back to article Sony names PlayStation Vita release day

Having already confessed that the PlayStation Vita won't hit the UK this year, Sony today said fanboys will have to wait until February 2012 for their next portable PlayStation fix. The PS Vita will go on sale on 22 February priced at the Sterling equivalent - give or take - of €250 (£219) for the Wi-Fi model (PCH-1003) and € …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Greg J Preece

WANT!

Been drooling over this since it was first announced. That said, I am still gobsmacked that it doesn't do video, at all. Also, it looks like, as with every console with a gimmick, all the first wave of titles are legally obligated to include as many touchscreen/shaking/rear touch/motion gimmicks as humanly possible. To my dismay, Super Stardust appears to be one of them.

"Crush asteroids with your finger." Riiiight, I could piss about doing that, or you could let me SHOOT THEM.

2. Ian Watkinson
    FAIL

So wonder how well it plays music, as good as an ipod touch? It's going to have to play games much much better than the touch, otherwise I can't see this getting off the ground.

Games for touch up to £7 most £1. Console Cost £199

Games for Vita most £32 Console £219

So given that it's not half the price, it better be twice as good...

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

LOL

DId you really just compare throwaway phone games to proper console games???

IDIOT ALERT...

1. Ian Watkinson
        FAIL

"proper console games"...

on a handheld..keep on drinking that sony cool-aid.

I had a psp, I really wanted there to be a decent game for it. There wasn't.

It was ok for watching videos on, a duty it's still ok at.

I suspect you've never played any of the better ios games.

Plus you seem to think that an ipod is a phone? Perhaps that's why you're confusing vita with a console.

Sony lost the console war to microsoft, ps3 lost to the xbox 360, their network was so bad, people prefer to pay microsoft than use it.

They've lost the handheld war to apple and nintendo, they just don't seem to realise it yet.

1. MJI Silver badge

Console war not over, as if it matters

PS3 and Xbox30 sales are similar despite 360 having a large time lead.

PSN works well enough I find.

Handheld - 2nd place is still very good, and games have you played Motorstorm Arctic Edge, any of the God of War games?

2. Greg J Preece

OK, you're a troll. You have to be. "The better iOS games." What, Infinity Blade? Don't make me piss myself.

I also have an original PSP, and while I admit the lineup wasn't as good as the PS2 itself, it beat the shit out of my DS, and continues to do so. Chains of Olympus was so good it's hard to tell it apart from GoW II.

And this?

"on a handheld..keep on drinking that sony cool-aid."

Perhaps you should go and take a look at the Vita demo videos. Yes, that is Uncharted. Yes, that is MGS4. No, those are not pre-rendered. Yes, these are announced releases.

3. 1Rafayal
          FAIL

@Ian Watkinson

You don't actually know what you are talking about really, do you?

iOS games are nothing compared to the games offered by a dedicated portable console. Note the use of the word console there - it is something an iOS device cannot lay claim to (that is, of course, until Apple wages another patent war).

The biggest difference between an iOS device and a portable console? Dedicated controls. Driving games on iOS devices, and Android devices are fun enough, but there is no way you can control the game in the same way a PSP or Vita.

To say there were no decent games on the PSP is just plain wrong, I can think of at least one - God of War. You know, they two games that have just been given an HD makeover for the PS3. Personally, I also rate Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops and Peace Walker as stand-out games for this device.

Sony has in no way at all lost the hand held war to Apple - they simply do not compete in the same arena (ignoring the Xperia Play). Furthermore, have they really lost out to Nintendo even? The DS and 3DS are completely different beasts when compared to the PSP. I would personally say they occupy the top spot jointly, based on the fact that they cater for different audiences.

Really, get a clue before spouting nonsense like this.

4. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Sony lost?

How so?

Sony have now outsold the dirtbox360 despire Microsoft rushing it out the door half baked 16 months before them....

Seems the dirtbox360 is creaking at the seams it's already due for a replacement 2012/2013. Microsoft short changing gamers as usual, with a short-lifecycle.

I'm guessing the Xbox360 will lose all support the moment the next Xbox ships, like Microsoft dumped on those stupid enough to buy the Original Xbox...

Anyone buying a 360 right now must be an idiot, as it's got 12 months life left in it at best.

2. Greg J Preece
      WTF?

"It's going to have to play games much much better than the touch, otherwise I can't see this getting off the ground."

....You're fucking kidding me, right?

