year to 77,000 in the first quarter ended 30 September 2011 – despite that, both revenue and pre-tax profit climbed. The telco added more cash to its coffers courtesy of its existing customer base, which meant that …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Pete 2 Silver badge

Good plan

> greater average number of products taken by our customers

Show crappier programmes and more repeats on the basic package. Put all the "good"[1] content on the premium services. Persuade people that they really should be paying to watch BBC and ITV in HD - instead of getting it for free via terrestrial broadcasts. Finally push 3D TV like it's going out of fashion .... oh hang on, it is.

[1] Here "good" means slightly less awful, with not quite so many repeats

1. DrXym

Freesat

You can get BBC & ITV through Freesat HD. It's easy too. Cancel Sky, unplug the Sky box, buy a Freesat HD box and plug it in and setup. Done.

There aren't many HD channels it has to be said, but there are plenty of channels and the number is likely to expand further as Astra 1N, 2F, G & H appear.

2. <user />
    Stop

I'm still not adding on Sky Sports.

No to F1 on fucking Sky!

1. MJI Silver badge

£200 for RTL I worked out

New 1.2m dish, 2 LNBs, more cabling and a couple of DISEQC switches. Can't get two quads on my .65m dish.

Cheaper than SKy sports.

Pity it isn't HD though

2. Nev
      Thumb Up

F1 on Sky workaround...

Equipment: French TNTSat Box

Channel TF1

3. Oliver 7
    Stop

Sky subscribers

"the firm's average revenue per user (ARPU) figure grew from £514 in its first quarter 2010 results to £535"

Suckers! Until folk stop coughing up, they'll just keep on taking. Just say no!

1. Mark 65

I wonder if they get a boost from benefits being index linked? Just asking.

1. Oliver 7

Not far off the mark

I remember visiting a family in a high rise block in a shitty part of a shitty town. They had three kids, bare floors, a sofa, mattresses on the floor to sleep on and a fuck-off great telly with a Sky box, all told. Priorities eh?

4. hamsterjam

When I was a boy...

...I was told that the reason people paid for subscription television was that it didn't carry advertising. So to see a broadcaster claiming proudly northwards of UKP10 per week per head subscription revenue for programming that is 25% advertising (is that revenue included?) makes me feel very sorry for the consumers of the UK who clearly have absolutely no idea of how they are being rooked.

Amusingly enough, I read this week that in the UK the average person watches 40% more television than the average Dutch person. Given that watching UK television seems to be a never-ending succession of advertising for ambulance-chasers, loan sharks, hard liquor, and insurance, presumably the extra 40% of time is what is necessary to ingest the same amount of 'content' as the Dutch. Or maybe the Dutch have lives...

How Sky operates may be legal, it may be licensed and it may even be popular although who knows why.

But it is wrong. Doesn't that matter any more?

5. Golftechgamer

I note that all comments are negative to bskyb. As internet addicts it is not a surprise. Technology as 'we' know it has to be simpler for the masses. Bskyb serves a fuction, yet reaps a mighty tarrif.

6. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

The only savig grace is

that I don't get weekly mailshots from Sky extolling the virtues of their service. The sky ones come monthly.

Virgin.... on the otherhand bombard me with mailshots and flyers. Those that are addressed are to 'The Occupier' so I can't get them stopped. I've even tried sending a whole load of them back the sender in an unstamped envelope yet still they come.

I'd never buy Sky or Virgin. I wish that I could persuade both compamies to stop sending me this [redacted]. What TV I watch is on Freeview/FreeSat

1. This post has been deleted by its author

7. b166er

suck it up slugheads

8. handle
    Meh

Fuel poverty?

Never mind that - how about BSkyB poverty?

9. MJI Silver badge

How to annoy them

Insist on a Conditional Access Module

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like