back to article Back to the Future DeLorean to go under the hammer

Doc Brown may have used his tool kit on the car many a time, but the DeLorean from Back to the Future is now going under a different kind of hammer. The time-travelling vehicle is up for auction later this year, wealthy fans of the film series will be excited to know. While seven cars were used over the course of the trilogy, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Silverburn
    Joke

I can't help thinking...

...that a Delorean that could actually time travel would net a much higher price...

1. stucs201
      Coat

It *can* time-travel

It goes forward at a rate of 1 year per year. Its reverse gear is broken though.

(Mine is the one with the sports almanac in the pocket)

2. annodomini2

Going forwards has already been done, albeit by a very small amount (picoseconds, possibly nanoseconds)

And relative to going backwards is easy.

2. Lee Dowling Silver badge

Does it work?

I have one question... does it drive? I mean, how cool would it be to pull up outside your local fish & chip shop in that car, wearing a white coat and with electric-shock hair, and placing an order for "That 'cod and chips' that you did so well when I was a kid, please".

Dry ice optional.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I've seen at least one clone in the UK. People have bought old Delorean cars, stuck a load of silver spray-painted model kit bits to the bonnet and driven them to conventions and such like. Much like people by old Robin Reliants, spray them yellow and slap on the Trotter's Independent trading decals, make some pocket money showing them at conventions and school fetes.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I saw one going the other way on the M4 near Reading a few years back.

I still maintain they should by law be allowed to reach 88mph

3. Mondo the Magnificent
    Thumb Up

BTTF Mobile

Very nice and it's the version with the improvised "circuit" on the bonnet and retro wheel set, this just makes it more desirable.

I wonder if you get the train wheels that were used at the end of BTTF 3 too?

Admittedly the BTTF DeLoreans have to be one of the most iconic movie cars, right up there with the "Bullet" Mustang, [original] Batmobile, Mad Max Ford Falcon XB "Interceptor", Herbie and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang to name just a few of the most iconic movie mobiles

As most care lovers know, the DeLoreans were horribly unreliable and underpowered too. BTTF made the DeLorian "cool" and the Flux Capacitor and wind up alarm clock additions absolutely made us forget the just how pants the original cars were

It's good to know that some of the BTTF DeLoreans are still in good hands after all these years and hopefully the BTTF 3 version will end up in a collection being cherished as it so rightfully should be..

Thanks El Reg for helping us oldies keep track of our four wheeled icons..

1. Sporkinum

The Delorean was under powered, however, If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits eighty-eight miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

underpowered...

didnt the film ones have the porshe engine?

1. annodomini2

Not that I can find, but the one that does the off road bits in BTTF3 supposedly has a VW Beetle Buggy "off road" chassis, so this may have been fitted with a porker lump.

4. Geoff Johnson

plenty of time to get saving

No problem there. Just bid an absolute stack of cash from your savings account, then use the car to go back and deposit a small amount in the account. Maybe a few lottery tickets too.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

GASP!

You stole that idea from me when I mentioned it down at the pub next week!

1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge
        Unhappy

I think Douglas Adams beat you to it.

1. Tom 13

And Cheapass Games converted it

to a board game ages ago.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dish

Was that amount of dish customary in 1955 or did the Doc get his rims reversed before applying that fetching shade of brown and those whitewalls? Perhaps he was having calliper interference problems. It must have been tricky finding any wheels at all with a metric stud pattern in the US back then.

After going to all that trouble he could have chopped an inch or two out of the springs at the same time. :-/

6. Herby

What I remember about this movie

Is the mis-pronouncement of the word "Gigawatt". It ruined it for almost all time.

Now where is my Mr. Nuclear?

1. stucs201
      Headmaster

So you object to the how they pronounced Gigawatt, then proceed to completly mis-spell fusion as n-u-c-l-e-a-r.

Then there's the small detail that the pronounciation used in the film is actually not only acceptable, but the officially prefered version.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gigawatt

http://lamar.colostate.edu/~hillger/si-prefixes.html

1. stucs201
        Facepalm

oopsy

Seems I had the odd gramatical error in my pendant post. Oops.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Headmaster

Did you mean "pedant post"?

Might be time to stop ;)

1. stucs201
            Facepalm

re: time to stop

I think you're correct.

Unless you know where I can buy a time-machine and go back an correct the mistakes before anyone sees them...

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Silverburn
              Happy

Skitts law...

...in full effect.

Kudos!

2. Anonymous Coward
        FAIL

Only on BTTF

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/04/08/you-say-gigawatt-i-say-jigowatt/

No, the soft 'j' sound was a mistake in the script and has entered US folklore ever since.

Here in the US and Canada, we say gigawatt with a hard 'g' as in dog and gigabyte.

I have only ever heard the soft 'j' sound in BTTF.

1. stucs201
          FAIL

Not only in BTTF

Also in *the dictionary* - try following those links I gave. Just because most people say it wrong doesn't mean BTTF wasn't actually correct.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

ENGLISH dictionary or it doesn't count. We say giga- with a hard "g" (y'know, like it's spelt) this side of the pond too.

1. stucs201

re: English dictionary

I'd normally agree, but I believe the film was set in America :)

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
                Joke

stop this sketch

it's getting silly

The Rt Hon. Major Smyth-DeVere-Charteris, in a sauce of green herbs

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

If you're going to be a pedant

It was a Mr. Fusion.

7. Valerion

For Sale: 2 Children

Or will swap for Back To The Future DeLorean.

8. Mage Silver badge
    Terminator

Unfortunately

The DMC DeLoran is a rubbish sports car:

Fibre glass body with thin easily dented stainless steel skin that also parts company.

Underpowered.

The whole exercise was a scam on the British taxpayer. I was there at the time and remember the mad amount of money he got because he claimed it would create loads of jobs in West Belfast. It never got anywhere near the target.

Nice comedy film.

1. stucs201

It doesn't matter if its a rubbish underpowered sports car

As long as it'll get to 88mph it'll do the job.

9. Nights_are_Long
    Coat

Is it complete? I mean I don't want to drive a car with a iffy clutch AND missing it's Flux capacitor that would just be unsafe...

Mines the one with the chrono-sphere in the pocket.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I want.... I want... I want...

Not bothered about the Hover Boards, but I do want the car and the copy of Gray's Almanac.

If only I was half of that couple who picked up £101M the other week on the Euro Millions lottery. *sigh*

11. RichD

Surely...

"Where are all the real DeLorean Time Machines that were used in the Back to the Future movies?"

Surely the question is not *where* they are but *when* they are?

1. Tom 13
      Coat

Even if you know when,

you still need to know where.

Although there would seem to be more diversity in when than where. Unless of course he manages to meet a man in a blue box. But I expect the results of that meeting would be more catastrophic than crossing the streams.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Ruptured Fuel Tank

Have they repaired the fuel tank?

Also how much more is it for one that still flies?

13. sisk

Lend me some cash?

I'll need about a million or so in cash. Lend it to me and I'll immediately pull up next to myself in a DeLorean, hand you back the money, and then hop into the DeLorean with myself and speed off leaving only a pair of firey tire tracks as evidence that I was ever there.

14. Bunker_Monkey

BTTF Car

They're making them again but with better spares and engines...

:)

Would love to see a time around the Top Gear track!

15. Paul Woodhouse

heh, I've had a hankering for a DeLorean for ages...

The main thing that puts me off is I'd end up on an assault charge for twatting the 50th person who asked me where the flux capacitor is...

but that Volvo/Renault engine can be upgraded to the one from an Alpine Turbo very easily... mmmmm

This topic is closed for new posts.