Available for iPod Touch, which has no physical game controls: Angry Birds.

Available for the PSP2, which is a dedicated gaming machine: Metal Gear Solid IV.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> It's going to have to play games much much better than the touch

Can't tell if trolling or just stupid.

¬_¬

4. measmyself

iphone

iphone stuff are not good games, they are just annoyances. Cheap and repetitive

5. MJI Silver badge
      Facepalm

Games & Music

Music - well we all know that Apple products are not that good at sound quality (see reviews here).

Games - are you kidding?

Have you seen the release lineup?

It's launching with an Uncharted game! Can't do better than than!

6. Rob Beard
      Gimp

One word...

Uncharted.

Try the comparison when you can get Uncharted on the iPhone. Then I'll listen to you :-)

Rob

(For the record I'm not a Sony Fanboi, I have a PS3, Wii and XBOX 360, I'm just a big fan of Uncharted, although I wouldn't consider getting a Vita until the price came down a tad, but that's because I'm a cheapskate).

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"It has 512MB of Ram and 128KB of video Ram"

that would be 128MB of video RAM. (I know that there is chance I'll be the 10th one to point this out... but it is here just in case).

I don't know about other peoples opinion, but one of things I like about the launch games on the PSVita is.... most are made up of very good games that I would want to play. Plus the fact that it is regional free means I can import Japanese games as well (looking forward to "Dream 'C' Club Zero Portable").

The 3DS had a bad lineup of launch titles, and even though I bought mine 2 months after the release, there weren't that many interesting titles to go after. And the regional lock meant that I couldn't get my fix of Japanese imports.

call me a fanboi if you must, but I pre-ordered mine since June and looking forward to playing with it!

4. calagan
    Thumb Down

This is a lot of portable bang for the bucks, but the design (they should have gone for a slider, like the PSPGo) and the proprietary storage turned me away.

1. Greg J Preece

Don't agree on the slider, as the Go was a monumental failure, and partly because of its flat controls. But I agree on the storage - it was soooo nearly standard Micro SD, but they had to tweak it. Then again, this is kinda to be expected. Nintendo have *never* used a standard storage format, and Sony do have form for promoting storage options no-one wants.

1. squilookle

"Nintendo have *never* used a standard storage forma"

My Wii and DSi both take standard SD cards...

1. Greg J Preece

I meant for handheld games (and console games right up to the Cubes). They're all carts, and the only reason the Wii has an SD slot is because they were too cheap to give it any internal memory, so it's basically "insert missing drive here".

Yes, I do own a Wii. And a DS, And a DS Lite. And they all *suck*.

1. squilookle

I misunderstood you there and do apologise for that.

I agree that the lack of internal memory in the Wii is an issue, as mine has been nearly full for a long time . Despite that, I find both the Wii and the DSi do exactly what they are meant to do and I am quite happy with them (alongside an XBox 360).

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Worth waiting for...

As always, you can't rush quality. Look at the mess Microsoft made with Xbox by rushing crap out the door...

From my understanding, the Vita and PS3 share the same SDK and tools, and it's very simply to port games between the two.

I also heard from a developer on the inside, of some really cool interoperability between PS3 and Vita, like continuing games on the move via cloud game saves, dual format releases (PS3 and Vita version). The location based gaming stuff also looks REALLY good...

1. Jelliphiish
      Joke

you are The Sony Phanboi and i claim my five clams.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

22nd of feb? f--- that s--- Yahoo Japan here I come (well when it's released) and preferably with an awesome Vita case.

Though I only want it for the name and persona 4

7. 1Rafayal
    FAIL

@Ian Watkinson

Seriously, comparing the various generations of the iPod Touch to a PS Vita? Do you understand what the Vita is when compared to the iPod Touch?

Looks like you might not, so just for you:

The iPod Touch is a touch screen media player.

The PS Vita is a touch screen portable video games device.

You may also note that the Vita has more cores than most of the Touch(es) do.

it would seem to me that you are basing your opinion of how successful this device will be based on its ability to play MP3.

8. MJI Silver badge

Want this

And I am not a huge fan of handhelds - except while I was in hospital and spent hours playing Motorstorm Arctic Edge borrowed my childrens PSP)

This however - it is a must have.

9. David Webb

I want this more than I want to find Keria Knightly in my bed begging me to come to her. Ok maybe not that much. Whats the odds that some bright spark figures out how to boot Android on it from a memory stick?

