back to article Intel pitches stalking smartphones

Intel CTO Justin Rattner wants your phone to follow your every move, know where you want to go and what you do when you get there and basically fling at you a non-stop stream of information relevant to what's going on in your life. Rattner's second keynote at the European Research and Innovation Conference (ERIC) in Ireland …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tim Greenwood

Holy Shit !

That's just plain scary. I can see that these things are possible but whether they are desirable is a different matter.

Maybe I am just getting old and out of touch with the modern world, but I want to live my own life on my terms, not as suggested/dictated by a digital overlord.

2. James 51
    Big Brother

Not sure if I should put rise of the machines or big brother symbol on but going for big brother. This seems like a bad idea all round.

3. bill 20
    Big Brother

Hey Intel...

No thanks.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No, No and a Million Zillion times

No.

Anon.... Well, I'm sure you know why.

5. Mondo the Magnificent
    Devil

Annoying

Now that is one annoying woman in the video

If I had a contextually aware phone, I'd expect it to hear her annoying voice, find me a nearby sock sale, then I'd go buy a pair of thick woollen socks and shove one into her mouth!

That way she'd be contextually muted..

Bliss...

6. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Unhappy

Spooky... in the extreme!

7. Suburban Inmate
    Childcatcher

Some years from now...

"Back in the old days, kiddo, we had none of your context-aware global-cloudbase federal oracle connected nonsense. We had whatever-the-fuck-we-told-it-aware technology! And bloody grateful we were too..."

8. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

The day this become the "norm" for all phones...

...is the LAST day I own a cell phone.

1. Keris

Ditto. Well, I might keep mine until it no longer works on the new system (it's a Nokia 6310i, it makes (and very occasionally receives) calls and sends and receives text, that's all I want it to do, everything else (Bluetooth, WAP) I've disabled). I have it turned off when not in use (which is why I rarely receive calls on it), and because I work in the industry I've tested it and know that when it is turned off it doesn't transmit anything. It doesn't have GPS etc.

As far as 'smartphones' are concerned, if one is required to send me something they'll just be told that I can loive without whatever it is, thae same as I do with most web pages requiring JavaScript and Flash and the like.

9. E 2

That's not a smart phone

That's a spy phone

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Enough is enough

This advert in your face crap has got to stop. In North America we have the highest wireless and wired data cost rates in the world. Now they want us to pay for the service thats going to track us and shove more unwanted adverts in our faces? Marketing has gone too far, it drains the economy and removes our privacy all so some fat cats can get richer from where we go and what we do. When I want to find something I'll go looking for it myself thank you. We should all start billing our providers for adverts we never requested, especially on phones.

11. pip25
    FAIL

The fact that the ad attempts to present this as positive is simply sad. And scary.

You know, the people who really know that much about me to do such "mind-reading" are my close family and friends. No matter how "don't be evil" an IT company will be in the future, there is no way I would count them into the above groups. So Intel, please don't pretend that you are my best buddy. It's unbecoming.

Being "context-aware" is good - the bloody phone deciding what do on its own without me telling it to do so (by pushing a search button, yes, the horror) is bad. I want CONTROL over my equipment. When I wish to look for cheap shoe stores nearby, I will be sure to notify you first, dear ad brokers - if I want to.

12. asdf

hmm Intel eh?

Much ado about nothing. As long as its only Intel that wants this then it might be in our desktops but not on our phones (lmao@Atom). If ARM's CEO agrees then we can worry.

13. Hud Dunlap
    Big Brother

I felt sorry for the dog.

From a technology standpoint it is really cool. But I like my privacy too much to ever use it. If the phone knows what I am doing then other people will too. Since the courts have recently ruled that police don't need a warrant to get GPS data then I am sure they can just tap into you calender at will.

BB of course

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like