back to article Ubuntu One client now available for Windows

Canonical has moved its Ubuntu One file-synchronization service for Windows out of beta, with the new build of the operating system. Ubuntu One gives users 5GB of free cloud storage that allows files and music to be selectively synchronized on Ubuntu, Android, iOS, and now Windows devices. Users can buy 20GB of extra storage …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Greg J Preece

One word question: Kubuntu?

1. David1

Two word question

Other distributions?

2. Robert E A Harvey
    Thumb Down

I know its considered cheaper than its rivals, but it still seems like a load of money to me. And once hooked you can't stop paying,...

1. rciafardone
      Alert

@Robert E A Harvey

What do you mean you can not stop paying?

3. tardigrade

"Ubuntu One client now available for Windows"

As much as I love Linux...

...I can nearly hear the sound of tumble weed above my tinnitus.

1. marky_boi
      Linux

is the data encrypted in the cloud???

I read a report the Ubuntu one data was not encrypted in a well sourced Linux magazine.

Is this correct ?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

diy

Amazon S3 is not encrypted (only recently they brought out server side encryption). Therefore Dropbox and all other 'cloud' offerings aren't either.

It would be foolish to assume any providers would provide encryption by default. As always, deal with encryption yourself via Truecrypt.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Dropbox data needs to not be encrypted

They de-dupe it.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

When I get a Windows Live ID I get SkyDrive. 5Gb worth of storage as well. And besides that I get a free e-mail service (hotmail) too. So how is this a 'bargain' again ?

5. Tim Bates

Nice... But...

Have they implemented the ability to go via authenticated proxies yet? That lack of a feature was the ONLY reason I never started using Ubuntu One.

I've now left the job that needed that, and work very close to home so I don't need it.

6. SnowShell
    Thumb Down

Bleh

So they're giving away 5GB of storage, nothing new so is Microsoft. Cloud computing, I am not sure if I would be ready to embrace cloud computing and leaving my head along with my documents floating in the clouds. After reading another article on here that nearly made me choke when I saw the words, if Only Linux was as secure as Mac OS X Lion, I reflected silently that Linux has always been just as secure. The words BUY storage certainly gave me real pause, you mean PAY someone else to look after my documents instead of look after them MYSELF! Actually @Canonical I prefer using Philip Newborough's OS CrunchBang Linux on Debian far more than I ever enjoyed using Ubuntu and I agree with Stallman about Cloud computing.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ubuntu One

Unlike the Ubuntu project, Debian does not have a commercial sponsor with any commercial interests. This was never an issue for myself, until recently when Canonical seem to have become less of a sponsor and more of a governing party; I know this is debatable, but I believe that some of their recent decisions might not necessarily have been made with the best interest of their users/community at heart.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like