1. sT0rNG b4R3 duRiD
      Thumb Up

I like your imagination... but...

+1 : Keira Knightley

-1 : Actually considering, even for a moment, if a vita and Ms. Knightley were in the same league..

+1 : Hacked bootloader

-1 : booting android.

Eh, get your priorities right, my man! :P

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sony fan bois

It's amazing how many sony fan bois this seems to have drawn out of their basement dwellings.

They can name one game on another platform and say it's not good, but they are convinced all the games that aren't released yet for this platform are better.

Millions of game sales put you on the wrong end of this argument.

1. David Webb

Which end of the argument are you referring to? Fan's can name excellent games no matter what platform is involved, I have games I love on my Wii (Rune Factory), my DS (Phoenix Wright), my PSP (Wipeout, Innocent Life), my PS2 (Suikoden, Wild Arms), my PS3 (Uncharted) and my Xbox 360 (Fable, Halo), I also enjoyed playing Angry Birds on my tablet though all in all games on my PC beats them all hands down.

If you are comparing games on phones/tablets to games on handheld consoles then you have no idea what you're on about pretty much. Consoles get AAA titles with budgets in the millions, phones and tablets get the sort of games you can play through your browser or on facebook, can't say I'd object to being able to play Wipeout on facebook mind you.

You cannot compare a dedicated system with a "it'll do it I guess" system, the iThings are not designed for gaming, they lack certain things like "proper controls", their games are the sort that you play on the train, or when waiting for a train or when a real console isn't available. You want to play Angry Birds, no problem, I'll fire up Oblivion or (soon) Skyrim and when you're bored after 15 minutes I'll not even have started to get into my stride.

1. Greg J Preece

THIS

I cannot agree with Mr Webb more. I own a terrifying number of consoles, including at least one revision of every Nintendo machine ever made, but I keep coming back to the Sony machines because they get a lot of things right. Not everything, but a lot of things.

2. Daniel B.
      FAIL

who U calling fanboi, iFanboi?

Both the DS and PSP mobile console lines have been chugging along pretty well. Detractors saying that the 3DS lackluster reception spells DOOOOOM to Nintendo and Sony are ignoring the fact that the DSi has sold pretty well, and that one came after the release of the Jesus Phone; the PSP has been selling pretty well during all this time.

Also, some of the titles are PS3 ports (like MGS4) or based on already bestselling titles like Uncharted or God of War, so it isn't like the roster is full of unknown games. It also helps that the big iOS games are also on the PS3/PSP (Angry Birds, Plants vs. Zombies). Even buying an iToy doesn't exclude someone from having a portable gaming console! Same argument was given with the Wii when the truth was that most people buying a Wii were actually outside the traditional "gamer" market. Sony and MS are still selling consoles.

"Millions of game sales put you on the wrong end of this argument." Millions of Big Macs are sold daily. Does that make them the best burgers in the world? Nope. They're cheaper, so they sell more.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Poor design.

I'm concerned I'll get ear wax on the right thumb stick when making phone calls :(

12. jai

to be honest...

I would love to dismiss this, saying that in these days of iOS and Android gaming, there's little place for a dedicated gaming machine.

But I know full well that as soon as there's a GTA game released specifically for the Vita and not available on the PS3, then I'll be buying this. So I'd better start saving up I guess...

13. jamie 5

penny arcade said it all

when the 3ds had been out a few months:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2011/8/1/

I'd love for the Vita to be a smash, I have a PSP-1000 gathering dust in a drawer. But Apple stole the market whilst Nintendo and Sony were smoking crack in a whorehouse together.

1. Daniel B.
      Happy

The 3DS was a lackluster because people don't give a flying fudge for 3D, and aren't going to pay the 3D tax optiong for a DSi or PSP instead.

PS Vita might actually have a good chance among gamers.

1. MJI Silver badge

3DS not that wanted

My children have a couple of DSs they use them a lot, along with their PSP.

3DS, no real interest, But Vita - they are clamouring for one.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And we all know that Sony will restrict imports into the UK like the jackasses that they are.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm counting the days...

I'm counting the days... until Sony decides to start removing functionality from the device.

1. sT0rNG b4R3 duRiD
      Thumb Up

^ this

The bastards...

But I have to admit... It's perked my interest and I'm not, as some of you well know, one of Sony's more rabid fanbois.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

soon as its rooted

i'll buy one to deprive sony of income.....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like