back to article Dell ditches EMC after 10 years

Dell has officially stopped reselling EMC kit and will instead push its own storage kit. Let battle be joined. This means Dell will not sell Dell-branded EMC OEM and resold EMC CLARiiON, Celerra, Data Domain and VNX products. However, Dell will support existing customers with these products. It will resell capacity upgrades ( …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Dell will continue to support existing customers"

will they, bollocks! I just got the standard response to a unix-related storage query from Dell regarding an EMC problem, "we don't support [Unix brand]".

Er, turkeys, you support the EMC Arrays which support connectivity to the [Unix Brand] Server; show me its not your crapware Powerpath driver thats messing up my clean [Unix brand] System!

Never get EMC kit from a reseller, you will end up banging your head against a brick wall talking to support staff who would fail the Turing test!

Thanks zark I am out of here in 50 weeks.

1. Levente Szileszky
      Stop

RE: "Dell will continue to support existing customers"

"Never get EMC kit *AT ALL*, you will end up banging your head against a brick wall"

T,FTFY

2. Mondo the Magnificent

The real reason..

..I believe is Dell's acquisition of Compellent earlier this year. They now have a Dell branded FC product in their portfolio. Compellent goes way beyond being just "FC connected block storage" but it fills the void that EMC filled within Dell's product portfolio.

3. M. B.

Posting to say...

I'm quite fond of our EqualLogic kit. Will be interesting to see what happens with Compellent and Force 10 on the high end of the storage offering.

4. Levente Szileszky
    Alert

NAS offerings are still pretty basic...

...as you can only choose which rigid path you will follow:

1. You get an EqualLogic FS7500 which is very well integrated but data tiering only works within EQL, no tiering to Compellent or any other external box whatsoever

2. You get a more expensive, faster etc Compellent setup which means more of the same: it only manages things inside, does not auto-tier with any EQL or external box although at least they offer Windows Storage Server 2008 R2-based NAS heads so at least you can utilize your existing boxes...

3. You simply get NX3000-series NAS boxes running Windows Storage Server 2008 (Vista-codebase, non-R2!) and hook up whatever you want, you can even get it in clustered HA flavor - but being a generic Windows server there is no tiering whatsoever, nothing, nada, nil.

So if you want the best of both worlds, to leverage EQL for huge capacity, simple-management iSCSI boxes (PS6510E) and Compellent for faster, auto-tiering, live volume and all the other magic they do, you're out of luck, period.

Dell really needs to get their integration efforts going: in January it's going to be a year since they've bought Compellent, they really need to show something. Even if they have nothing to show at least announce a roadmap that comes with dates ie when will all these disparate systems be able to seamlessly push data back and forth, without me logging in and doing it myself...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like