back to article Ace Combat: Assault Horizon

“For good or for ill, air mastery is the supreme expression of military power,” said Churchill, “and fleets and armies, however vital and important, must accept a subordinate rank.” Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Taken under the wing That may be true in the real world, but when it comes to videogames air combat has long …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. DragonKin37
    Mushroom

Don't understand

1UP and Gamespot gave low ratings. Yet all others gave this game Good ratings. Not Superb or Great but something worth playing for a weekend or two.

1. Bailey
      Paris Hilton

A couple of nights in Ace Combat

Much better than Hawx 2 and Air Conflicts: Secret Wars, IMHO.

I'm no great lover of dogfighting games, save Crimson Skies and Il-2 Sturmovick. But Ace Combat is definitely worth a trip to Blockbusters.

The game has a decent amount of playability for a few nights if you're willing to trade realism for pumping action.

Paris... for exactly the same reason!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I daresay that tells you a lot about 1UP and Gamespot

2. Greg J Preece

Played the demo on PSN

I quite enjoyed the plane mission, though as mentioned, it's very simplified, and I too was reminded immediately of HAWX. I ditched the default over-the-wing and 3rd-person modes immediately, as I always do, and it seemed competent enough.

Where I thought it would really shine was the helicopter mission. To my surprise, it didn't come across well. The controls seem rather obtuse, like the developers should have played G Police first, and they've tried to bring over some of the dogfighty feel from plane combat by allowing you to dodge missiles...via barrel roll....

Yeah, that was kinda when my suspension of disbelief shattered entirely. The chopper mission is also hard as hell. I'll give it another shot this weekend, see if it improves with a second go.

3. MJI Silver badge

I want one with British jets

Decent game with Lightning, Harrier, Vulcan ect.

I am sure a lot will buy.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon
      Joke

Sir

So you're into retro then?

4. Insane Reindeer
    Pint

This review has just set my weekend up nicely!

Indeed it has! It reminded me that I have downloaded the latest mod pack for Falcon 4! Got to go and dig my discs out and install it again I'll admit, but a great weekend of flying and fighting awaits!

5. /dev/null
    Coat

Balls to the floor?

Balls to the wall surely? Unless your throttle quadrant has come adrift :-)

6. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

Puzzled

Tu-95s over Dubai?

What is it, a Russian response to Burj Al Arab being fully booked?

7. Annihilator
    Go

Straight out of Top Gun

"By hitting the air brakes and overlapping red and green threat markers on your HUD, holding L2 and R2 pulls of a special manoeuvre to outfox your pursuer and bring them directly into your sights."

Or more succinctly, as Maverick put it: "I'm bringing him in closer. I'm gonna hit the brakes, he'll fly right by. Woooo! Let's see what you've got now Jester..."

1. Brandon 2

just so you know...

below the hard deck doesn't count... you should probably get your butts up to Viper's office...

8. Veldan
    Thumb Down

No longer Ace Comabt

I really wish they'd just ditched the Ace Combat title from this...

The history and story of the Ace Combat world (The Belkan World, etc) were just too cool and allowed so much play room in regards to story and let us have flights of fancy with tech pushing just beyond the real world...

Being set in the real world limits the story, limits the tech and makes it feel even more like every other flying game out there, aka, boring. These games were the only flight games I truly liked due to their unreal elements (Good old Ace Combat 3 in particular, though 4 was the best :D).

H.A.W.K.S was a bad rip off of Ace Combat, now Ace Combat is slightly less crappy version of H.A.W.K.S... damn...

I want my X-02 back!

9. Danny 5
    Happy

fan

i've been a huge fan of the series for a long time and have been eagerly anticipating the arrival of the new installment. i had it on preorder and it arrived yesterday evening. haven't tried it yet, but will give it a try when i get home today.

Still not 100% sure what to expect, the new dogfight style has both been praised, as well as criticized, so i'll have to wait and see how well it works.

1. Danny 5
      Thumb Up

you know what?

so far so good. i need to get used to the new style view, as it seems to be quite a bit closer to the fighter and controls seem more responsive compared to previous versions, but i'm liking what i'm seeing so far. People who don't like the new scheme can still fight in classic style, but it'll be nigh on impossible to kill the aces that are flying around. The new dogfight setup works well, but also takes some getting used to when you're used to the old style of playing, the flying will be mostly done by the computer, but you don't really notice it until you move left and the fighter goes right (in response to the target's movement).

first time out i splashed into the ocean, because i wasn't paying attention, will need to pay a bit more attention on my next run.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

May get this, I hate realistic flight simulators and there just isn't enough arcade style flight games about.

If it's as arcady as said then BANDAI MAKE A MACROSS FLIGHT SIM NAOW! As in right now, no dont' wait, just go, do it, naow!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like